DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2019

Dolfan in NYC

20 years ago today: The greatest moment in football history happened:

"And Solskjaer has won it!!!!!!!"

"Champions of England, champions of Europe, champions of the FA Cup . Everything their hearts desire!"

• Like 2

I was 14 years old in 1999, it was the greatest moment in all my 14 years on this planet. Actually, no, it's the greatest moment in all my 34 years on this planet. I mean, did my wife score the winner in the European Cup Final? Not that I'm aware.

Football. Bloody hell.

The United/Bayern charity match today was complete nostalgia overload. I don't know if Roy Keane wasn't there because of the rift with Fergie but it's a shame he wasn't, he was the best player in a great United team. A few Big Dutchman observations though:

a. Jaap still terrifies me.

b. Someone forgot to tell him it was a friendly for charity.

c. He's 46 years old and he'd walk into the current United team.

d. That isn't saying much considering my old nan would get in ahead of Ashley Young and Phil Jones and my nan's just had her hip done and a stair lift installed.

Allow us the undoubtedly overbearing nostalgia for today at least. After that ending to this season, as United fans, it's all we have left.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 2

Which I'm sure will go brilliantly. Transfer embargo, Hazard off to Real, squad of prima donnas, Giroud contract extended. At least he'll still have Mason Mount in his squad.

Derby might be buggered though. This was budgeted to be a promotion or bust year. And they missed promotion. Those loan players? Not likely to be back. 

Apparently Qatar want to buy Leeds United. Leeds fans are torn. On the one hand, the team has been trying to rehabilitate it's image, and being owned by a despotic regime would undo all of that. On the other, turning into the PSG on Northern England would be a dream come true after all these years outside the top flight.

The head of Real Madrid did an interview where he said Manchester City's spending was ruining European football. What an interesting perspective to take.

Edited by AxB
  • Haha 2

Did you mean the quotes from Javier Tebas, the head of La Liga? 

As you might understand, he has been a critic of "state run teams" like Man City & PSG for a while. 

The Man City president had an interesting rebuttal, where he pointed out that Tebas was attacking the ethnicity of clubs. 

He also pointed out City does not have any of the top 10 transfer deals. But they do have 8 of the top 50, more than any other club. 

17 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Oh good Aston Villa is back, there's 38 games a year no neutral will need to subject themselves to watching.

Six claret and blue derbies a season, though. 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:14 PM, Death From Above said:

Oh good Aston Villa is back, there's 38 games a year no neutral will need to subject themselves to watching.

Now that Canada's rights are going to DAZN, I feel that a lot of us won't be watching much Premier League football next year.