DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Thoughts and Prayers - 3/25/2019

Dolfan in NYC

By the numbers Raw in front of a decent crowd.

I legit giggled at Jost pulling the Yankees cap out and saying his parents paid $3 million to get him on the women's cross country team.  

Some of us at least are still here to work. And so...

Into every generation a Player is born: one boy in all the world, a chosen one. He alone will wield the idiosynchratic color sense and passion for pattern contrast to fight the slobs, yoga pants, and the forces of Tommy Bahama; to stop the spread of their denim and the swell of their dad bod haggar slacks with the stretchy waist bands. He is the Player.  His story is...

Batista Fashion Watch.

Tonight, as only he could Big Dave Batista appears in the well-known style of:

Spoiler

phantom-8.jpg

Spoiler

buckaroosequel2.jpg

Spoiler

tourista.jpg?w=1920

Spoiler

11.jpg

Spoiler

doctor.gif

Spoiler

airplane_2b.png?itok=PtP2c0IX

Spoiler

tumblr_mzv903qPcu1qz5q5lo1_500.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I feel really bad for the Riott Squad. I mean, I mostly feel bad for Ruby Riott, but it's fucking ludicrous that they were just the designated jobbers tonight. I get needing to get Ronda, Becky, and Charlotte over, but one, they're all already over, and two, there's better ways to further their feud other than seeing just how fast they can run through the Riott Squad.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, super nice of Roman and Seth to just leave Dean for dead.

You'd at least think Roman would take out the guy he's facing at WM.

Bringing up Roman's leukemia is never going to end. It's so cringeworthy every single time.

Half-crippled Kurt Angle beating Samoa Joe makes me sad, even if it was Joe essentially beating himself.

I also feel bad for the Riott Squad being sacrificed for three people that don't need it.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

I think the Riotts will pick up a win next week when Becky, Ronda and Charlotte start infighting but this is an issue with having so few women on the roster,  it's time to call some females up or maybe trot out Alicia Fox and Mickie James a little more often.. 

Also,  Sasha and Nattie was good while it lasted. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

I get that heels are usually delusional, but Nia and Tamina lost cleanly to Sasha and Bayley. It makes no sense keeping them in this angle. They should really only be allowed to face one another. Let them potato the fuck out of each other.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

I'm sure Joe didn't mind taking the fall, but Angle was losing clean to Corbin not so long ago.

Angle's story is kinda underwhelming that it's being built as this farewell tour and no matter what Angle does from today until Wrestlemania he's always going to be leaving and it isn't being built to some retirement match or whatever.

I figure he didn't want the Flair/Michaels retirement angle as he hasn't come to terms with being *done* yet despite looking like he's in pain all the time and can't even rotate his neck and plans to carry on working limited dates elsewhere.

I figure Angle was done a long time ago, ten years even, by his own admission he was self-medicating with pills just to get through matches years before he was doing insane stage dives and all that other shit in TNA.

As for Raw I'm not sure what that Triple H promo was but I dug the hell out of it, it's like he went out there with an envelope and just winged it. 

Actually dug Joe/Angle a decent bit. Thought it was better worked around Angle's limitations than his other matches.

I was fine with how Riott Squad was handled. Ronda is in destroyer mode so Sara getting murdered made sense. Liv has always been lowest on the totem poll in the group and still lost via flash pin. Ruby didn't lose or tap to Charlotte. The issue I had with this part tonight was that it really just didn't add anything and is another reminder of how much depth the division lacks with RS beign the designated jobbers tonight. Really hope they get a move to SDL and push post-WM.

Sasha/Nattie was one of their better matches, and it was neat getting to see Beth stand tall.

The end of that Seth/Heyman segment made me think of Eddie from the Last Dragon when he was begging not to get his ass kicked.

I skipped around a bunch of other stuff (HHH, Roman/Drew) or had Raw more in the background (Corbin/Apollo, Dean/Drew), but what I paid attention tonight was generally decent.

Edited by Eivion

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I feel really bad for the Riott Squad. I mean, I mostly feel bad for Ruby Riott, but it's fucking ludicrous that they were just the designated jobbers tonight. I get needing to get Ronda, Becky, and Charlotte over, but one, they're all already over, and two, there's better ways to further their feud other than seeing just how fast they can run through the Riott Squad.

