DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: New York - 4/5/2019

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I feel a lot of cool shit on this show won't get talked about due to debating the main. Walter fucking used the Hansen Lariat of Death!!!

Thank you for reminding me. That was awesome.

I fucking loved almost everything from this show. For me, it was nearly perfect. Loved the opener and I was in tears for the curtain call. I really hope Ricochet is ok.

Dream and Riddle was awesome and damn, Riddle can work like one hell of a heel. The story of that match was so good because it's clear that Dream doesn't have the same firepower that Riddle has, but he has a ton of heart and ring awareness to frustrate Riddle and make him make mistakes.

Walter and Dunne was pure brutality. Maybe one of the stiffest matches I've seen in NXT or WWE. That one slap from Dunne to Walter, the huge one to Walter's face has probably KO'd lesser people. Then you have the avalanche power bomb, the Hansen lariat, and so much more.

And this is where I have a problem with Takeovers. You just had these three insane matches and you have no time to recover. I was emotionally spent for the women's match to where I just wanted it to be over because so much had overwhelmed me. I was surprised by the finish too.

Then comes the main event and I'm STILL kinda out of it. Like, it's fucking exhausting watching one great match after another. I thought the first two falls were pretty good, but I also thought Cole looked a little blown up. By the third fall, I was completely engrossed and wound up loving the hell out of the match. If I would change anything, it's maybe not killing Gargano with literally everything. They prostituted two finishers during the match, which was unnecessary. You could easily cut those out. I get them wanting to do something really huge too, like the Panama Sunrise, but again, probably unnecessary. Even still, I felt it was great and they turned the crowd which was very pro Cole into being very pro Gargano. 

• Like 3

I know my opinion on Andrade has always been out of step with this board, but I can't fathom thinking his stuff with Gargano looked organic and tonight looked over rehearsed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I know my opinion on Andrade has always been out of step with this board, but I can't fathom thinking his stuff with Gargano looked organic and tonight looked over rehearsed.

Andrades offense as a suddenness to it Coles simply doesn't have. Absolutely nothing he does in the main Gargano match feels like it had been worked on or rehearsed. One of his biggest bright spots is how his strike exchanges could end with his short elbow which always feels sudden an out of nowhere.

Compare that to the Gargano/Cole Enziguri/Superkick encounter today, were it felt like they had to work to get that timing down perfectly for hours in the performance center.

• Like 1

I legit can't understand that POV. Everything he did feels so contrived and rehearsed to me, outside oh the matches with Rey. Like, that was my first problem with him, how nothing ever felt "real" to me. I'm not trying to be contrarian, I just don't understand at all.

• Like 2

Just finished the show.

War Raiders vs. Black/Ricochet was possibly the best WWE tag match this year and the best either team has looked so far in WWE. Loved how they matched up stylistically, and there were some great spots set up. Black and Ricochet getting to soak int he love post match was nice.

Dream/Riddle was as good as I hoped and the most I've enjoyed Riddle so far in NXT. Loved how frustrated he was constantly getting from being unable to put Dream away. Glad Dream won. Riddle losing here should be a decent growth point for him, and hopefully Dream actually holds the NA title for a decent bit.

Dunne/WALTER was the physical war I hoped for and easy MOTN for me. That was an awesome end to Dunne's glorious reign.

Fatal 4-way was arguably the worst match tonight yet the best NXT women's match in a good while. Loved the Sky Pirate team ups and how the played off th etwo breaking up each other's big pinfall moment. That was some great drama that helped build into the big finish. I'm actually kind of happy Shayna won. When Shayna loses the belt for good I kind of hope its in a 1 on 1 match. Really hoping it Io who does the deed. Good match.

I don't really like Cole and don't care much for Gargano unless he is wrestling someone I like. The first two falls did damn near nothing for me save one or two moment. That last fall though honestly drew me in and brought tons of great drama. The overkill/god mode for Johnny was fucking ridiculous, but it worked for this particular moment in time as something truly special. Its something I would be fine with never happening again, but was totally finally seeing here and led to an awesome third fall that got a crowd mostly behind Cole fully behind Gargano.

All in all a great show for me. Every match delivered on a show I wasn't super excited for going in. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

It was one of the best matches I've ever seen, and I'm not exactly known for loving Shawn

As I was watching this I was honestly thinking Fowler fucking loved this match which makes his dislike of Michaels all the more damn hilarious. Thank you for this comment, you wonderful person.

