DVDVR Message Board

EURO 2020

Liam

Weird to get the jitterbug when turning and 0-1 into 4-1 and looking like world beaters. Good match though, lots of created chances, six goals. Hopefully we won't throw it all away against the Magyar. 

Defense is worrying at times for some reason. 

Edited by ReiseReise

@odessastepshas @The Naturalon ignore...I wouldn't have thought Spain would get any troubles in the group, but I'm happy Sweden has a shot at making it out of the group.

Edit: I take it back, I just can't read. 

I think Italy might be the strongest squad in the tournament right now, but it is still five games for everyone still in contention to win the whole thing. Is Northern Macedonia the only team eliminated for sure or is Denmark out aswell? 

Edited by ReiseReise
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 8:44 PM, odessasteps said:

(There's always the 3rd place route)

4 points will be enough for a round of 16 slot. Austria today was in the weird situation that a draw against Ukraine might have been a better result than a victory. Now as runner-up in group C they (we) have to play against Italy. Via a draw and taking the 3rd place route (which would have been almost guaranteed with 4 points and an equal goal difference), the opponent in the KO games would have been one of the winners of group E or F (more like E than F which might be Sweden if they beat Poland).

49 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Thus Denmark match is wild. 

The second Danish goal was one of the biggest gifts I have seen on that level. You have to be insane to try such a blind pass back to the goalkeeper - without the slightest idea where the goalkeeper might be standing (and the guess of the Russian defender was off completely).

As a former GK myself, I feel really bad for the Russian goalie. The third goal in particular, where he made three brilliant saves within 30 seconds only to get beaten after that Danish player went Captain Tsubasa style on that shot. The second goal was more of an error, but that one had to sting. 

Feel kind of sorry for the Finns, but I guess Belgium was on another level in that group. 

I mean, Denmark were never not going to win that one, right? In Copenhagen? With that crowd? Nah.

Made all the better by Micah Richards covering it and sounding like he was having the time of his life; a man who brings out the best in all the other pundits around him and managed to make Roy Keane break character on TV and now they seem like genuine mates. 

Best pundits or commentators on ITV/BBC of the tournament so far? Richards and Ally McCoist, quite easily with a shoutout to Emma Hayes who actually analyses the match and doesn't just throw out empty cliched generic nonsense like Jenas or Spud Murphy when they've clearly never seen a player play before and are just bluffing their way through it. 

''So Jermaine, what do you think of -insert attacking midfielder here-?''

''Yeah, he finds little pockets of space, he's not afraid to shoot from 25 yards, he's got a goal in him'' etc. etc. etc. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Apparently the stadium in Cologne is going to light up their stadium. 

From what I've heard, multiple Bundesliga stadiums will get rainbow lighting. I actually think it would not hurt to do this every June, EURO or not. Football, at its core, is still quite homophobe and it would be wise to work against this. 

I watched the England match yesterday, but fell asleep midway through the second half. Everybody was talking up the three lions, but I have to admit I wasn't impressed. Then again knockout stages will be where it's add. Today is going to be a long footballing day with Sweden VS Poland and Germany VS Hungary.

Hoping for wins for tre kronor and die Mannschaft, maybe both can even win their respective groups. Matches are both tough. 

Those were two wild hours and I guess not the best for Germans with heart problems.

On paper the KO bracket looks to be a bit uneven, just looking at the names. The upper half has Belgium, Portugal, Italy, France, Spain and Croatia (plus Austria and Switzeland), the lower half England, Germany and the Netherlands (plus Wales, Denmark, the Czech Republic, Sweden and the Ukraine). I am still a bit pissed that the Ukraine got rewarded for their shitty game against Austria with a game against Sweden. They still might be the underdogs but nowhere near as much as they would be against Italy (Austria's opponent as runner up in group C). Also they now have a seven-days break which cannot hurt either.