DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2019

Dolfan in NYC

The day @The Magnificent 7 chances his username or avatar is the day I will quite the board I swear.

Bundesliga, for the first time in ten years, has a final matchday scenario were the team in the lead (Bayern, 75 points) can loose the championship to second-place (Dortmund, 73). It will also be only the second time since 2011 that the Champion will have under 80 points. While 80 in a 34-game-season may not sound too much in light of the last couple of EPL seasons, it was first 2011/12 since the inauragal 1995/96 season that a champion collected 80 or above. It has since become championship norm, but I'd argue that it's mostly due to Bayern's dominance. 

Anyway, for today, Dortmund needs a win in Moenchengladbach and for Bayern to loose at home to Eintracht Frankfurt, since their GD is much worse. Both Gladbach and Frankfurt have a shot at grabbing the last Champions League spot, Frankfurt needs a win to make 100% sure they will stay in Europe though. This makes this all extra-spicy. 

It will probably be another Bayern championship, but the general concept of not everything being decided a few weeks ago is a good thing. I really hope it is not just a one - off season... 

Happy FA Cup Final day! I mainly just lurk, but as probably DVDVR's only Watford fan, I feel responsible for pointing out that we're going to/literally in Wembley, and I'm already drunk and imagine if we won the cup.

• Like 1

BT Sport's commentator just brought up how Man City were in the third tier 20 years ago. Than he bought up the legendary player of that era Paul Dickov. Because if your last name was Dickov, and you were having a baby boy, you wouldn't be able to resist namling him Paul.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

BT Sport's commentator just brought up how Man City were in the third tier 20 years ago. Than he bought up the legendary player of that era Paul Dickov. Because if your last name was Dickov, and you were having a baby boy, you wouldn't be able to resist namling him Paul.

I'm a Paul. Hey, everyone.

Congratulations, @Pete on the domestic treble. Though you can't help but think what happened if Man City beat Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League Quarter-Finals. You'd be going for the Quadruple.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Manchester City 6

Watford FC 0

Hope @SturmCRF isn't badly drunk. Commiserations, pal. Sir. Elton John's destroyed three Yamahas.

Nah, stopped drinking an hour before the match, in anticipation of a very slim chance of picking it back up again afterwards. Our best chance of winning the FA Cup was VAR being used for City's match with Swansea. Hopefully one day we'll get there against a team who aren't so disgustingly rich they're calling a Leroy Sane off the bench at 4-0 up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, City is under investigation from how many governing bodies? FFP is a joke but it would be nice if this was a starting point for them actually enforcing laws (it won't be). 

Allegedly, a lot of the pressure on UEFA to crack down on Man City's finances is coming from a Mr Ed Woodward. Allegedly.

He's going to be player-manager at RSC Anderlecht, so his career's gone full circle as that's where he got started. 

See you later, Captain Fantastic. Don't be a stranger.

• Like 1

Since it is WAY too earlier to have its own thread... FIFA is abandoning its idea to expand to 48 teams for the 2022 WC in Qatar

(Due to Qatar in no way shape or form being able to handle 48 teams)

The 48 team expansion will happen now for the 2026 WC

Daniel James has been rumored to be moving the Manchester United but no deal has been reached as of yet. Swansea City just tweeted his father suddenly passed away. Thoughts and prayers to Daniel and his friends and family.

• Sad 2

On 5/18/2019 at 2:51 PM, AxB said:

Allegedly, a lot of the pressure on UEFA to crack down on Man City's finances is coming from a Mr Ed Woodward. Allegedly.

Realistically, it should come from all the clubs who are playing within the FPP rules.

I expect Arsenal to bitch and moan about Manchester City if they lose the Europa League final vs Chelsea. I'm sure they want to weasel back into the Champions League by any means necessary because they finished 5th in the Premier League and will argue for England to keep 4 CL spots.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Treble treble was nice or as someone amusingly coined it the Rebel Treble. 

Edouard will be a star.