DVDVR Message Board

God Save The Queen - SDL - 3/26/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Doing another gauntlet match was idiotic. If Vince was that gungho to prevent Kofi from getting a shot why would he allow a forfeiture and a countout? We could’ve just had the same basic moment last week after Kofi went an hour beating 5 dudes.

• Like 1

Charlotte/Asuka was fantastic and complete bullshit at the same time. That was easily as good if not better than last year's WM match, but there was just no remotely good reason for it happening and it does nothing good for anyone. And this is all coming from a big Charlotte fan.

Angle/AJ was kind of fun while it lasted and sadly went probably exactly how it should have with Angle being as bad as he is now.

Not big on New Day having to get Kofi in the match, but I did dig the gauntlet and how it played out.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RIShane said:

While they can always change things, they specifically said the main event is still for the Raw belt alone. My guess is Becky wins, and it sets up the eventual 4HW/4HW feud as all four will have belts.

I feel bad for Bayley and Sasha since they're going to be saddled with Duke and Shafir. Duke, in particular, looks really awkward in the ring. 

• Like 1

SDL is erasing it's history of random HOLLA HOLLA TAG TEAM MATCH crap by always running gauntlet matches. Even still, that was a cool ass moment at the end.

Charlotte vs Asuka...First, the Spanish Fly will never not freak me out because it always looks like someone is incredibly close to dying on that. Second, the match was great. Third, fuck that stupid ass WCW 2000 booking. I can just hear Vince in the back screaming about "WE NEED TO SHAKE THINGS UP!"

Angle is beyond shot. I feel so bad for the dude. Corbin is going to have to carry Angle and that's fucking hilarious.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think by New Day putting in as much work on the mic as they have for Kofi and now winning the match to get Kofi the shot it is possibly planting the seeds for the breakup.  

I don't know why you or other people keep thinking the New Day are going to break up. That would be beyond idiotic. Not to mention that I doubt Kofi, Woods, and Big E even go for it. They appear to be pretty well protected.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I don't know why you or other people keep thinking the New Day are going to break up. That would be beyond idiotic. Not to mention that I doubt Kofi, Woods, and Big E even go for it. They appear to be pretty well protected.

To be fair after tonight's Charlotte/Asuka mat can we really say much about them not doing beyond idiotic moves?

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, mystman said:

So they're going to put Asuka in the Wrestlemania main event and make it a four-way,right?

Right?

Guys?

Not a chance..  but they had a cool ass moment when Ronda debuted at the Royal Rumble last year.  She extended her hand and Asuka was like "Fuck all that.." 

• Like 1

D2n__uAW0AAXzB-?format=jpg&name=small

NXT Papa H must be pissed at Asuka's main roster booking from when she lost her undefeated streak to Charlotte Flair at WrestleMania XXXIV. Only highpoint after that was winning the WWE Smackdown Live Women's Championship at TLC 2018 and making Becky Lynch tapout at the Royal Rumble in January.

• Like 4

I'll be in the minority, and say while I'm the biggest Asuka fan on this board and have been since day one, it probably was the right call for Charlotte to win.  It's obvious why she did as it makes for an obvious "WM moment" (the Horsewomen stand tall with all the belts after the first womens' WM main event.)  Asuka vs ANY of those challengers ends up on the pre-show.  I'd say Asuka could at least win the battle royale, but pretty sure Lacey struts down at the end to win without doing anything.

And God, I NEVER want to see a gauntlet match again.  Again, every team not the New Day looked like the biggest losers.  Usos are my heroes for coming out and saying "Nope, not doing it."

• Like 2

As soon as I heard “and is for the Smackdown Women’s Championship”, I said “oh fuck” lol because I knew what was coming. Nice match though. And i guess they’re going to throw everything and the kitchen sink in this Mania main event. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Makes sense to me in the context of the bigger picture.

* Needed to get one match off the card. Leaving the SD Women's Title off the card would draw the wrong kind of heat.
* Makes the result of the main event a little bit more murkier (especially if they announce on Raw that both titles are on the line. The internet freaks out even more that Becky is going to pin Charlotte for the blue belt)
* Gives Charlotte a justifiable reason to go off and do something else post-Mania
* Gives us a reason to remember why she's in the main event in the first place, rather than just being the third wheel she's currently booked as. She's beaten Asuka relatively easily and cleanly twice. The same Asuka who beat Becky similarly easily and cleanly. More doubt on whether Becky can do it. 

I'll bet a month's salary WWE creative did not put anywhere near this much thought into it. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

8 time champion ?      How many years was Ric in the business before he got to 8?  Like 20 years?  

Yeah but he was like champion for two years at a time. Charloettes Longest reign was like 10 months.

I think the Mania main event ends up being for both belts. Becky's pre-match promo saying Charlotte is not bringing anything to the match foreshadows this. 

Becky submits Rousey to win both belts. She and Charlotte respect hug it out, Bayley and Sasha join in. All the belts, and the Four Horsewomen stand tall. 

Next night on Raw, Asuka loses her mind, and beats the holy hell out of Becky. We finally get the heel turn they started to move towards in NXT, and she ends up further ahead than a Mania match with Mandy and Sonya would have done for her. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

The end with the faces rushing out was such an earned moment, too. I will free admit that it got a little dusty in my house for a second. I love this storyline so much. It's pretty much perfect. I wish every year was #KofiMania.

Oh, I was teary for Kofi and the New Day as well.  They couldn't have made them more sympathetic, and the Usos segment was fucking perfect.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I think the Mania main event ends up being for both belts. Becky's pre-match promo saying Charlotte is not bringing anything to the match foreshadows this. 

Becky submits Rousey to win both belts. She and Charlotte respect hug it out, Bayley and Sasha join in. All the belts, and the Four Horsewomen stand tall. 

Next night on Raw, Asuka loses her mind, and beats the holy hell out of Becky. We finally get the heel turn they started to move towards in NXT, and she ends up further ahead than a Mania match with Mandy and Sonya would have done for her. 

Tend to agree with this, but wonder if they do a "Loser of the fall loses their title" stipulation so Charlotte gets to hold one up at the end of Mania also?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Doing another gauntlet match was idiotic. If Vince was that gungho to prevent Kofi from getting a shot why would he allow a forfeiture and a countout? We could’ve just had the same basic moment last week after Kofi went an hour beating 5 dudes.

Because Bryan pissed off Vince during the opening segment.  He was on board until Bryan started heeling and Vince had to pull the tide back.

You can't claim an evolution in women's wrestling if you legitimately destroy the division for one story and ultimately four participants. Why are the other women even on the roster? The women in the Fatal 4-Way didn't even get a chance to try. Maybe they do a story with all this, but it feels rotten in the now.

Edited by Burgundy LaRue
  • Like 8