DVDVR Message Board

G1 Supercard

Archibald

I think I'll post this here since most people here care more about NJPW side of things than RoH, but if mods think that this should be in another place then they can probably move it there.

Anyway, announced matches:

Honor Rumble: only announced name so far is Liger.
Ospreay/Cobb in title vs title match
Castle/Rush
Iwatani/Klein for WoH title
Bully Rey open challenge for Chicago Street Fight
Ishimori/Dragon Lee/Bandido for Jr. Heavyweight title
Briscoes, PCO/Brody, Evil/Sanada, GoD in 4-way clusterfuck for RoH and IGWP tag titles
ZSJ/Tanahashi for RevPro title
Naito/Ibushi for IC title
Taven/Lethal/Scurll for RoH title
White/Okada for heavyweight title

Edited by Archibald

Ok, so card looks stacked and I don't agree with some smark takes like that this looks like good NJPW show with some RoH crap added. Only questionable thing is Bully's open challenge, everything else looks fine to me.

Speculation mode:

I think I saw some rumours about more Stardom wrestlers being on the show here so it was either false or another match will be added or maybe they'll do a run-in during WoH title match. It is weird that they are doing third Iwatani/Klein match in few months so I wonder if match won't end with DQ due to run in that would eventually lead to Iwatani and Klein teaming up.

Most obvious pick for Bully's open challenge is Flip, but they did that match few months ago and I'm not sure if Bully/Flip is really MSG worthy match, ignoring hot takes that Bully shouldn't be here at all. So I'm thinking that maybe this will be Bully/Juice for USA title? Juice doesn't have a match yet and it would be weird for USA champ to not have a match here. And he spends lots of time in RoH now so it could build towards something else (or could be built up in next RoH show that is happening before MSG). I saw other theories about Ishii or Suzuki, but I think that would be totally random and I'm not sure how well they could really mesh with Bully.

I think that Tanahashi might win RevPro title. It would give him something new to do and could lead to a rematch for that upcoming NJPW UK show. Sure, nobody wants to see RevPro shit there, but I think that nobody would really complain if it was semi-main or something like that.

Evil/Sanada to me look like biggest names in that tag team clusterfuck. I think it could be their moment that could lead to rematches with Brody/PCO or Briscoes. Plus Evil started feuding with Ishii on last day of NJ Cup. This could also lead to, lets say, Evil/Sanada vs Ishii/Goto and singles matches as a build up. Kinda like we had with ZSJ/Suzuki earlier.

Probably biggest name not to have a match here is... Shingo? I could accept arguments for Suzuki, but since G1 Suzuki has been slowly moving down the card and I think that they'd have no problems with placing him in the rumble. Shingo on the other hand is popular and super protected. So basically, what I'm saying is that I think that Shingo is winning Rumble.

I literally have no idea how anyone could look at the top three NJPW matches and still decide not to go just because Kenny/Cody/Bucks aren't on the show.

Really hoping Liger wins Honor Rumble. While I would have loved for him to have a spotlight match, him winning the Honor Rumble in his first and only MSG appearance I think would be a feel-good moment. 

I also think him winning NJ Cup cements that Okada is beating Jay White. White is young enough where he can easily recover from a quick "one and done" reign, and winning the IWGP Championship in MSG would be another notch in Gedo's "Okada is the greatest ever" story, as not even Inoki, Fujinami, or any of the Musketeers can say they won NJ's biggest championship at MSG. 

51 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I know I never once thought "aww no Bucks and Omega.."  there's at least 5-6 guys I prefer to watch on this card.

Bull Ray, Cheeseburger probably, Silas Young, some folding chairs.

• Like 1

Damn. They really went for it. There's also not a lot of obvious winners on this card. I think the most likely outcome in any match is Lethal not retaining, but outside of that I'm clueless.

I really hope Flip doesn't answer the challenge. The biggest question on this card is "where's Juice?" so I'm cool if it's him.

If I could just fantasy book, though... Bully stands in the ring and cuts his big promo, Flip Gordon's music hits and he makes his way down the aisle... cue the entirety of Suzuki-gun entering from the crowd and laying waste to him, as a dead-eyed MiSu stares down a dumbstruck Bully as the match begins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Damn. They really went for it. There's also not a lot of obvious winners on this card. I think the most likely outcome in any match is Lethal not retaining, but outside of that I'm clueless.

I really hope Flip doesn't answer the challenge. The biggest question on this card is "where's Juice?" so I'm cool if it's him.

If I could just fantasy book, though... Bully stands in the ring and cuts his big promo, Flip Gordon's music hits and he makes his way down the aisle... cue the entirety of Suzuki-gun entering from the crowd and laying waste to him, as a dead-eyed MiSu stares down a dumbstruck Bully as the match begins.

All of Suzuki-Gun taking turns kicking the shit out of Bully Ray before turning him over to MiSu would work for me.