DVDVR Message Board

2019 - 2020 NCAA BASKETBALL THREAD

RIPPA

RJ Hampton is ranked as the #5 prospect in America and he has spurned all college offers.  

He will be playing in the Australian pro league instead as part of the New Zealand Breakers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ex-Creighton/Texas A&M/Memphis Grizzlies head coach Tony Barone passed away Tuesday at 72 after a long battle with cancer. He spent several years as Dick Versace's assistant at Bradley (including the 1982 NIT title winners) before taking the Blue Jays gig... and all the folks there liked to tell me that Tony was the head coach in all but name when he left. RIP Tony.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Kuetsar said:

ONLY a bachelors degree? I would have thought a law degree would be a prerequisite. . . 

Why?

Seriously, I think we overrate the education level people need to do some jobs.  Being an agent doesn't need higher education as much as it needs game.  You need to be able to look someone in the eye and tell them you are going to pay their client millions of dollars and for them to look back and say OK.  That's something that education isn't going to get you.

Thing is, NBA contracts aren't really something you get to do deep legal haggling on. They are pretty much all the same for each group of players, only with the dollar amounts/percent of cap changing. First round rookie deals are two years with two team option years then restricted free agency. Designated Player Extensions are 35% of the cap the first year with 8% annual raises, there is only a two year window, set criteria, etc. It's all more or less etched in stone by the CBA.

You don't need a law degree, because you aren't allowed the kind of tricky legal chances a lawyer would take. You just need to pass the NBAPA test that proves you understand how NBA contracts work, etc.

• Like 1

The most powerful agent in the sport got his job, because he sold the best basketball player in the world some jerseys out of his trunk at the airport.  What makes someone good at being an agent has nothing to do with education, and everything about can you get the price you want for the product you are selling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Then who's going to negotiate the contract? If I then have to pay a lawyer because my agent can't/wont do it, I have a shitty agent.

The agents negotiate the contract, the attorneys write it up.  The same as it has always been.

Also Lebron seems like a really good friend

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Creighton's projected starting center Jacob Epperson is apparently done for the season and his career may be in doubt after suffering what's being described as a Kevin Ware-level leg injury in practice. (Do not Google that shit under any circumstances and don't even think of linking it here).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 5:48 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

And Memphis is about to burn to the ground...

Memphis actually got a judge to issue a restraining order to allow him to play until the case is resolved, and the NCAA has basically said "fine, play him, but he's not eligible and we're coming" though obviously not in those words.