DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: New York - 4/5/2019

Dolfan in NYC

That was the most fun I've had at an event in years. I took a lot of video hopefully I can upload soon, I absolutely loved everything about at least 4 out of the 5 main card matches.

Johnny Wrestling is amazing and the main was booked so well because that place was 85% behind Adam COLE BAY BAY and by the end the place exploded for the tap out.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That was the most fun I've had at an event in years. I took a lot of video hopefully I can upload soon, I absolutely loved everything about at least 4 out of the 5 main card matches.

Johnny Wrestling is amazing and the main was booked so well because that place was 85% behind Adam COLE BAY BAY and by the end the place exploded for the tap out.

I forgot you were there. Glad you had a blast. I think Ligerbusa was at the show.

• Like 2

Gosh, I just don't see it. He may be among the best, but I don't think he is the best. And again, the flip side of "and then the bell had to ring" is "but then he had to speak" and Roddy sounds like this:

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What were people cheering like crazy for during the tag match? Did someone get kicked out?

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

What were people cheering like crazy for during the tag match? Did someone get kicked out?

I thought it was a marriage proposal. Bryan Alvarez says it was a obstructive rig light getting turned off.

Edited by The Natural

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I thought it was a wedding proposal. Bryan Alvarez says it was a obstructive rig light getting turned off.

Oh, huh. I guess I could see that, but they were also chanting"you deserve it," which is what made me think some dickhead got kicked out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

There was a light shining into the upper deck. People were chanting "Fuck that light!" And then they erupt when it was turned off. Then they started a You Deserve It chant.

I feel bad for the women because the crowd did tire out a bit after the big Dream win over Riddle..  which was a pretty equal 50/59 split..

But then they had to get hype for the UK title too because it was going to be awesome and a lot of Brits in that place too

So by the time the women came out it was tough. Plus, everyone pretty much knew shayna was going over.

Every time Charlotte was on screen, boos. But everytime Ronda was on screen even bigger boos. Becky was over as hell. I wonder if that will carry over to sunday.

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

Yeah, if you didn't like Gargano/Cole, then I'd have to say you're going to struggle to find something you'll like in 2019.

The other singles matches that were better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There was a light shining into the upper deck. People were chanting "Fuck that light!" And then they erupt when it was turned off. Then they started a You Deserve It chant.

I feel bad for the women because the crowd did tire out a bit after the big Dream win over Riddle..  which was a pretty equal 50/59 split..

But then they had to get hype for the UK title too because it was going to be awesome and a lot of Brits in that place too

So by the time the women came out it was tough. Plus, everyone pretty much knew shayna was going over.

Every time Charlotte was on screen, boos. But everytime Ronda was on screen even bigger boos. Becky was over as hell. I wonder if that will carry over to sunday.

That always seems to happy to the women Asuka/Bayley 1 had to follow Sami vs. Nak and Shayna vs. Belair last Takeover had to follow Ricochet vs. Gargano. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

That always seems to happy to the women Asuka/Bayley 1 had to follow Sami vs. Nak and Shayna vs. Belair last Takeover had to follow Ricochet vs. Gargano. 

I remember people saying how they enjoyed Asuka/Bayley from NXT TakeOver: Dallas 2016 more on a second viewing, myself included. Asuka/Bayley were unfortunate following Nakamura vs. Zayn. That's still the best NXT swansong from NXT to main roster.

39 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I remember people saying how they enjoyed Asuka/Bayley from NXT TakeOver: Dallas 2016 more on a second viewing, myself included. Asuka/Bayley were unfortunate following Nakamura vs. Zayn. That's still the best NXT swansong from NXT to main roster.

I think Zayn still holds up as arguably the greatest NXT run of anyone, bar none.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Really fun Takeover 

Opening tag was just what I needed at that point. For context, by the time Takeover had started, I'd watched 8 hours of wrestling in a row (the Chikara and Black Label Pro shows, plus catching up on the ISW show in the gaps), so an insane spectacle like that was perfect to pep me up. The missed 630 by Ricochet felt like the hurtiest missed move I'd seen in a long time. 

Dream/Riddle was neat, and really worked with their characters. I dug how the Dream mind games didn't affect the laidback Riddle, but his resilience drove Riddle mad until he was able to capitalize on one moment to win. Great stuff. 

