DVDVR Message Board

God Save The Queen - SDL - 3/26/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Asuka's title reign was dead in the water the moment she won it. Which is unfortunate she deserves so much better. Hottest thing going in NXT, goes up to the main roster tons momentum, wins the Rumble, loses to Charlotte at Mania and then a whole lot of nothing.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Happy for Kofi and loved the gauntlet match BUT.....    FUCK.   Did you know that they announced the match as still being for the RAW Women's title?  Everyone is saying this must be unification but that is not how they just announced it.  

Would they really have all 4 Horsewomen end Mania with all the belts?  Well, yes they could do that but WHY THE FUCK is Charlotte in this goddamn match?  She could have beat Asuka (not that I would have wanted to see her beat Asuka again) at WrestleMania and they could have had that same ending.  

Charlotte has no reason to be involved especially now..   her title isn't on the line?  Come on.  I feel for Asuka, she is the best women's wrestler they have and they just completely undercut her every time.  

Also, what about that #1 contender match?

• Like 3

The final hour was another masterpiece. What an epic, gut-wrenching hour. Xavier and Big E. are really friggin' amazing professional wrestlers.

I remember the first time I saw Xavier in NXT. I thought he was absolutely awful. He somehow transformed himself first into a great annoying mouthpiece heel and then from there into one of the best spitfire small babyfaces in years. I was at the Raw where they had to go through whoever to become the longest reigning tag champs of all time. This sort of had a similar feel to it. 

The Usos segment was just amazing. I thought we were maybe going to get a match between the two great rivals. But The Usos showing respect and tipping the cap like that was such a great moment. It also was great timing as it let X and Big E. get a bit of a breather AND the audience, too, for DB and Rowan. 

I don't think Rowan has ever gotten enough credit. He's such a great big lug. He's pretty perfect at the role of "gigantic dude who takes the whipping for his mentor." The end was so great. I loved that The New Day didn't win the final spot via a pinfall. They won because of cunning teamwork and Big E. using both his insane strength and cleverness to bury Rowan under the table. (Set up perfectly by the earlier table spot.) 

The end with the faces rushing out was such an earned moment, too. I will free admit that it got a little dusty in my house for a second. I love this storyline so much. It's pretty much perfect. I wish every year was #KofiMania.

• Like 6

I do agree with what was said in the WM thread about this introducing some non-zero risk of the fans turning on the main event. They will be tired. They will be cranky. And they will remember that one of their favorites lost out in this who chain of events. Especially if they play the social media angles posted above, they are sowing a seed they didn’t need to plant.

There's really no point in keeping the SD women's title. Asuka gets buried again and this basically says none of the other women were worth having a title match.

It wasn't hard to figure out. Becky/Ronda with Becky winning, Asuka/Charlotte II with Asuka getting her win back. It isn't brain surgery.

The Miz should never have been turned face again. There's nothing that says sympathetic babyface about him. That brawl certainly didn't make him look like a firey babyface. 

Rowan's Children of Bodom shirt wasn't bad.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 5

Makes sense to me in the context of the bigger picture.

* Needed to get one match off the card. Leaving the SD Women's Title off the card would draw the wrong kind of heat.
* Makes the result of the main event a little bit more murkier (especially if they announce on Raw that both titles are on the line. The internet freaks out even more that Becky is going to pin Charlotte for the blue belt)
* Gives Charlotte a justifiable reason to go off and do something else post-Mania
* Gives us a reason to remember why she's in the main event in the first place, rather than just being the third wheel she's currently booked as. She's beaten Asuka relatively easily and cleanly twice. The same Asuka who beat Becky similarly easily and cleanly. More doubt on whether Becky can do it. 

• Like 3

It's almost like the women got the memo to act as disgruntled as possible.

Not gonna lie the idea of the NXT four finishing Mania with all the gold would be an iconic moment that will be shown in video packages for years and years which of course is a shame that's it come at the expense of others but that's wrestling. 

Now will there be some backlash? It's already started. If they're trying to insulate all the heat in Charlotte then they're doing a pretty good job of that, but there's always the possibility of fans ruining the fun by hijacking the match in favor of Asuka and the other girls.

There was a women's revolution, and Bayley, Sasha, Charlotte and Becky were always the chosen ones.

• Like 1

I bet next week that they're going to announce the triple threat will be to unify the Women's titles or something. Otherwise it makes no sense. 

Becky Lynch this year, and Daniel Bryan in 2014... they didn't have anyone win their place in their championship matches for them. I get the storytelling, I guess, but it seems really weak to have Kofi "fail" to earn it himself last week, and this week it's his two buddies that get him the chance.

EDIT: Ending WrestleMania with all NXT Horsewomen with their belts, in the ring, would be DUMB AS FUCK since Becky and Charlotte have been in a blood feud since like, August. Makes no fuckin' sense. It's okay for them to drop kayfabe on ESPN and shit.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Kofi's road to WM: lose a gauntlet, lose the Chamber, lose to the Bar, lose another gauntlet, and then have his friends get his shot for him. Awful booking, but whatever I think he's the biggest lock to win at Mania.

As baffling as the title change is, I thought the Charlotte/Asuka match was really awesome. Loved Charlotte's spanish fly. Sad that Asuka loses her WM match though, was looking forward to her against Sonya/mandy

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I do agree with what was said in the WM thread about this introducing some non-zero risk of the fans turning on the main event. They will be tired. They will be cranky. And they will remember that one of their favorites lost out in this who chain of events. Especially if they play the social media angles posted above, they are sowing a seed they didn’t need to plant.

As much as I love Asuka,  I'll be on sausage #4,  beer #12.   They are on THEIR OWN.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I understand the anger, but that Asuka/Charlotte match was pretty incredible, they had great near-falls, counters upon counters, and I think that Spanish Fly topped the one at WM 34. Charlotte's tweet about it is all class, too:

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

I bet next week that they're going to announce the triple threat will be to unify the Women's titles or something. Otherwise it makes no sense. 

Becky Lynch this year, and Daniel Bryan in 2014... they didn't have anyone win their place in their championship matches for them. I get the storytelling, I guess, but it seems really weak to have Kofi "fail" to earn it himself last week, and this week it's his two buddies that get him the chance.

EDIT: Ending WrestleMania with all NXT Horsewomen with their belts, in the ring, would be DUMB AS FUCK since Becky and Charlotte have been in a blood feud since like, August. Makes no fuckin' sense. It's okay for them to drop kayfabe on ESPN and shit.

While they can always change things, they specifically said the main event is still for the Raw belt alone. My guess is Becky wins, and it sets up the eventual 4HW/4HW feud as all four will have belts.