In fairness, Ruby in particular got protected. It was an essentially meaningless set of the matches, but it neatly encapsulated the last few months' booking with Charlotte unable to get her first win since November, and Becky able to win and easily beat Ronda's time despite interference. That said, it did remind me of how much I'd like to see another Ruby/Charlotte match, those (the Natural Selection dodge and Riott Kick into Figure 8 ) were some nice counters for such a short 'match'.

Edited by RIShane

It's been over a month since it's been announced, and I still can't decide if I think Dean Ambrose is actually leaving or not.

Ugh. Seth Rollins can't talk. Even a little bit. At least Roman Reigns is believable. I'll never understand what this company thinks Seth Rollins has that Dean Ambrose doesn't. Ambrose is the more compelling personality and better talker by at least a factor of ten.

"Moment of Bliss" was fun, but it's telling that the two goofs from "Weekend Update" have done more to help build Wrestlemania than that the top champ on their supposed "A" show. I like Weekend Update, for the record, but it's telling. Hopefully Alexa will be a "full go" soon, since she worked all the house shows over the weekend. 

The women's match being the main tells me that Becky is going over. And she should. Rousey is a garbage human being and Charlotte is just shoehorned in. She's a fantastic athlete with no gimmick to speak of at all. Why anyone would want her as the face of the division when Becky Lynch, Bayley, Alexa Bliss, Nikki Cross, and Ruby RIott are on the roster is beyond me. Even Carmella at least has some personality. Charlotte is great because we are continually beaten over the head with her perceived greatness. 

Bayley's brought her working boots since the Rumble. Good for her. She deserved better than she got last year. Hopefully this leads to bigger things for her. 

I might be the only person watching who just couldn't give a shit about Drew McIntyre. Just does nothing for me.

Neither tag team does much for me. The Revival couldn't draw money with a green crayon and Aleister Black and Ricochet would be better served as singles. 

How is Smackdown consistently so good and Raw consistently so mediocre?

Edited by just drew

6 hours ago, piranesi said:

Some of us at least are still here to work. And so...

Into every generation a Player is born: one boy in all the world, a chosen one. He alone will wield the idiosynchratic color sense and passion for pattern contrast to fight the slobs, yoga pants, and the forces of Tommy Bahama; to stop the spread of their denim and the swell of their dad bod haggar slacks with the stretchy waist bands. He is the Player.  His story is...

Batista Fashion Watch.

Tonight, as only he could Big Dave Batista appears in the well-known style of:

Hide contents

phantom-8.jpg

Hide contents

buckaroosequel2.jpg

Hide contents

tourista.jpg?w=1920

Hide contents

11.jpg

Hide contents

doctor.gif

Hide contents

airplane_2b.png?itok=PtP2c0IX

Hide contents

tumblr_mzv903qPcu1qz5q5lo1_500.gif

This got better the more I clicked

• Like 2

It was great seeing Beth stand tall and get those “You’ve Still Got It” chants. I have a soft spot for those women from the Diva Era, who were thanklessly trying to spin sugar from shit with the 3-6 minutes they were given each week, only to be told they were meaningless when this “Evolution” rolled around.

I don’t mind Nia and Tamina’s involvement in this either as I’m probably one of the few people that still sees promise in the team. And I agree that Sasha and Nattie looked good out there. 

The Riott Squad have been neutered beyond ridiculousness now. Why would anyone still consider them a threat? They were better on Smackdown when they were terrorizing Naomi, Becky, and Charlotte. At least they could pick up a win or two then. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, just drew said:

Charlotte is just shoehorned in. She's a fantastic athlete with no gimmick to speak of at all.

I think most of us agree about Charlotte being tired and overexposed, but she clearly has a gimmick?

8 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

When Elias was in times square, I was hoping for a Naked Cowboy run in.

If they really wanted to go with humor, the person stealing the guitar case should have "Wrestlecon' or a TheCollective logo on the back of his hoodie.

I will take and make arguments that Charlotte is the best worker on the entire roster. A whole bunch of the best matches of the past few years include her. She is pretty incredible.

Her character is pretty clear - entitled snob with a superiority complex and is also really friggin’ good at wrestling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3