DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2019

Dolfan in NYC

Apparently the African Cup of Nations starts next month. I thought it was in January time, but no. Brought forward. Maybe it'll go horribly wrong and give a precedent for stripping Qatar of it's hosting gig.

It was probably to the benefit of the top English clubs that CAN was moved this year, less they be without some big name talent for a bunch of games.

I guess they were saving all the goals in Baku until after midnight local time. 

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Jose Antonio Reyes has died in a car accident, he was only 35. Awful news. RIP.

Man, awful news. He was such a great old school out and out winger with pace and dribbling and fantastic right out of the gate. 

• Like 1

Also Portugal flamed out in group stage of the U20 World Cup despite having one of the most talented squads.

Our federation is an absolute joke, just leeching off from the club's work at developing players and pissing it all away.

Yes, I am kinda mad.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, MarcosLoura said:

Also Portugal flamed out in group stage of the U20 World Cup despite having one of the most talented squads.

Our federation is an absolute joke, just leeching off from the club's work at developing players and pissing it all away.

Yes, I am kinda mad.

Every right to be bud.

Took the amazing UEFA match officials less than a minute to turn the biggest club match in the entire world into a travesty. Well done!

33 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Sissoko had his arm stretched out and the ball bounced off his chest and hit his arm.

But that's where the handball rule is a joke. It wasn't intentional. He didn't stop a goal or a pass by having an arm out. It hit his chest and bounced onto his arm. In no way did it have an impact on Liverpool's actual attack considering just flicking it against a defender isn't really doing anything.

Letter of the law it is a penalty. Common sense...it sucks.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Aren't they getting rid of the intentional part of the rule next season?

Yeah, I think so.

I've always believed that intentionality should be the key, but after that it becomes dependent on whether it stops a goal or pass to a player that is going to score, etc. Flicking it up towards nowhere as Mane did isn't that.

55 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Sissoko had his arm stretched out and the ball bounced off his chest and hit his arm.

Why can I recall numerous times throughout the years where this happened and it was not called because it wasn't deliberate/couldn't be avoided? 

It's still surreal to see how the dynamic of the team and how they play has changed so drastically in 18 months. From all attack to well balanced throughout and a colossal backline. Fuck yeah!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

The goalkeeper and defence were finally fixed and look what it's brought.

Absolutely. But there's more to it. The way they play the offside trap and high line, the way they funnel the opposition into a tireless midfield. The tackling that Fabinho has brought. It's all the way through the team and they've been well drilled by the coaching staff. 

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Congrats to the Liverpool fans here and FSW wherever you may be. Happy for big Virgil.