DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: New York - 4/5/2019

Dolfan in NYC

16 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Anybody else run to look up the NXT Championship lineage when Mauro said 11 former champs were competing at Mania?

I didn't so will have a go:

Rollins, Balor, Joe, Nakamura, McIntyre, Andrade and Black. 

Is KO in the Andre battle royal? No Big E either.

This would be the list--

* Seth Rollins (UC Title)

* Big E

* Bo Dallas (Andre)

* Kevin Owens

* Finn Balor (IC Title)

* Samoa Joe (US Title)

* Shinsuke Nakamura (Andre)

* Bobby Roode (Andre)

* Drew McIntyre (vs Roman Reigns)

* Andrade (Andre)

* Aleister Black (SDL Tag Titles)

Worth noting Big E and KO haven't been assigned actual spots, but gotta figure they'll do something.

Edited by Burgundy LaRue
Added matches for clarification
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of Mauro facts, he said the winner of Cole/Gargano becomes the first NXT Triple Crown Champion but that didn't sound right to me. Gargano, yes. Cole no unless Freebirds rules?

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Speaking of Mauro facts, he said the winner of Cole/Gargano becomes the first NXT Triple Crown Champion but that didn't sound right to me. Gargano, yes. Cole no unless Freebirds rules?

Didn't Cole sub for Fish when UE defended against Strong & Dunne? 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also - I said this on Twitter - but the biggest thing the Dunne/WALTER match did for me was make me realize what others have been saying and that Mauro really is annoying.

Vic Joseph as the lead voice in that match made it so much better

I pretty much hit that spot with the incredibly strained A Star Is Born reference in the tag match.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Didn't Cole sub for Fish when UE defended against Strong & Dunne? 

Yep the Takeover where he became the 1st North American Champion he pulled double duty also AOP was in the tag match. 

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Said it in the past but Matt Riddle played up the douchey bro aspect as a heel in Beyond against Joey Joey Janela, he's definitely more than capable of it (although ultimately the jock douche kings are UE so where would he fit?).

I think Riddle's vibe working slightly heel is less the silly douchebag energy of UE and more that he's such a superior athlete that he can afford to be laid back, so when things become hard for him he gets frustrated and dials up the aggression to a scary extent. His match against Darby Allin to towards the end of his Evolve run is a great example of that I think (even to a certain extent the Ospreay match from last mania weekend).

• Like 3

I’m a big Adam Cole fan so I may be biased but the last 5/10 minutes of the main event went beyond ridiculous. 

Gargano to me is great in the ring but ultimately dull as dishwater, won’t even get started on his selling. It’s a great moment for Gargano but Cole as champion makes more sense in my opinion. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MADCAP said:

Hot take: Velveteen Dream is the Carlos Mencia of wrestling. I like him, but his move set is a Greatest Hits package of the most overused moves of the past 15 years, but he has that weird charisma that lets him get a pass.

I did pop for the back rake tho. 

Dream is the perfect less is more counter to the current main event style, making back rakes and double ax handles and hulking up mean something. Dream/Riddle was my match of the night.

At some point during the main event, I had two thoughts: 1) “I think I hate Johnny Gargano.” 2) “Fuck, Gargano’s finisher is kicking out, isn’t it? That actually makes sense.”

• Like 4

Strong chance Walter/Dunne is my favourite match of all time. Loved how it went away from normal WWE pacing - Dunne trying to avoid Walter's chops rather than stand there and take them for a cheap crowd reaction, or do something illogical that leads to him getting shit kicked. The presentation of Walter is fantastic, and genuinely worry about him getting a call up to basically be nu-Kuzlov. Main event a nothing PPV, lose, and then be part of a wacky tag team down the line with No Way Jose.

Really enjoyed the tag opener. Still hoping there'll be advances in technology that will allow me my War Raiders vs Natural Disasters dream match.

Dream/Riddle enjoyable for the story it told, not so much for how they got there.

Women's match could have been better. I can't remember the last time I sat through an entire Johnny Gargano match.

• Like 1

By all accounts, WALTER refused to sign with WWE until they launched NXT UK and he has no desire to ever live here full time. So I don't think he's getting called up, ever.

• Like 1

Just finished this since I was doing other stuff last night (I had to mute the DVDVR twitter account until I watched it).

Dug the tag match and I hope Ric is ok for tomorrow. Dream/Riddle was way better than I thought and I haven't seen any Riddle outside of NXT and I get it now. Dream is great at just taking punishment and then waiting for chances to power up and hit his offense. I'm a Dunne fan but I just wasn't into the match with Walter.  I wonder if Pete will move around to a different brand now. Dug the women's match but I'm salty that Bianca took the loss. They have a long time until the next Takeover so it should be interesting to see what happens.

The main was what I thought it would be, over dramatic. The last finishing sequence by Cole should have been it but whatever. Hopefully Johnny's a champ they keep off TV for a few weeks at a time.

For people that care about this sort of thing, it's looking likely that Meltzer gives Cole/Gargano the full 5 stars (or higher) based off saying it's possibly the best WWE match ever.

• Haha 2

I finally saw Takeover. Based on what I have seen, including G1, it is probably the show of the weekend. That isn't to say that I loved it with all of my heart - I still find it a little overwrought, a little overexplained, and the matches were five different flavours of super-indy spectaculars. But the show is a reasonable length and is fat free and all the matches range from 3.5-4.25.

I think sometimes I'd like to see NXT test their crowd a little more instead of rewarding them for simply liking indie wrestling. Being coherent and doing escalating stunts can only get you so far. If this is such a great crowd, why not take them somewhere deeper? Test the comfort zones. Do they have it in them?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

For people that care about this sort of thing, it's looking likely that Meltzer gives Cole/Gargano the full 5 stars (or higher) based off saying it's possibly the best WWE match ever.

I don't follow wrestling twitter thaaaat widely I guess, and I'm not surprised that people liked this match more than me but I am genuinely a little shocked that the range of opinions stretches THIS far in the positive range.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sevendaughters said:

think sometimes I'd like to see NXT test their crowd a little more instead of rewarding them for simply liking indie wrestling. Being coherent and doing escalating stunts can only get you so far. If this is such a great crowd, why not take them somewhere deeper? Test the comfort zones. Do they have it in them?

Considering the amount of "home grown" wrestlers who have gotten over in NXT (main roster floundering aside), I definitely don't see the crowd as being completely catered to with indie trends, with Velveteen Dream being the current shining example. 

I don’t understand how Johnny Gargano exists in WWE.

The main event was peak more is more style, which, no matter how you slice it (or whether you even care for it or not), is incompatible with “slow down and tell a story,” “make everything count,” etc. that you always hear from people who supposedly know better (and are allegedly putting these matches together). Are these people just full of shit or what?

Also, I get that Vince is hands off with NXT, and these are “separate universes,” but why does it have to be one extreme or the other? Dudes kicking out of springboard Canadian destroyers or whatever on one show, while guys are losing to rollups in 2 minutes on the other. 1 show full of top tier superstars, and 1 full of inept geeks. Can’t we just find a happy medium?

A separate issue—I feel like I must be crazy, but I don’t accept Johnny as a baby face after the way everything has played out. Am I crazy? Did I miss something? Just because he got the drop on Ciampa when he tried to turn on him again? Or because of his injury/surgery? Are we supposed to just forget about Johnny being a dickhead for 6 months? He never apologized or actually turned or anything. I don’t get it at all.

Edited by crazypook
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1