Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

NXT TV - 03/20/19 (Spoiler Free) - Time to PIVOT~!


Recommended Posts

One match show. Most of everything was done to build up the main event though we did get short segments with Forgotten Sons, Sky Pirates, and Bianca to build up their coming matches.

The 5-way was predictably great. The action was non-stop with a good every man for themselves feel. Loved the bits of Riddle/Dream and Dream/Black we got.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The five way was predictably awesome and made me excited as hell to watch Riddle vs Dream. Riddle's vibe of laid back stoner until you piss him off then SHIT IS ON is great.

Cole vs Gargano should be awesome but I'm torn on who I want to win. Cole could probably afford a loss better then Johnny, but it feels like you could squeeze a few months out of Gargano chasing Cole with the rest of UE playing Arn/Tully/Windham to Cole's Flair.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

Cole could probably afford a loss better then Johnny

Johnny has been the star of the show for years, AND he's already been called up. Why on earth would he need protecting?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

That five man was a blast. I love matches where everyone gets their shine. And I doubly love it when the person who wins does so because of their greatest strength. Adam Cole won because he's a sneaky opportunist and grabbed the ball. 

I would be super into Heel Matt Riddle. Party-bros into UFC are the worst people in the world to me. All I keep saying to myself when I watch him wrestle is "Wow, that knot he tied that dude up into was super cool, now can the UE or someone please hit him with a car in the parking lot?"

Velveteen Dream is the best guy in NXT right now and I think might be the best guy they've ever made in-house. His first debut in the character was as a Stevie Richards-style putz doing a Chapelle-As-Prince bit and getting knocked the f out by Shinsuke. Now he's this over-the-top spotlight hog who wrestles as his character better than anyone else they've ever developed. I've been all in on The Experience since Day 1 and my fandom just grows by the day.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I would be super into Heel Matt Riddle. Party-bros into UFC are the worst people in the world to me. All I keep saying to myself when I watch him wrestle is "Wow, that knot he tied that dude up into was super cool, now can the UE or someone please hit him with a car in the parking lot?"

I'm so happy I'm not the only one. I find him kind of obnoxious and want to see him lose every time. He would be an awesome heel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really get a UFC bro vibe from Riddle. I get more of the Jeff Spicoli stoner/surfer, but can stretch you or knock you out when he finally gets pushed to his breaking point. That makes Riddle likable to me. I get the frat boy, date rapist, Affliction shirt, would back down from a fight unless he's with a half dozen other UFC bro's vibe from someone like Randy Orton. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know enough about stoners to judge too much, but guys like RVD and say Seth Rogen comes across as generally ok guys while Riddle just comes across as an obnoxious douche who is trying a bit too hard at times. He doesn't seem like the type who backs down from a fight, but that is more because he comes across more as the type who wants a fight so he can prove something. He won't push too hard, but he will push.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get the hate Riddle gets on here. He's the entire opposite of the vibe you all are getting from him. I guess he's a deal similar to the Undisputed ERA where you just have to see the dude live to get a proper grasp of him. He's generally one of the nicest and friendliest dudes which is why virtually everyone except the handful on here like him.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The last couple of posts are literally the first time I've ever seen anyone say anything negative about Riddle on this board - and they weren't really negative remarks about his work, just comments about him coming off heelish (which anyone who has "Bro" as a catchphrase should expect). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Edwin said:

I don't get the hate Riddle gets on here. He's the entire opposite of the vibe you all are getting from him. I guess he's a deal similar to the Undisputed ERA where you just have to see the dude live to get a proper grasp of him. He's generally one of the nicest and friendliest dudes which is why virtually everyone except the handful on here like him.

I like his matches. I just think character wise he leans close to heelish. Not judging him as a person. Just throwing this out there, but the last time I disagreed with so many people on the board about someone in this manner was Alexa Bliss so I suspect I will feel vindication whenever Riddle turns heel and its awesome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

The last couple of posts are literally the first time I've ever seen anyone say anything negative about Riddle on this board - and they weren't really negative remarks about his work, just comments about him coming off heelish (which anyone who has "Bro" as a catchphrase should expect). 

Not that it matters, but this has been brought up constantly since Riddle got signed.

And anyone who uses "Bro" as a catchphrase comes off heelish? OK, that's a new one.

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I like his matches. I just think character wise he leans close to heelish. Not judging him as a person. Just throwing this out there, but the last time I disagreed with so many people on the board about someone in this manner was Alexa Bliss so I suspect I will feel vindication whenever Riddle turns heel and its awesome.

I honestly have never gotten that vibe and as I said before, this is the only place I have ever seen anyone even mention that.

NGE is spot on on Riddle. I got the chance to see him work in EVOLVE and MLW before he got signed and now in NXT and he always come off as the happy dude who likes to do jiu-jitsu and surf.

And yes, I know a lot of folks on this board have the impression that dudes who do jiu-jitsu are like Davey Richards and they wear Affliction shirts as the Briscoes described them in that promo, but they are actually the entire opposite.

Edited by Edwin
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Edwin said:

And anyone who uses "Bro" as a catchphrase comes off heelish? OK, that's a new one.

I mean, if you've met a brah that looks like he walked out of one of *those* festivals wearing a flat-billed hat and flip flops talking about how much he loves weed and not been at least a little bit annoyed, congratulations - you're far more patient than me. Again, nobody is saying anything negative about his work - just that his character could easily be a heel. His character is not "jiu-jitsu guy." Rob Van Dam was an effective cocky heel at one point and Riddle's character isn't different in any meaningful way. 

I'm curious what you mean when you say "this" had been brought up several times. I'm not exaggerating when I say I can't recall a single time anyone said anything bad about Riddle's work on this board.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to turn this match off after about five minutes because I was getting vaguely travel sick from the constant moving cameras.

Re: Riddle. There's an effort to the obliviousness which comes off a little irritating, and I would never tire of throttling people Homer Simpson style who say "Bro," so put me down for "Riddle the Heel," but he's a load of fun to watch in the ring; especially when he starts putting his psycho face on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...