DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2019

Dolfan in NYC

On 3/31/2019 at 9:33 PM, Edwin said:

Is Defensa y Justicia the best club name ever? It literally translates to Defense and Justice.

On 3/31/2019 at 11:51 PM, Death From Above said:

I still say the answer is The Strongest, because even if they lose they are still The Strongest and no one can take that away from them.

I'll always be partial to Go Ahead Eagles or FC Santa Claus.

Also, this.

• Thanks 1

Fulham are DOOMED after getting smeared 4-1 at Watford.

Wolves apparently become the first team in four years to beat United after trailing during the match, winning 2-1 at Molineux.

Guest Edwin

What a game! From 0-2 down, Villarreal made a 4-2 comeback against Barcelona and then Alvaro got a red card, Messi scores a free kick in the 90th minute and Suarez scores an extra time with the last kick of the game to draw 4-4.

People belittle Ligue 1 for being a "Farmers League", but the Bundesliga is rapidly reaching those same lows. Dortmund is the closest competition Bayern have and there is still an ocean of wealth that separates the two. 

Schalke, Stuttgart, Gladbach, Wolfsburg all need to step up. Hamburg needs to get their ish together. They have one of the brightest kids in European football that they're going to lose in Fiete Arp while they middle around in 2.Bundesliga and the lower half of the Bundesliga

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

LaLiga maybe the most corrupt top 5 league in Europe. The refs. heavily favor Madrid or Barça, depending where the game is taking place and how close they are to each other or the top of the league table. The media is also split between Madrid and Barça. Even Tebas, the president of the league says they benefit from either club winning the league.

The league has even fined smaller clubs for tweeting photos of their stadiums being half empty as they say it gives the league a bad image. The new TV money distribution is playing its role though. Some smaller clubs have been breaking their previous transfer records and making better signings and the results are starting to peaking. For example, Madrid has had a pretty terrible season for their club standards. They lost to Valencia earlier this week and struggled get by a much smaller club in Eibar yesterday. Also Girona has been giving Atleti trouble for the past two seasons and Villarreal steamrolled Barça and almost beat them this past week before Messi came to save them as usual.

Yes, that is my rant for the Diego Costa receiving a straight card because the ref. claimed he called him an SOB yesterday against Barça even though Luis Suárez seems to do this on a monthly basis and he gets away with it all the time. Despite being a man down early on, the boys were still able to hold back the best attacking football club in the world for over 80 minutes, so I'm proud of them for that, but still super bummed about the result as that pretty much gives Barça the league title... Again.

Edited by Edwin

Isn't the claim he said he'd shit on the ref's whore mother? I mean... Seems like just cause. But, yeah, if Suarez and others are saying equally vitriolic things, then they too should be getting the boot.

Plus, Diego Costa is a scumbag in general.

People trying to play off Atletico as good guys when they are routinely some of the worst assholes in the sport every single time I see them play in European tournaments is something else. Simply not being Barcelona or Real doesn't make them heroes.

Been a while since their coach threatened to attack a referee though, so that's something. Crowds right up there with the worst of Ajax for ref abuse too.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Isn't the claim he said he'd shit on the ref's whore mother? I mean... Seems like just cause. But, yeah, if Suarez and others are saying equally vitriolic things, then they too should be getting the boot.

Plus, Diego Costa is a scumbag in general.

The ref. -- Gil Manzano has a sketchy history when it comes to confrontations with players and red cards. The media claims Costa called him an SOB, in the game report the ref. reported it was something else Costa said and then Costa said he didn't say either of those.

Regardless, it's an embarrassing mess and there is talk the call maybe appealed and the club could call for the ref. getting investigated.

On the ref. -- he's had endless confrontations with Luis Suárez and he's never given him a straight red that I'm aware of and he's  been mic'd saying things equally as bad.

Also, add in the fact that there's an ongoing streak of Atleti players receiving controversial red cards in crucial league games at the Camp Nou.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

People trying to play off Atletico as good guys when they are routinely some of the worst assholes in the sport every single time I see them play in European tournaments is something else. Simply not being Barcelona or Real doesn't make them heroes.

Been a while since their coach threatened to attack a referee though, so that's something. Crowds right up there with the worst of Ajax for ref abuse too.

I've read you say this a lot, but never providing details.

Look, I'm not claiming the boys are saints, but they are no better/worse than any other clubs.

Diego Costa is a jerk, but so is Luis Suárez, Sergio Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo, Busquets, Felipe Melo, Cristiano, etc.

Simeone attacking refs. as a manager? Um, are you talking about the guy he pushed some CL's ago? If so, that was not a ref... That was actually a club assistant.

Edited by Edwin

My impression has been that Atletico, certainly under Simone, has embraced, to borrow a currently fashionable futbol term, its shithousery. It certainly is in the eye of the beholder if they are tough/brutal or dirty/thuggish.

Which makes sense when are pitted on and off the pitch vs both RM and Barca. 

I mean, I’d definitely rather see Atletico win than Real. 

If Harry Kane is injured severely, Man City will be very happy.

Edit: Footage of the injury: Not gruesome, but he wasn't putting ANY weight on it, I don't think he'll make the second leg or really anything till the end of the year:

edit: To steal a phrase, DAMN, Son!

Edited by SirFozzie