DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Thoughts and Prayers - 3/25/2019

Dolfan in NYC

12 hours ago, just drew said:

I might be the only person watching who just couldn't give a shit about Drew McIntyre. Just does nothing for me.

It's often talked about someone bringing a lot to the table, but then the bell rings. McIntyre is the opposite. He's great inside the ring, but what happens before and after is lacking. I feel like he hasn't improved his connection to the crowd since his first time in WWE. They do what they can to build heat for him, but it doesn't take. I don't know. I see the positives with him. But if he can't do the one thing a monster heel is supposed to do, then why bother.

• Like 3

I prefer Drew as a face and think the biggest misstep was bringing him in to team with Dolph.  Their attempts to make him more hated by feuding with Roman are great though I'm hoping after Wrestlemania they find a way to turn him and see how he fares.  You don't even need to change much as intense badass Drew is something I can see people rooting for.

• Like 1

I don't know why he isn't getting over. To me he seems like The Guy. His promos are decent (if you can ignore them drive Roman's leukaemia into the ground for God awful shitty non-heat), he looks a stud and can go. Pairing with Dolph and playing sidekick to Corbin hurt him but after his rebuild I hoped he'd be more over than this. 

Edited by scatterheart

28 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

It's often talked about someone bringing a lot to the table, but then the bell rings. McIntyre is the opposite. He's great inside the ring, but what happens before and after is lacking. I feel like he hasn't improved his connection to the crowd since his first time in WWE. They do what they can to build heat for him, but it doesn't take. I don't know. I see the positives with him. But if he can't do the one thing a monster heel is supposed to do, then why bother.

That's a good way of saying that, actually. Also, I fully acknowledge that a lot of my grievances have more to do with my taste than any actual shortcomings of these performers. I prefer big personalities in big moments, rather than people having great matches. I think that's why I'd much rather watch Becky than Charlotte, for example, or why I don't understand the appeal of the Revival. You can have all the great matches you want, but if I'm not connected to the characters involved, I'm just gonna check my watch. Which is why the success of Smackdown is so baffling to me. It's clear WWE can tell great stories when they want to. They just have no idea what their pieces are on Raw. 

It's hard to put a finger on, but Drew is missing a bit of something to connect with the crowd. But there are so few guys with his size and presence in the ring these days that I'm a huge fan. In a culture shifting towards indie-tastic superworkers (an observation, not a criticism), Drew stands out. 

1 minute ago, just drew said:

They just have no idea what their pieces are on Raw. 

Part of the problem on Raw is they've been padding the time between Brock appearances with forgettable trios to take on the Shield and too much Lashley and Elias and Corbin. They need a top belt to give some guys direction and they need to shuffle some faces from one brand to the other.

They could also stand to trim Raw by an hour, but we know that isn't happening. 

Even on Hulu this show dragged on. Very light on wrestling. Very heavy on talking.

I would call Kurt's dropkick awful but that would be an insult to awful.

When i first heard that Michael Che and Colin Just were gonna be involved at Mania i was hoping for a Wrestlemania Themed Weekend Update in the middle of mania acting as a sort of intermission we are getting Che and Just in the Andre Battle Royal in an angle with braun Strowman. I wonder who gets eliminated by them, Hawkins?

Knowing how this company books, Just and Che will inadvertently eliminate Braun, seemingly co-winning but Che eliminates Just in a double cross while their hands are raised.  

The battle royal means nothing, and neither does Braun. He won the tag titles almost a year ago with a pre-teen boy. Complaining about this angle and Braun's booking at this point is just pointless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

The battle royal means nothing, and neither does Braun. He won the tag titles almost a year ago with a pre-teen boy. Complaining about this angle and Braun's booking at this point is just pointless.

Braun's basically Hillbilly Jim at this point.

• Like 3

I understand that they didn't see Braun as a top guy, and even why.

But I can't fucking believe they killed him even becoming an "attraction." They could've protected him, and built into something closer to mid-90's Undertaker. But instead...

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:03 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

By the numbers Raw in front of a decent crowd.

I legit giggled at Jost pulling the Yankees cap out and saying his parents paid $3 million to get him on the women's cross country team.  

Jost is the Millennial Pete Rose and the role of Kane will be played by Braun Strowman.

• Like 3