DVDVR Message Board

EURO 2020

Liam

That was a horrible performance, giving up goals way too easy against a very tenacious, but limited side. This needs to be way different against England in six days, if we want a shot at winning there. 

After the 90 minutes on the pitch, there is virtually no point to be made for giving any more minutes to Leroy Sané. He can be really good, but he just doesn't work in this setup and his style of play just has no upside. I'd love to be proven wrong, but damn... 

Sweden did their part. I hope they can beat Ukraine. 

According to a commentator I heard, the own goal count in this EURO ties the own goal count of all EUROs until now with the two own goals from Spain vs Slovakia. 

Might be the time for England indeed. They have a strong, solid team, we are ripe for the picking, their one actual away game will be against either Sweden or Ukraine, the bracket is somewhat easier while the other bracket will be a war of attrition for whoever makes it through. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 10:04 AM, The Natural said:

Fancy England to beat Germany this go round next Tuesday at 5pm.

14 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

Might be the time for England indeed. They have a strong, solid team, we are ripe for the picking, their one actual away game will be against either Sweden or Ukraine, the bracket is somewhat easier while the other bracket will be a war of attrition for whoever makes it through. 

I agree with all you say. Not long to go.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 11:20 PM, ReiseReise said:

I don't know, England did not really impress me in the group stages. There were three teams I would put way ahead of them (Italy, Netherlands and Belgium) and some more that I would favour over England. Besides the bracket and the potential of a full Wembley (and the way COVID numbers are developing in the UK, I would not bet on that for the semis and finals, no matter what the UEFA wants), there is not much speaking for them.

Apropos COVID and the Euro: there have already been close to 100 infections among Finnish fans who attended their final game against Belgium in St. Peterburg (I think out of 1000 fans tested so far).

• Like 1

Apparently, there were also quite a few infections among the Danish fans. 

England weren't awe inspiring, but I think the way they played so far was very solid. Netherlands are without a doubt talented, but they seem to have lapses of concentration at times. Belgium I'm not sold on. The group was too weird to really grasp how strong they can be. I'll take the wait and see approach, but they will have to beat tough sides to even get through to the finals. Same Italy, who looked strongest so far. Knockouts are going to be amazing! 

Italy looks mortal after all, good defense by Austria, but it looked like a matter of time in the first half. Second half Austria looked better, actually. This extra time is going to be interesting. 

Italy came out swinging and showed class, but Austria never gave up and actually got a goal back, breaking Italy's "non-conceed-streak" of 1200-sth minutes. Respect to our neighbours. 

Edited by ReiseReise

I guess being disappointed at being eliminated is the best we could have hoped for before the match. The 10 minutes before and after the offside goal, I really believed that the upset might be possible (as at that point Italy seemed insecure, made simple mistakes and Austria was pushing). Afterwards the Austrian team showed the effect of the intense match and the Austrian coach should have done a couple of substitutions and not wait until the players physically could not continue (Austria exchanged one player before the first goal, Italy four).

The first goal of the Italians looked to me a bit like Chiesa stopped the ball with his left hand, but I guess the VAR could not find a camera angle to proof it (or he did and it was no hands after all).

Netherlands were very bad post-red card. I hate the sub to bring on Promes. Hate it. Rest of the game every time the Czechs were coming forward Netherlands were clearly a man short and they were playing with fire. And all Promes did was fall down a couple times, and give away a couple really cheap fouls (one of which led to the second goal). He never really generated a single decent attack. They looked like a team without a plan. Wijnaldum is dropping back as your emergency defender because the players know you're one short, come on man.

The Czechs are nothing that special really but they played a solid game and they've got enough finishing you can't just play 2 guys at the back and expect success, you know?

35 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

And all Promes did was fall down a couple times, and give away a couple really cheap fouls (one of which led to the second goal). He never really generated a single decent attack.

That you didn't see fit to update your twitter followers that he #FellDown is a travesty and I shall give great thought to unfollowing you.

• Haha 1