DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: New York - 4/5/2019

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh, huh. I guess I could see that, but they were also chanting"you deserve it," which is what made me think some dickhead got kicked out.

I just assumed that Kushida was making his way through the crowd to take his seat...

Just now, Eivion said:

Would O'Reilly really get the lead role over Strong?

Maybe? I mean, Roderick is awesome in the ring, but I think you'd rather have O'Reilly talking. Hell, you'd probably rather have the wall behind them talk.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Triple H and Pete Dunne baby talk.

I clicked this expecting it to be Trips and Dunne speaking to each other in baby jabber.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Right result in Dream vs. Riddle. Both staying in NXT makes them avoid the hit and miss NXT callups to main roster. Also added experience. Both have taken well to wrestling in a short amount of time. 

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Playing catch up on WALTER vs Dunne:

Things i loved:

- Dunne's selling of WALTER's chops early. Just the way he dropped and crumbled.

- How WALTER gradually took over in the first few minutes with Dunne trying less and less offense each time as WALTER overwhelmed him. 

- How the hope spots were all hold based. 

- How earned both the eventual comeback (at least three or four dodges and moves to get to a point where he was firing back) and really almost any offense Dunne got in the subsequent minutes (the top rope flip powerbomb only working after the finger to stop the cut off) and likewise how desperate a lot of his offense had to be.

- Tons of specific moves (like the WALTER stop onto the neck). 

- So much struggle for 65% of the match, which is everything you want from a match like this. Everything. 

What I didn't love:

- Way too many kickouts at the end. The sleeper suplex should have probably ended it. I would have been ok with the stomp to the throat ending it (with a power bomb that hit), to be honest. Everything after the Sleeper Suplex from the top (with Dunne barely selling the landing) sort of felt like bullshit. What kind of fucking world are we in where a match like that doesn't end things? At the least make it part of a finishing stretch. Instead there was another what? 7 minutes?

- WALTER taking too much at the end. I get that Dunne has a legendary title reign, but there are so many excuses for why he'd lose this one while keeping him protected. It was worked like the third or fourth match in a series between the two of them, not a first. WALTER is huge. Protect him for the eventual bigger match. 

So yeah, first half of the match was great, absolutely great. Second half was  bullshit. I  By the time they were doing the strike exchange at the end, I wanted to be watching something else. By the time the ref got in the way to allow for the big boot, I was using the 10 second skip ahead to just get through it. Sorry. That I was so into the first half just made the second half so much worse.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

Dream-Riddle was GREAT. Who was it that was incredulous that Riddle could be seen as a heel? He did some great heel work in places here.

Dunne-WALTER was great in-ring, but way too long and it took way too much to keep Dunne down. Not the way to build up your Galactus monster. He's been pushed to the limit in his first real match.

Tag match was the type of horrible spotfest that everyone here loves and I can't stand, no surprise. Ricochet doing the Black sit-down with a shit-eating grin on his face is something I don't ever need to see again.

All three-way and four-way matches are bad.

Main event was typical SuperJohnny bullshit that everyone would and has shit on in other contexts. Ending with Ciampa miraculously made it worse.

How many moonsaults from the second turnbuckle to the floor do we really need in one night?

• Like 2

Everyone hasn't and didn't shit on it. I'd say damn near everyone in that building fell in love with it.

A handful on people on DVDVR =/= "Everyone" no matter how much you want that to be true. If that were there case, you'd have shit like Chris Masters in the John Cena role.

• Thanks 2

I did actually mean to say "everyone here," but I said in other contexts: Hogan, SuperCena

Pretty uniformly shit on for a long period of time in most IWC circles. But it's okay when it's Gargano fighting 4 dudes by himself. 

Just now, J.H. said:

I loved Walter/Dunnebut was kinda hoping they were going to Vader/Sting this and have DQ to set-up the rematch where Walter wins in dominant fashion

James

That's exactly what I thought about 10 minutes in. I thought it was going to be like Sting vs Vader with Dunne taking Walter way too lightly and getting the shit kicked out of him for being overly confident. It at least did start that way and then turned into a little of Joe vs Kobashi and a little bit of a bunch of other shit too.

