DVDVR Message Board

Run Kofi Run - SDL - 3/19/2019

Dolfan in NYC

The opening segment with Miz was decent.

Sasha/Bayley vs. IIconics was ok when Bayley was in the ring.

The segment with Owens, Charlotte, & Becky just felt unnecessary. It wasn't even bad, but more of a been there, done that deal.

I'm kind of torn on the gauntlet. A part of me was kind of hoping guys might interrupt during the matches with guys they were feuding with, but at the same time I think Kofi beating so many guys clean was kind of necessary to the story of proving he is beyond the whole B+ player bs. It pushes that its no fluke and Kofi has truly just been ignored all the years opposed to him not being able to pull it off. Beyond that I think the victories were generally well done and leave things open for potential title matches with Kofi as champ. Really the only thing I was truly disappointed in was that it didn't lead  to the return of Harper. I was really hoping we would get New Day vs. Bryan and BB.

• Like 2

The women’s tag was a bit of a mess last night but I think Sasha has delivered enough that she can be forgiven for an off night. I do agree that Bayley has certainly stepped it up again. I really started to notice during those tag matches when Sasha was injured. 

With the WWE’s policy of throwing everyone on the roster onto Mania, I wonder if this four way elimination for Asuka’s contender just ends up a fatal five way lol 

2 hours ago, Jamal said:

The women’s tag was a bit of a mess last night but I think Sasha has delivered enough that she can be forgiven for an off night.

This argument is rolled out after every bad Sasha match, which is annoyingly frequent. She's just not as good as she's made out to be. 

• Thanks 1

Kofi winning the five matches has turned me on him. I hope he never gets the title now.

His blood sweat and tears will be absorbed by The Fallen Oak, and amplify the power Daniel Bryan's reign. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was prepared to be the sole dissident, but I see a lot of you are saying what I'm thinking.

The gauntlet was a bad idea.  It was clear Kofi was running the table, but in having him get murdered for an hour and still beat 5 guys, he's now turned into SUPERKofi.  I was rooting for Kofi because he was the underdog.  You're not an underdog anymore when you pin a fresh Samoa Joe and a fresh Randy Orton back-to-back after being left for dead a half hour earlier.  Now you're John Cena.

So basically you sacrifice two of your main heels and give away the WM title match  (yes, I know it wasn't really a REAL match, but I mean, I just saw them have a one-on-one match, and dead Kofi still almost won) to end up right back where you started.  

Kofi is OVER.  Just admit you don't know how it happened and LET IT HAPPEN.

I fully expected Kofi to win the match and had no problem with him doing so, but I agree the way he did it was too over the top. If they had saved him getting mauled by Rowan to the next to the last fall and then had him flash rollup Orton or Joe then that would have been more realistic. I'd also expected AJ to somehow get involved with the Orton section of the match. Sure him wining the belt at Mania is going to get a massive pop, but then what? I can't think of any new or exciting Kofi Kingston matches I'm raring to see. As much as I'd like to see Bryan hold it for longer I agree that he doesn't need it to be over. Let Kofi drop the title to Rey by Summerslam then give us a Rey/Bryan feud before Rey hangs it up.

Miz's delivery in the opening promo was good, but he's one of the last people on the roster that I can take seriously as a sympathetic face. All his promos leading up to the team with Shane reeked of insincerity and accepting him as a face requires completely ignoring everything he's done for the last several years. Worse than that is Shane being touted as some MMA badass.

• Like 1

So, which “us” is he referring to in this instance? 

Guys that work hard? Black folk? Something else?

Purposely ambiguous, but I'll take it to mean black people.

So, which “us” is he referring to in this instance? 

Guys that work hard? Black folk? Something else?

Purposely ambiguous, but I'll take it to mean black people.

I mentioned it last week. They're dangerously close to the HHH/Booker T "Your kind" territory. At any point I can see Vince utter that "blacks can't be the face of the company". I mean, this is the same guy that thought it was ok to use the N-word on tv.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

I could have bought Big E lasting the gauntlet and beating everybody in the process (including Bryan). Kofi? I dunno man. My suspension of disbelief can only last so long.

Would not be surprised if Big E's twitter address is leading to some sort of 'Vince is racist' angle. You know it's coming.

Edited by Rick

Would not be surprised if Big E's twitter address is leading to some sort of 'Vince is racist' angle. You know it's coming.

This is the big problem.

Normally, I'd hate an angle like people claim it's heading towards of "the rest of the roster has a walkout to demand this person get the match" storyline, under the "it's the WWE World Title match at Wrestlemania- literally EVERY PERSON on the WWE roster should be willing to shiv their mother to get that match".

Then, I realize that both the Becky Lynch and Kofi Kingston storylines are the same: "Hardworking, overlooked star finally earns their way to a World Title match at Wrestlemania. The fans want it, the wrestlers want it, hell, even Shane, Trips, and Stephanie want it. The only person in the whole wide world who doesn't want it is an out-of-touch Vince McMahon. ...pity that to Vince McMahon, that's the only voice in the world that matters." 

And that is bringing question to an overarching storyline of "Vince McMahon is out of touch with today's society."

And we know the things WWE has done in the past.

...it may be a bad one for the "the roster walks out", but we all know WWE is absolutely capable of turning this to a "Vince McMahon as Donald Sterling" situation.

I wish they would have treated the gauntlet match to get Trouble In Paradise over as a death move that can be hit out of nowhere.  I could buy Kofi being beaten up by 5 guys but finds a new exciting way to hit the movie to get past them.  

Then when he would hit it at WrestleMania and Bryan actually kicked out, the crowd would freak out.  Then reverse the finish of Ali/Bryan with Bryan going for the running knee and Kofi countering with TiP for the win.  

But you know ... lucky rollups work too.  

I mentioned it last week. They're dangerously close to the HHH/Booker T "Your kind" territory. At any point I can see Vince utter that "blacks can't be the face of the company". I mean, this is the same guy that thought it was ok to use the N-word on tv.

I totally agree. When Vince cut that promo last week I was expecting a "you people" or "your kind" or whatever the fuck because Vince is fucking insane.

• Like 2