DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 6: Thompson vs. Pettis (3/23/2019) - Nashville, TN (Bridgestone Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Dz5q8TCW0AAejNr.jpg?1550723744

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 6: Thompson vs. Pettis 
March 23, 2019
Nashville, TN (Bridgestone Arena)

Stephen Thompson (170.5) vs. Anthony Pettis (171) - Pettis, KO (superman punch), R2 (4:55)
Curtis Blaydes (262) vs. Justin Willis (266) - Blaydes, DEC (unanimous)
John Makdessi (154.5) vs. Jesus Pinedo (155.5) - Makdessi, DEC (unanimous)
Jussier Formiga (126) vs. Deiveson Alcântara (126) - Formiga, DEC (unanimous)
Luis Peña (148.5)* vs. Steven Peterson (146) - Peña, DEC (unanimous)
Maycee Barber (126) vs. JJ Aldrich (125) - Barber, TKO (strikes), R2 (3:01)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Bryce Mitchell (145.5) vs. Bobby Moffett (145.5) - Mitchell, DEC (unanimous)
Frankie Saenz (135.5) vs. Marlon Vera (135.5) - Vera, TKO (punches), R1 (1:25)
Alexis Davis (125) vs. Jennifer Maia (126) - Maia, DEC (unanimous)
Randa Markos (116) vs. Angela Hill (116) - Markos, SUB (armbar), R1 (4:24)
Ryan MacDonald (135.5) vs. Chris Gutierrez (135.5) - Gutierrez, DEC
Eric Shelton (126) vs. Jordan Espinosa (126) - Espinosa, DEC

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Randa Markos
Performance of the Night: Anthony Pettis
Fight of the Night: Bryce Mitchell vs. Bobby Moffett

Attendance: 10,863
Gate$939,096

Cancelled Fights:
Chris Gutierrez vs. Martin Day - Injury to Day
John Makdessi vs. Nasrat Haqparast - Injury to Haqparast
Chris Gruetzemacher vs. Jesus Pinedo - Injury to Gruetzemacher (Torn ACL)

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

30 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Looking forward to Wonder Boy/Showtime. 

Anything else I should keep an eye on besides Curtis Blaydes ?

Definitely Barber vs. Aldrich because a win by Barber over another prospect allows the UFC to invest more into her. I would also say Formiga vs. Deiveson Figueiredo even though men's flyweight probably won't be around much longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Randa Markos' UFC run: Loss, Win, Loss, Win, Loss, Win, Loss, Win, Loss, Draw, Win

I'm noticing a pattern.

Whoever told her "Ya win some ya lose some" should have shut their yap.

My thing with Markos is her strategies are usually pretty bad. Against Angela Hill, for whatever reason, it looked like a complete 180. I dunno if their "grudge" had anything to do with it, but that's easily her best UFC performance. Looking at Twitter, it seems like she has been seeing a sports psychologist. Maybe it's that.

Alexis Davis was not happy about that Maia decision. If Maia had some power, she would be someone to watch for. As is, she is pretty limited. 

Chito Vera is easily one of the most underrated UFC bantamweights. He gets all the guys he's suppose to get out of there out of there with authority. No fucking around.

58 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Randa Markos' UFC run: Loss, Win, Loss, Win, Loss, Win, Loss, Win, Loss, Draw, Win

I'm noticing a pattern.

Before picking the fight in the other thread I almost posted in here what was her last result for that reason. 

Aldrich made Barber look pretty unsure of herself in round 1, but then Barber found an opening and that was the beginning of the end. I expect Barber to be matched very carefully going forward.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Formiga with a solid game plan there. Just when it looked like Figueiredo was getting comfortable on the feet, Formiga just level changed and took him town. Had no real defense for it. Great job controlling distance. Maybe not super exciting, but I love watching guys when with solid technique. 

• Like 1

Curtis Blaydes vs. Stipe would be a hell of a matchup IMO. Seeing as Curtis will probably want to be on 238 since he is from Chicago, that would be quite a Midwestern showdown.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Curtis Blaydes vs. Stipe would be a hell of a matchup IMO. Seeing as Curtis will probably want to be on 238 since he is from Chicago, that would be quite a Midwestern showdown.

I'd maybe buy a ticket for that. Never been to a UFC show but I'd be fine if Blaydes/Stipe was my first.

Holy shit was that a smart punch by Pettis. Thompson was staying outside of Pettis' punching range almost the entire night using his length and footwork to frustrate. Pettis almost looked to have used the rebound off the fence from a Thompson body kick to propel himself forward with the best long-range power punch, a superman, on a fucking counter before Wonderboy could reset the gap entirely. Thompson was looking outstanding up to that point but with that style all it takes is one clean hit. Fun fun fun.

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Holy shit was that a smart punch by Pettis. Thompson was staying outside of Pettis' punching range almost the entire night using his length and footwork to frustrate. Pettis almost looked to have used the rebound off the fence from a Thompson body kick to propel himself forward with the best long-range power punch, a superman, on a fucking counter before Wonderboy could reset the gap entirely. Thompson was looking outstanding up to that point but with that style all it takes is one clean hit. Fun fun fun.

It seemed like the difference was Thompson pulled straight back and not to his right, and that right hook that he was throwing as Pettis came forward was just a reaction.