DVDVR Message Board

Marvel - Everything Else - 2019

Alright, we're in a post merger world now, so this is the thread for the stuff that is not controlled by Disney...  Venom, Morbius, and whatever other Spider-stuff still under Sony control.  

Enjoy.

Watching that has made me realize I've never seen a single episode of Miami Vice. That is slightly odd with all the other shows I saw that technically were before my time.

Edited by Eivion

Sony is responsible for Spider Man Into the Spiderverse so I'm fine with this thread existing.  I almost bought the steelbook but I noticed it was not in 4K so not sure what I'll do but I need to own it in some capacity. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 9:35 PM, Eivion said:

Watching that has made me realize I've never seen a single episode of Miami Vice. That is slightly odd with all the other shows I saw that technically were before my time.

I highly recommend it.  People misremember it as over-styled 80s cheese.  It's a good show and a lot of the episodes are really serious and dark.  Maybe skip the last season or so, but it's definitely more good than bad.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

There used to be this show on telly about bad tattoos. There was this one guy on there who got drunk and decided to tattoo his son's name on his arm. His son was called Riley. He spelled it R I P E Y. The he felt guilty about spelling it wrong, so he thought to make up for it, he'd tattoo his son's nickname (Sonny Boy) on his knuckles. Spelled it with a single N, obviously.

The moral of the story is, if you've got a friend with a home tattooing kit, don't get drunk with them.

• Haha 1

Sony Pictures chairman recently said they have 7 or 8 years of content planned for their Spider-Man universe.

Also, if we A.) Assume Variety was right when they reported on the Sony/Marvel Studios deal and B.) That Peter will be in Endgame, then Far From Home would be the end of said deal, and who knows what happens after that.

Eh...I don't know about this. So,  they are gonna have this Dark Phoenix movie and then Marvel Studios is going to go straight into a reboot.  

Also,  on Sony.  They definitely need to keep making animated Spider-Man movies. Live action,  I liked Venom well enough and it made a killing at the box office. Tom Hardy was a blast,  I think I could get into a Tom Hardy and Tom Holland movie. 

Well, New Mutants is also in the can. Rumors about it getting pulled off the theatrical schedule and either going to Hulu or Disney+ are all over the place, but it's going to come out at some point and likely end the X-Men film universe (other than Deadpool, Disney/Marvel Studios have indicated they want to keep going forward with the Merc with a Mouth)

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Also,  on Sony.  They definitely need to keep making animated Spider-Man movies. Live action,  I liked Venom well enough and it made a killing at the box office. Tom Hardy was a blast,  I think I could get into a Tom Hardy and Tom Holland movie. 

My wish, and it's not going to happen is the revival of The Spectacular Spider-Man.

I didn't see Venom. I will at some point.

Little interest in X-Men: Dark Phoenix with the director, the last entry in the First Class trilogy, Apocalypse, I don't want to be burned twice by them fucking up Dark Phoenix again and Lawrence is back as Mystique. Fassbender and McAvoy is a positive going for the film and it might be the last X-Men movie by Fox unless it's The New Mutants. The New Mutants had a lengthy delay.

Edited by The Natural

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Little interest in X-Men: Dark Phoenix with the director, the last entry in the First Class trilogy, Apocalypse, I don't want to be burned twice by them fucking up Dark Phoenix again and Lawrence is back as Mystique. Fassbender and McAvoy is a positive going for the film and it might be the last X-Men movie by Fox unless it's The New Mutants. The New Mutants had a lengthy delay.

Word is that New Mutants might not even see the theaters.  It may go straight to Disney's streaming service.

Venom was both OK and really, really bad. All the stuff with Venom talking and Tom Hardy reacting to it was pretty good, the action stuff was fine, everything is was not. I think I said it awhile ago, but if the movie was just 90 minutes of Venom and Tom Hardy talking to each other, it probably would have been way better off.

It was objectively terrible and subjectively awesome at the same time. Tom Hardy just went so far into crazy I couldn't help but love it. He knew it was crap, so he saved it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It was objectively terrible and subjectively awesome at the same time. Tom Hardy just went so far into crazy I couldn't help but love it. He knew it was crap, so he saved it.

Pretty much this. And again, the voice Venom is pretty great. There's some real subtle humor there at times that was almost Kevin Nealon subliminal messaging in nature.

12 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This reminds me. Why isn't someone remaking The Blob. 

Rob Zombie was attached to a remake for several years. It just never happened.