I've seen people on Twitter calling Walter/Peter the best match in Takeover history, which feels daft in a world where Almas/Gargano exists, and it probably wasn't as good as Pete/Tyler, but it was still excellent. Started slowly, but built to a crescendo where Walter needed a super version of his finish AND a top rope splash to win. 

Women's four way was really good. Glad Shayna won, her title reign has been too dominant and too long for her to lose it in a multi-person match, she needs to lose 1-on-1. This way, she won clean whilst still leaving a match with Io on the table. 

I didn't watch the main,  because 2/3 falls of Adam Cole sounds like my idea of torture.

• Like 2

Tag match was fun and a great open but had a lot of spots that I didn't like. Of note, the "push the partner in to break up the hot false finish" spot can die for a while now. It's done. Also, Black hitting that stomp when both guys where covering Ricochet really broke the fall? Really?

Hope Ricochet is okay. He looked fucked up by the end there.

Riddle-Dream was everything I hoped it would be. Riddle looked shades of heel tonight and I was convinced they'd go there. Damn fine stuff.

WALTER-Dunne was great clubbering. Probably a beat too long, but this is NXT -- That's this brand's signature.

Women's title had the aforementioned misfortune of being in a spot where I was exhausted, but they did well. While Mania is bloated these days, TakeOvers are dense to a fault.

Main did nothing for me. I like Gargano and Cole against certain types of opponents. But I wasn't here for this. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

I've seen people on Twitter calling Walter/Peter the best match in Takeover history, which feels daft in a world where Almas/Gargano exists, and it probably wasn't as good as Pete/Tyler

I didn't watch the main,  because 2/3 falls of Adam Cole sounds like my idea of torture.

Oof. We have different ideas of torture apparently.

That show was pretty damn good top to bottom. Even the so/so match of the card (I would say the 4 way just because I generally don't like one fall multiple people matches) was good. Honestly I was expecting War Raiders vs Ricochet and Black to be the dud of the night. I am so glad I was so wrong. Hanson is so damn amazing. When he did that cannonball to the floor I thought for a minute he might try to do his own 630 if they were doing each other's moves.

Dream going full Apollo Creed for his entrance was amazing. I didn't think he and Riddle would mesh well, but Dream took a hell of a beating in this match. I'd love to see Riddle go full heel after last night's match.

Dunne vs. WALTER was as good as I thought it was going to be. Yeah, it went probably ten minutes longer then it should have. But I thought Pete was going to retain. I was in pain with my carpal tunnel and possibly arthritic hands seeing Pete constantly bend Walter's fingers. When he had Walter in that Regal stretch...God, I felt that. But yeah part of me thought Pete could beat Walter. Walter's reign of terror should be fun to watch though.

Only match I didn't really like was the four way as I said before. I thought Bianca would win, but was pleasantly surprised when Shayna retained. I really want to see Io and Kari have a full on feud like they had in Japan. But it always feels like NXT has way too many women and everyone gets lost in the shuffle. I mean look at Candice LaRae. You'd think she would be in this mix and she's barely on tv. It should be interesting where Shayna goes from here though.

Gargano vs. Cole was good. But I'm not sure if it needed the 2/3 falls stip. They could have easily done a ladder match and had all the same level of drama of "can Johnny do it". I'm glad he won. I can never hate Ciampa after the ending though. All that villiany...gone.

I’ve only seen the tag match and Riddle/Dream but both were a blast. I nearly shouted the house down at 12am over here. Didn’t think Riddle and Dream would mesh but it was really good in parts. Agree with everyone though, Riddle needs to go heel. 

I admire Mauro and everything he’s done/gone through but some of his shtick makes me want to turn the sound off.

• Like 1

BTW - just to along with the video already posted, they are definitely doing something with UE

Right after Gargano wins, in the wide shot you can seeing Cole angrily pull away from the rest of the guys and then Kyle O'Reilly had a Tweet apologizing to Cole

15 minutes ago, peterien said:

I admire Mauro and everything he’s done/gone through but some of his shtick makes me want to turn the sound off.

agreed, lost count of how many times I said to myself "FFS Mauro" after some pop culture reference shoehorned in there.

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - just to along with the video already posted, they are definitely doing something with UE

Right after Gargano wins, in the wide shot you can seeing Cole angrily pull away from the rest of the guys and then Kyle O'Reilly had a Tweet apologizing to Cole

I can understand wanting to turn Cole, since he basically has to work his ass off to get booed every night, but I'm not sure it's a good idea for the other three.

Although Kyle could be really fun as the new leader.

• Like 1