DVDVR Message Board

Marvel - Everything Else - 2019

1 minute ago, Ace said:

Tom Holland, Amy Pascal, and Jon Watts are still involved. I'm not sure what we lose if this pulls away from the MCUverse. No Jon Favreau, I guess.

Any connection to the MCU, which is pretty much Peter's driving character force, which pretty much erases Peter's last 4 appearances.  So, um, reboot is needed, I guess.

When the next movie bombs(and it's going to on principle), Disney is gonna have Sony bent over a barrel.  Sony should've taken the deal.

• Like 2

So, Disney was getting 5% of revenue off the MCU Spidey's, and wanted 50.  Sony didn't counter, just said "Fuck off" and walked.

Market tomorrow and stock price might correct this real quick.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

So, Disney was getting 5% of revenue off the MCU Spidey's, and wanted 50.  Sony didn't counter, just said "Fuck off" and walked.

Market tomorrow and stock price might correct this real quick.

Let's hope. Sony can't be helped from shooting themselves in the foot.

Disney set up Spider-Man as such that he can barely function as a stand alone character if Sony ever took it back. They'd be forced to either ignore everything that's defined Peter Parker thus far and the world surrounding him, which would make for a horrible movie, or do a soft reboot somehow, which would piss a lot of fans off and Sony would be back where they started.

I have a feeling this'll get solved. It makes too much sense for both parties involved. I think we end up with Venom being included in the MCU when all is said and done, and future Sony Spider-Man spin-offs will be connected, but not in major ways.

I'm talking about live action and the box office numbers for Spiderverse wasn't even close to Homecoming or Far From Home. Not saying Spiderverse wasn't good because it was excellent.

11 hours ago, Raziel said:

Well this will get interesting.

ECcaXB2VAAAaQ-6?format=jpg&name=900x900

What the f...?

Shit news that Spider-Man's out of the MCU. I'm glad Spider-Man, THE Marvel character was part of the MCU so It's a shame that's no longer the case. I expected Sony going Sony plus the success of Venom (2018) and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) giving them an ego boost without Marvel Studios involvement. This development hasn't gone down well.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 4:02 AM, The Natural said:

Shit news that Spider-Man's out of the MCU. I'm glad Spider-Man, THE Marvel character was part of the MCU so It's a shame that's no longer the case.

Sony won't really feel the sting until they have to tell a Spider-Man story on their own without incorporating all of the post-snap Iron Man lore in the plot.

No Happy Hogan / Aunt May hook-up side business, they'll need a new suit, they'll need to think up an alternative to how the villains will get their powers since they'll lose the Chitauri alien tech plot.

You could argue that Sony could simply use the Spider-verse stuff as the template for moving forward, but Sony can't really do that with the live action stuff since the events and characters are so radically divergent.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

My guess for what happens is they eventually negotiate a new deal and Spider-Man returns to the MCU in time for the next big team up event.

My guess is that is dependent on how Sony does without Marvel, and to a lesser extent how these new Marvel properties do.

If Sony gets a big hit Spider-Man without giving Marvel 5%, and Marvel keeps chugging along without Tony, Cap or Spidey, there's less motivation for either side to budge.

If Spidey does mediocre and, say, The Eternals bombs, then we'll likely see them back at the table.

The MCU Spider-Man movies were..... decent.  I can't go further than that.  The best parts of the movies had nothing to do with the MCU tie-ins.  I love Holland and Zendaya and I don't like Happy, Tony Stark or the ghost of Tony Stark being all in the videos.  Let Spider-Man stand on his own.  

They can do a nice little friendly neighborhood Spider-Man without all the other shit going on. 

I mean, they were a hell of a lot better than The Amazing Spider-Man 2 if nothing else.

But the best parts were the ones that weren't connected to Tony, for the most part.

Especially having the villain be angry at Stark as their starting motivation. That was just... Yeah.