DVDVR Message Board

Run Kofi Run - SDL - 3/19/2019

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Kofi pinning 4 top tier guys clean in the same match is a momentum killer.

What's even the point of the gauntlet match in the first place if the ultimate conclusion is to have Bryan come out to pin him one on one to deny him the title shot again? In the words of Randy Orton, "Stupid!"

Just now, TheVileOne said:

What's even the point of the gauntlet match in the first place if the ultimate conclusion is to have Bryan come out to pin him one on one to deny him the title shot again? In the words of Randy Orton, "Stupid!"

The point is heat. Not a popular answer. But it’s the Connecticut way.

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Kofi pinning 4 top tier guys clean in the same match is a momentum killer.

I'm probably nitpicking here but I don't view either Sheamus or Cesaro on that top tier level.  Anyway,  I don't think they killed Kofi's momentum tonight but I don't believe trolling fans is a thing that works over the longterm either.  They trolled with Becky and now Kofi and some say with Kurt but who knows,  I just don't think this is a winning strategy, at some point you actually do have to give the people what they want or they will stop watching as many have already. Not me because I might be insane but certainly others. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The point is heat. Not a popular answer. But it’s the Connecticut way.

WrestleMania is less than 3 weeks out now. If the end game is Bryan vs. Kingston, just book the match and stop the BS already.

"The point is heat" didn't help Rey Mysterio's main event run and did hurt him going into WrestleMania 22. 

• Like 1

How is that fickle? The story for Ali in all of this was there right up until he got injured, his story with Bryan started in December. Kofi's journey to a title match with Daniel Bryan didn't even start until late February. The only investment people have in this is "we like Kofi", but there's not much beyond that. At least with Mustafa Ali versus Daniel Bryan, it's been a thing for 4 months on television. But now he's pushed to the side since people want to see Kofi get his run with the title - which isn't something anyone said before Ali got injured. The member of New Day most people wanted/thought would get a shot or run was Big E. Now that the possibility is there, the ones that want to see it aren't going to let it go until they get what they want.

7 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Lots of jabronie marks working themselves into shoots over the result on the Internet right now. 

How? Anyone with a fucking pulse realizes that Kofi vs Bryan is actually going to happen. It's how they're getting to that result that's got everyone up in arms, since WrestleMania is IN TWO WEEKS.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm probably nitpicking here but I don't view either Sheamus or Cesaro on that top tier level.  Anyway,  I don't think they killed Kofi's momentum tonight but I don't believe trolling fans is a thing that works over the longterm either.  They trolled with Becky and now Kofi and some say with Kurt but who knows,  I just don't think this is a winning strategy, at some point you actually do have to give the people what they want or they will stop watching as many have already. Not me because I might be insane but certainly others. 

I've been wondering how you're going to make it through 24 hours of Wrestlemania. I also hope the weather holds up for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Lots of jabronie marks working themselves into shoots over the result on the Internet right now. 

I don't understand this idea. That seems to imply WWE deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this type of booking. 

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've been wondering how you're going to make it through 24 hours of Wrestlemania. I also hope the weather holds up for you.

We got NXT Takeover Friday and G1 Supercard Saturday,  if WrestleMania ends up sucking at least maybe I'll have seen two good shows and finally a WM (despite it sucking lol).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

We got NXT Takeover Friday and G1 Supercard Saturday,  if WrestleMania ends up sucking at least maybe I'll have seen two good shows and finally a WM (despite it sucking lol).

I'm only doing Saturday shows because of work. What kind of seats did you get for the G1? I'm doing Pancakes and Piledrivers and the G1. I'll watch Takeover from the comfort of my living room.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Can we move on from the Kofi/Bryan stuff and talk about how fucking horrible Sasha Banks was tonight? And why they're promoting a RAW title match on Smackdown instead of giving that time to their own Women's champion, who currently doesn't have a title defense scheduled at WrestleMania?

