DVDVR Message Board

Marvel - Everything Else - 2019

On 6/5/2019 at 7:52 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Well, they at least allegedly dumped the entire climatic finish because it was too much like a different movie, and nobody has confirmed but it's believed to be Captain Marvel.

Reveal hidden contents

Basically Jean becoming a glowing energy field and destroying spaceships and what not

So if it does now resemble Endgame that's kinda hilarious

So it's come out that the ending they wanted originally was way too close to Civil War, with having the X-Men be divided and the next one would be all of them coming back together to face another threat.

Anyway, this movie isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. Sophie Turner is really good in it, maybe the standout for me. Is it worse than any of the other movies in the First Class saga? Nope. Is it on par with most MCU movies? Nope. But I was reading stuff that said it was worse than Wolverine Origins and that's just not true at all. Perfectly inoffensive movie. Fresh off of seeing it, I'd say my ranking of these four movies are: 1 - Days of Future Past, 2 - Dark Phoenix, 3 - Apocalypse, 4 - First Class. All of that being said, though - It's long overdue for Marvel Studios to get a crack at the X-Men, and I'm beyond ready for it. I hope they don't touch anything that's been done by the Fox X-Men movies since the early 2000s, too. I'm not a big X-Men fan, so I don't really know what major storylines are left to tackle in live action (though I'm sure there's plenty).

My original ending didn’t have the entire X-Family together the way they are in the film now. More than Captain Marvel, you could see a lot of Civil War in that ending. Usually, these big, huge action movies have the climactic moment in the third act. I loved the way that Civil War had its big action action set piece where everyone’s facing off more towards the end of the second act rather than in the third, so that after that huge battle, you’re left with Winter Soldier, Captain America, and Iron Man.

It’s this telescoped down view of their raw emotions, and I loved how intimate that was. That’s what I was going for with Dark Phoenix’s ending even though it then might have looked like Captain Marvel for about two minutes.

So that sounds like he intentionally made it like Civil War...

And it does sound like the part they changed because of resembling a different movie is the 2 minutes of Captain Marvel.

Edited by Brian Fowler

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'll need to re-watch Captain Marvel, and maybe it's because it's fresh in my mind, but as of this very minute - I enjoyed Dark Phoenix more than I did Captain Marvel.

Hm... Captain Marvel had kind of a mess for a script, but there were some great moments.

This sounds like an insult, but I honestly mean it as a compliment: Dark Phoenix was mercifully short. A superhero movie running well under two hours while still having a coherent story was really refreshing. And the train fight was really great.

Watched Spider-Man Homecoming today for the first time. It’s... Okay, I guess. It was way too comedic for my taste. But I get it, they’ve made five dramatic Spider-Man films already that sprinkled in campy humor that we saw in Superman ‘78. Audiences need a break from that tone, I just hope eventually the pendulum swings back the other way with these comic films. I don’t want a completely grim story, but I don’t want stuff to be light, fluffy, and forgettable all the time. It does pick up at the very end when Vulture finds out Peter’s Spider-Man.

Also the CG stunt doubles are quite awful in many spots. I accept this stuff in big action scenes, but they would use it in small fights, and talking scenes. It literally looked like the recent Spider-Man on PS4. Great for a video game, distracting for a major motion picture. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 6/11/2019 at 9:05 PM, Hail Sabin said:

The Mystique answer is probably Jennifer Lawrence didn't want to do the makeup and at some point wanted her face in the movie. You could tell she didn't want to be in the movie but did it for the money or because her contract made her. You could also make the case she didn't want to be famous and because of Xavier everyone knows her blue face but they don't know her JLaw face so she was more comfortable in it with her Family. That last sentence might be giving Simon too much credit. 

The main issue people will have with the movie is the lack of action scenes and it's more of a dramatic movie with some action in it. 

Even when she did they did the make-up, they did it half-assed. I've seen better high-school theatre make-up.

Yeah, I think Jennifer Lawrence must've basically demanded less time in the chair to come back, because the makeup was terrible. Makeup that has looked good in six other films with the character.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:43 PM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Watched Spider-Man Homecoming today for the first time. It’s... Okay, I guess. It was way too comedic for my taste. But I get it, they’ve made five dramatic Spider-Man films already that sprinkled in campy humor that we saw in Superman ‘78. Audiences need a break from that tone, I just hope eventually the pendulum swings back the other way with these comic films. I don’t want a completely grim story, but I don’t want stuff to be light, fluffy, and forgettable all the time. It does pick up at the very end when Vulture finds out Peter’s Spider-Man.

Also the CG stunt doubles are quite awful in many spots. I accept this stuff in big action scenes, but they would use it in small fights, and talking scenes. It literally looked like the recent Spider-Man on PS4. Great for a video game, distracting for a major motion picture. 

See, I loved Homecoming because it was comedic and Spidey was a kid. Just like the comics. We've had enough of the "Tortured Peter" side of the character. They focused on the wisecracking kid who's just hanging in there which was my favorite part of the Lee/Ditko/Romita year's. It's all I've wanted from a Spider-Man movie. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

See, I loved Homecoming because it was comedic and Spidey was a kid. Just like the comics. We've had enough of the "Tortured Peter" side of the character. They focused on the wisecracking kid who's just hanging in there which was my favorite part of the Lee/Ditko/Romita year's. It's all I've wanted from a Spider-Man movie. 

Well after I watched that, I watched Into The Spider-Verse for the first time. Now this is the kind balance of drama, and comedy I want from a comic book film. I don’t know what it is? Maybe it’s that MCU humor I’m not always 100% on, but all the jokes in Homecoming fell flat for me. Spider-Verse’s felt appropriate, and it didn’t distract from the heartfelt scenes(And very bold scenes for an animated film) with Miles home life.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

5 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Same here, plus the lighter tone helps the Vulture reveal land as a fun and games are over/shit just got real moment.

Edited by JonnyLaw

On 6/13/2019 at 12:18 AM, Casey said:

Anyway, this movie isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. 

Story of the summer. Film criticism is broken... Well, more so than usual. 

Or maybe I'm just paying too much attention to the out-of-wack ratings because I suck at the blockbuster pool. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

23 minutes ago, tigertooth said:

FWIW, with a current RT score of 23, Dark Phoenix is not only lower than any other X-verse movie, but also lower than any superhero sequel movie other than:

Ghost Rider 2 - 18

Crow 2 - 12

Batman & Robin - 12

Superman 4 - 9

And this is exactly why I never pay attention to critic or audience scores. That’s fucking stupid.

It's important to remember that percentages on RT aren't really meant to directly correlate to quality, but just the simple thumbs up/down and what percentage went each way.

It's got a 43 on metacritic, which is much more reasonable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's important to remember that percentages on RT aren't really meant to directly correlate to quality, but just the simple thumbs up/down and what percentage went each way.

It's got a 43 on metacritic, which is much more reasonable.

It reminds me of the March Madness results, where one match up would be a blowout because most people generally agreed one guy was slightly better, and some people would take the vote difference to mean there was a vast difference in quality between the two.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 12:14 PM, JonnyLaw said:

It reminds me of the March Madness results, where one match up would be a blowout because most people generally agreed one guy was slightly better, and some people would take the vote difference to mean there was a vast difference in quality between the two.

I miss March Madness even though Daniel Bryan was robbed in 2013.