Edited by Eivion
  • Haha 3

Only disagree with you on War Raiders vs. Black/Ricochet as the best tag team match this year. For me that's Strong/O'Reilly vs. War Raiders from NXT TakeOver: Phoenix 2019. Think I preferred Ricochet/Black vs. EU and #DIY vs. Strong/O'Reilly from Dusty Rhodes Classic on NXT TV as well.

Edited by The Natural

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Only disagree with you on War Raiders vs. Black/Ricochet as the best tag team match this year. For me that's Strong/O'Reilly vs. War Raiders from NXT TakeOver: Phoenix 2019. Think I preferred Ricochet/Black vs. EU and #DIY vs. Strong/O'Reilly from Dusty Rhodes Classic on NXT TV as well.

Liked all three of those matches, but didn't even think any of them were as good as MM vs. Gibson/Drake let alone tonight's match. 

Holy shit, this show. Not a bad match to be had and everyone brought their working boots(and then some)

Opening tag was everything good about the NXT tag division and a great swan song for Black and Ricochet.

Glad to see Dream win and hope he gets a sustained run with the title. Riddle still feels like a superstar and I loved his look after Dream pinned him. Dream as the statue of Liberty gets ******.

Walter vs Dunne was the match of the night for me. Just a fucking WAR and these two just beat the shit out of each other. No putting smiles on faces, no "entertaining the NXT universe", just two guys who were willing to do anything and everything to win the match and be the better man. Long live Walter.

The women's match was the "worst" on the show but not bad by any stretch of the imagination. Bianca feels like she would be better as a heel. The battle of the sky pirates after the early teamwork was a fun highlight. Shayna is 13 different kinds of awesome and I second Eivion that I hope Io is the one who finally knocks her off the throne.

While I personally loved the hell out of the main event, I can see the argument against it. If anything, it felt like the 2 out of 3 falls stipulation hurt it. Make the third fall the actual match and it probably serves the match better. That ending with Ciampa, all the feels, man. Come back soon, you magnificent bastard

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Breakup seeds sown?

I always felt like Roddy has been on borrowed time in TUE since Fish could wrestle again. WWE isn't big on 4 man factions also.

• Like 1

I gave up on NXT when the ciampa/gargano bullshit finally drove me away so I haven't watched a second of NXT since around June of last year. This card had me curious some, I had interest in Dunne/Walter since I did watch the UK Takeover and I like all of the 4 women so I thought with Ciampa gone, I'd give this another shot. So fuck that lame ass ending still having to force that shitty kayfabe killing story all over the place. I turned it off as soon as the bell rang so thankfully I didn't have to sit through that, but just seeing it here.. ugh.

Rest of the card was admittedly very good. Opening tag great, Dream/Riddle was awesome... first time seeing Riddle in NXT and hadn't seen Dream in some time. thought they matched up well and while the awful booking of Samoa Joe has made me hate that finish, this was at least a better alternate take on it... both guys looked good. Dunne/Walter lived up to the hype. Hard for me to take anyone beating Dunne at this point but figured he was losing, so if he has to lose I think Walter's the best choice. Absolutely loved the womens' 4 way, thought everyone looked great, Io especially, lots of fun spots and awesome stuff like Bianca's double lift at the end. Not the finish I would've gone with as I thought this would/should be Bianca's night. Feud video was really great too.

Johnny no sell can fuck off forever, won't bother watching any more of his forced "epics", one a year is more than enough. I'm guessing Undisputed Era are getting called up next. I don't think I'll go back to being a regular nxt viewer, but glad this show had mostly good stuff at least.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The more I think about it - and god I can't believe I am going to say this - I would have liked that match a lot more if it was Roderick Strong instead of Adam Cole

You know, I rarely agree with your odd opinions, but I'm all-in on this one. Roddy is interesting in ways that Cole simply isn't. Once you get past the screaming "Adam Cole, BAY-bee!!!!" He's as bland as my accountant (my accountant's a good dude, but "Mr Excitement", he's not). Cole can follow a better wrestler (like Gargano), but to expect anything more is just asking for disappointment. Roddy can be hit or miss, but at least even when he misses, he's doing something interesting whereas Cole seems firmly stuck in the late 1970s.

• Like 1

Man, Roddy is so fucking dull as a character and he sounds like Stevie from Eastbound and Down. He may be the better in ring performer, but Cole is the better complete package.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Man, Roddy is so fucking dull as a character and he sounds like Stevie from Eastbound and Down. He may be the better in ring performer, but Cole is the better complete package.

Bell to bell, Roddy might be the best guy in the company. He's the exact opposite of Bruce Prichard's "then the bell had to ring"

Which is why he's perfect with UE. Kyle and Cole have personality to spare.

• Like 1