• Like 4

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm only doing Saturday shows because of work. What kind of seats did you get for the G1?

It's the 100s section that overlooks the walkway I guess?  That's what the layout looks like on paper,  I'm not sure how it'll look at MSG.   I think they are okay seats,  I'm excited for it. 

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Can we move on from the Kofi/Bryan stuff and talk about how fucking horrible Sasha Banks was tonight? And why they're promoting a RAW title match on Smackdown instead of giving that time to their own Women's champion, who currently doesn't have a title defense scheduled at WrestleMania?

I don't know what you mean her and Bayley didn't have a lot to work with out there..  I get it's the whole IIconics gimmick but their flailing around and moving in slow motion isn't conducive to a very good match.   Sasha and Bayley already had a great match with Fire and Desire at the Chamber. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm doing Pancakes and Piledrivers and the G1. I'll watch Takeover from the comfort of my living room.

We were going to do Pancakes and Piledrivers too,  I was contemplating that and the H.O.G. show but once we got G1 tickets that was it because we already spent enough on NXT/Mania.  After this I'm done on wrestling for a while. Money in the Bank is in Hartford but I'll be watching on the network. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It's the 100s section that overlooks the walkway I guess?  That's what the layout looks like on paper,  I'm not sure how it'll look at MSG.   I think they are okay seats,  I'm excited for it. 

I'm in the 200's section. I think I may try to use a personal day and go for United We Stand Thursday night/Friday morning in Rahway. I really should since I'm about a 1/2 hour from Rahway.

• Like 3

I was prepared to be the sole dissident, but I see a lot of you are saying what I'm thinking.

The gauntlet was a bad idea.  It was clear Kofi was running the table, but in having him get murdered for an hour and still beat 5 guys, he's now turned into SUPERKofi.  I was rooting for Kofi because he was the underdog.  You're not an underdog anymore when you pin a fresh Samoa Joe and a fresh Randy Orton back-to-back after being left for dead a half hour earlier.  Now you're John Cena.

So basically you sacrifice two of your main heels and give away the WM title match  (yes, I know it wasn't really a REAL match, but I mean, I just saw them have a one-on-one match, and dead Kofi still almost won) to end up right back where you started.  

Kofi is OVER.  Just admit you don't know how it happened and LET IT HAPPEN.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Casey said:

As the main event, the Raw women's match is the only story being built across both weekly shows.  And I wouldn't blame them for why Asuka got no time tonight when the gauntlet (good though it was!) was more than an hour.

It warmed my heart to hear the crowd still giving Charlotte/Becky LET THEM FIGHT chants.  That tag match however did not leave me feeling confident about the rumoured Mania 4-way title match.

By that logic, every main event from now on should be built up on both shows. I get that it's only happening because Becky and Charlotte are Smackdown superstars, but that segment should have and could have been booked for RAW, and that time could have been used for Asuka. There's no GMs or whatever anymore, but the brand split is still in effect... so what does Smackdown get out of that triple threat main event match? If Becky or Charlotte win, it's not like they're bringing the title back to the blue brand. Only one of them is coming back, and even that is iffy at this point.

Also, yeah, the IIconics aren't five star wrestlers or whatever, but Sasha was botching all over the place. I don't even want to see Kairi/Io versus Bayley & Sasha because it'll be almost pathetic how much the former would outclass the latter team.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

Not that I'm a big Sasha hater or anything, but I recall she's been criticized for botching her spots a lot going back to her title feud with Charlotte Flair. Either botching or taking sick bumps where it looks like she's going to get herself killed or her neck broken. Is that accurate? 

Edited by TheVileOne

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Not that I'm a big Sasha hater or anything, but I recall she's been criticized for botching her spots a lot going back to her title feud with Charlotte Flair. Either botching or taking sick bumps where it looks like she's going to get herself killed or her neck broken. Is that accurate? 

I don't know.  Ask Paige.