DVDVR Message Board

Run Kofi Run - SDL - 3/19/2019

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

If Daniel Bryan is Ric Flair then Mustafa Ali should be his Steamboat.

Also;

Harper as his Luger.
Ricochet as his Sting
Owens as his Dusty
Strowman as his Vader

Since Owens is now the "common man" since he goes bowling and uses a stunner, I'd be all for him bringing back the bullrope match. I'm sure there's some Canadian gimmick they could do with it. Strowman as Vader just proves my theory that his finisher should be the powerbomb. Strowman doing like Sid & Vader and just decimating jobber after jobber. He would just need a Harley Race or Col. Parker to gleefully bring a stretcher down to ringside. 

One thing that annoyed me about the gauntlet match while I was watching it. I was like why the hell is Kofi trying to out wrestle people? He should have been going for Trouble In Paradise right off the bat with Sheamus and instead he wrestled like 20 minutes with him. The whole match was just bizarre in that regard.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Since Owens is now the "common man" since he goes bowling and uses a stunner, I'd be all for him bringing back the bullrope match. I'm sure there's some Canadian gimmick they could do with it.

Excuse me! Canada has both bulls and dumb cowboy games! We know what bullropes are! 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 3:39 PM, jaedmc said:

I don't really care for the racial direction just because it discounts some important moments in history, while at the same time not acknowledging the current state of the titles.

Mark Henry and Booker T were world champions. But I guess those don't count because it wasn't the WWE title. So from this perspective we're acknowledging the truth that the world heavyweight title was lesser than the RAW title. Which is fine, I guess, but sucks for those guys who felt like they did something special.

To be fair, if you include WCW and both versions of ECW, along with WWF/E the only Black world champions have been Ron SImmons, The Rock, Booker T, Mark Henry, Bobby Lashley, and Ezekiel Jackson. And including Jackson is generous since the ECW Title was discontinued the same night he won it. That's only 6 world champions in nearly 110 years total of product and only Ron Simmons and the Rock had what was considered that "A" belt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonL21 said:

To be fair, if you include WCW and both versions of ECW, along with WWF/E the only Black world champions have been Ron SImmons, The Rock, Booker T, Mark Henry, Bobby Lashley, and Ezekiel Jackson. And including Jackson is generous since the ECW Title was discontinued the same night he won it. That's only 6 world champions in nearly 110 years total of product and only Ron Simmons and the Rock had what was considered that "A" belt

Only if you focus on the US and men. You could add three more if you include the AJW's WWWA World Title which Sandy Parker, Amazing Kong, and Aja Kong held.

Edited by Eivion

6 hours ago, peachchaos said:

any excuse to get Owens to carry a cowbell around is acceptable tbh

I found this on Google. Sheriff Owens is a license to print money. 

KO%2521.jpg

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Maybe something in the middle of those two...

OK, I'll concede he is better than El Gigante but he isn't anywhere close to Vader. He could qualify as Bryan's broomstick.

Edited by Execproducer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

So ... what's wrong with going ahead and booking a match and just do training montages?  Why do we have to have all of these shenanigans? 

Because they have a writing staff. If the writing staff didn’t write stuff, they wouldn’t have jobs.

2 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Because they have a writing staff. If the writing staff didn’t write stuff, they wouldn’t have jobs.

Most of what makes air leads me to believe the majority of the writing staff is fingerpainting and eating glue.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

Because wrestling is a morality play and a soap opera. And a training montage doesn’t really tell a story that can keep viewers wanting to see more on a week to week basis.

The Rock and Lesnar has a killier training video segment in 2002. But that was the video used to promote a match that happened after Brock did a lot of heel things (like attack Hogan) to get at Rock. It was a great add-on that built the seriousness of the match, but it wasn’t the feud.

The most famous training segment in any medium is the one from the first Rocky film. That was done to build Balboa’s underdog status and to make the audience believe he had a chance. But we saw a bunch of his character and backstory first. 

• Like 2