DVDVR Message Board

NFL Week 6: The Largest Spread in NFL history

SirFozzie

Totally noob question coming (dont throw things, Im Australian!) -Is it worth holding the Texans in Houston? Would they have more value in LA/Vegas/Toronto/Mexico City?

I only ask because they havent been around all that long and they just dont seem to be embraced by the fans or medie in any way. They dont have the point and laugh feelings of a JAX or Browns... They are just, kinda there....

The Texans have sold out every single game in Houston for their entire tenure.  They're one of the top ten most valuable franchises in all of sports.  They are the biggest deal in sports in Houston.  The Astros and Rockets can only hope to get the attention the Texans attract.  Remember, there's no big college teams in Houston, so the only real football is the Texans. 

And, the Texans are embraced in the city.  JJ Watt is a folk hero here, and even though they hurt us all the time, we always come back.  Even though Matt Schaub is throwing that fifth pick six in five games, we'll all watch the next week. 

Hell, isn't San Antonio like the second biggest city in the US without an NFL team after LA?

By population yes.By media market - no (that would be either Sacramento or Portland)

I didn't realize this until I heard a Phil Simms interview yesterday - but CBS is doing this bit where the pregame guys are going to call games that they used to be associated with

Bill Cowher joins Simms/Nantz calling Jets/Steelers

Shannon Sharpe will call Jags/Broncos

Boomer will call Bengals/Bills

Since the Dolphins are on bye - Dan Marino will stay with JB in studio

Here are the maps

Totally noob question coming (dont throw things, Im Australian!) -Is it worth holding the Texans in Houston? Would they have more value in LA/Vegas/Toronto/Mexico City?

I only ask because they havent been around all that long and they just dont seem to be embraced by the fans or medie in any way. They dont have the point and laugh feelings of a JAX or Browns... They are just, kinda there....

The Texans have sold out every single game in Houston for their entire tenure.  They're one of the top ten most valuable franchises in all of sports.  They are the biggest deal in sports in Houston.  The Astros and Rockets can only hope to get the attention the Texans attract.  Remember, there's no big college teams in Houston, so the only real football is the Texans. 

And, the Texans are embraced in the city.  JJ Watt is a folk hero here, and even though they hurt us all the time, we always come back.  Even though Matt Schaub is throwing that fifth pick six in five games, we'll all watch the next week. 

I work at a college in downtown Houston a couple days a week, and my students are decked out in Texans gear every single Monday, even these past couple weeks.  The whole campus, really.  I even overheard one of them giving a depressing "still early in the season" talk to someone before class started this week.  Though I did get a good laugh out of the "CUT SCHAUB" banner hanging from an overpass on 45 a couple weeks ago. 

Don't the Texans still owe him a shit ton of money? Anyway, there's this:

Rick Reilly's American Indian Father-In-Law Says Reilly Misquoted Him

I love that only 25% in a poll on ESPN.com think the name should be changed. I wonder how much of that is Redskins fans and people who just hate "PC" stuff without knowing what the hell this is actually about just spamming the shit out of the voting.