Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

Just got around to seeing Venom. Didn't feel a movie to me. Felt like a feature length TV pilot. Suffered from a bad case of Marvel Phase One-ism as well (the Villain being an evil version of the hero, mid credits sequel tease). Tom Hardy, great actor, but he's 0 for 2 in Superhero movies now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw Into the Spider-Verse on Tuesday morning since it's on Netflix now in the US. Lived up to all of the hype that I've seen online about it ever since it's theatrical release. I'll admit, I'm not to read up on Miles and his villains, so I had to google who Kingpin's minions were. Figured the purple one was Prowler, but had no clue who the Frankenstein looking guy was (Tombstone). Doc Ock was cool as shit, though. I loved all of the other Spider people.

Was the post-credits scene tease hinting towards something for the sequel, or was it just there for the meme? Because that's one of my favorite versions of Spider-Man and I'll be so disappointed if he's not in the sequel.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Casey said:

I saw Into the Spider-Verse on Tuesday morning since it's on Netflix now in the US. Lived up to all of the hype that I've seen online about it ever since it's theatrical release. I'll admit, I'm not to read up on Miles and his villains, so I had to google who Kingpin's minions were. Figured the purple one was Prowler, but had no clue who the Frankenstein looking guy was (Tombstone). Doc Ock was cool as shit, though. I loved all of the other Spider people.

Was the post-credits scene tease hinting towards something for the sequel, or was it just there for the meme? Because that's one of my favorite versions of Spider-Man and I'll be so disappointed if he's not in the sequel.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is awesome. With all that's rightly said about it, glad the hype didn't disappoint you.

 

I'm hoping Spider-Man 2099 is in the sequel along with the Superior Spider-Man.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I gave a rave review to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) when I watched it in the cinema. I watched it this week with my Dad and Sister. My Sister isn't into movies with some exceptions. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse can be added to the latter. I still rate the movie as I did then. The best Spider-Man film and one of the best in the genre if comic book movies.

Edited by The Natural

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Copy_of_05.jpg

I get shivers watching this sequence from Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018).

Edited by The Natural

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They didn't announce any upcoming Spider-Man projects at Comic-Con, did they? On the one hand it makes sense because Far From Home was still in cinemas at the time and you don't want to distract from it, but still. You'd think Sony would have either another Tom Holland Spidey or a Spider-Verse 2 (or both) lined up for... 2021, maybe?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, AxB said:

They didn't announce any upcoming Spider-Man projects at Comic-Con, did they? On the one hand it makes sense because Far From Home was still in cinemas at the time and you don't want to distract from it, but still. You'd think Sony would have either another Tom Holland Spidey or a Spider-Verse 2 (or both) lined up for... 2021, maybe?

No Spider-Man announcements. I can see the next Marvel Studios/Sony Pictures Spider-Man film announced at D23 with a 2021 release date as those come out every two years. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) and Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019).

You would think Sony Pictures want to capitalise on the success of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) with the sequel. I hope it's not rushed to do that.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm totally open to the argument Spider-Verse is the best superhero movie ever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm totally open to the argument Spider-Verse is the best superhero movie ever.

Spider-Ham drags it down. Honestly, the other (non-Gwen) Spider-people feel like they were part of an earlier draft before Gwen's role was beefed up and the story was sufficiently fleshed out and they just lingered past the point where they were necessary and to the point where they're just a distraction. It'd be a lot tighter narrative without them with almost nothing but a few gags lost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a rule, I prefer not adding a movie less than a year old to that type of discussion, except in extreme cases. 

I liked it a lot but would not elevate its status already. 

I dont know if I would say yet that it's better than Mask of the Phantasm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spider-Ham was the most real character in the movie. It's about time we saw more on-screen representation for people who float through the air when they smell a delicious pie. 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an avid Star Comics reader as a kid, Spider-Ham was my favorite part of the movie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm totally open to the argument Spider-Verse is the best superhero movie ever.

Wouldn't be my choice but it's a true contender to the title.

Edited by The Natural

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Wouldn't be my choice but it's a true contender to the title.

Well, it's significantly better than your choice 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who thinks Spider-Ham brought the quality of this movie down is just flat out wrong.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Matt D said:

Spider-Ham drags it down. Honestly, the other (non-Gwen) Spider-people feel like they were part of an earlier draft before Gwen's role was beefed up and the story was sufficiently fleshed out and they just lingered past the point where they were necessary and to the point where they're just a distraction. It'd be a lot tighter narrative without them with almost nothing but a few gags lost. 

 

51 minutes ago, Casey said:

Anyone who thinks Spider-Ham brought the quality of this movie down is just flat out wrong.

I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with Casey over Matt 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SP//dr and Cage are equal issues too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what you're saying is, you really liked the movie, except for half of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, AxB said:

So what you're saying is, you really liked the movie, except for half of it?

Is that a crazy notion? I think that there was a tighter, core emotional story (Miles, his dad, his uncle, Peter the elder and his failings/redemption) in there. There were some elements of the outlandish that let it stretch and flow (Gwen to bounce off of, the two Peters and the nostalgia hit, Kingpin's plot and the psychedelic finish), and then there was a bunch of extraneous goofball stuff acting as a crutch that would have bolstered a far worse movie that needed it, but that this movie didn't need because everything else hit so well (Noir, Sp//dr, Porker) and that actually hindered that core. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a weird opinion to have. The inclusion of Noir, Spider-Ham and Sp//dr didn't hinder the movie at all. It would have been pretty boring if it was just Miles, a dead Peter Parker, a fat Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy. Yeah, into the spiderverse all right - here's only two other spider heroes but we're going to keep the other, potentially more fun and interesting characters out of this because we want a tight emotional story.

Yawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, I think Matt was able to explain the reasons why I felt the movie was underwhelming to me, at least relative to the hype it had before I saw it. There was a lot going on in the movie, none of which had that much time to breathe. It’s actually kind of comparable to the Spider-Verse comics, except they had lots of tie-ins to flesh things out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this will get interesting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...