BTW, I found one thing I like more on the main roster while watching this show. In the main roster, I don't have to worry nearly as much about someone getting a concussion or a neck injury. At some point, they have to tone down all of the head dropping and other overly stiff stuff.

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

Ricochet doing the Black sit-down with a shit-eating grin on his face is something I don't ever need to see again.

They have done it a couple of times already so unfortunately for you it might become their thing (at least in big matches)

• Like 2

Great show, as tradition. 

My favorite moment of the night was Velveteen Dream using a back rake. I am not kidding or being facetious. He might be my favorite wrestler in the world right now. 

The back rake is an example of Dream is so incredible. He exaggerated his posture and stance so much. He did it in a way so the people all the way in the upper, upper, upper echelons could see it. He got a friggin' reaction from a back rake of all things in 2019. He wants to perform in front of 80,000 people. That fits his character perfectly, but it's also just a wise choice going forward. He really gets how to connect with a crowd more than anyone NXT has developed possibly ever.

• Like 7

D3c11LUUYAA-dNX?format=jpg&name=large

I'm first to bring up Johnny Gargano's Iron Man attire. I really like how Gargano uses comic book inspired ring gear at NXT TakeOver's. I remember Thor: Ragnarok, Captain America from Avengers: Infinity War, the Punisher and Dark Phoenix.

Edited by The Natural

5 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Great show, as tradition. 

My favorite moment of the night was Velveteen Dream using a back rake. I am not kidding or being facetious. He might be my favorite wrestler in the world right now. 

The back rake is an example of Dream is so incredible. He exaggerated his posture and stance so much. He did it in a way so the people all the way in the upper, upper, upper echelons could see it. He got a friggin' reaction from a back rake of all things in 2019. He wants to perform in front of 80,000 people. That fits his character perfectly, but it's also just a wise choice going forward. He really gets how to connect with a crowd more than anyone NXT has developed possibly ever.

Agree on the back rate and to add to that, it annoyed the usually laid back Matt Riddle.

Has the King of Bros grown on you, @Greggulator?

Edited by The Natural

Hot take: Velveteen Dream is the Carlos Mencia of wrestling. I like him, but his move set is a Greatest Hits package of the most overused moves of the past 15 years, but he has that weird charisma that lets him get a pass.

I did pop for the back rake tho. 

Edited by MADCAP

2 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

Hot take: Velveteen Dream is the Carlos Mencia of wrestling. I like him, but his move set is a Greatest Hits package of the most overused moves of the past 15 years, but he has that weird charisma that lets him get a pass.

I did pop for the back rake tho. 

I definitely get that. To counter, I know they haven't overtly said as much, but it sort of feels right to me in the sense of "kid that grew up with 90's pro wrestling uses all the greatest hits from that era in his moveset". Kind of like Eugene or that one promo with Miz from WM28 where he's watching all the TV's. It'd be cool if they explored that a little, because I *think* that's what Dream's going for rather than just not having any creativity on offense.

• Like 3

Said it in the past but Matt Riddle played up the douchey bro aspect as a heel in Beyond against Joey Joey Janela, he's definitely more than capable of it (although ultimately the jock douche kings are UE so where would he fit?).

Guest Edwin
3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Everyone hasn't and didn't shit on it. I'd say damn near everyone in that building fell in love with it.

A handful on people on DVDVR =/= "Everyone" no matter how much you want that to be true. If that were there case, you'd have shit like Chris Masters in the John Cena role.

Liar!

Everyone hated it!

Proof:

You can barely hear the crowd! Total silence!

Edited by Edwin

6 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Liar!

Everyone hated it!

Proof:

Look at how quite that crowd is!

My big takeaway from that was "KUSHIDA'S GONNA HELP HIM!! JOHNNY WRESTLING!! TAP YOU SONUVABUTCH!!" Oh my fucking lord.

• Like 2