DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: New York - 4/5/2019

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, El Dragon said:

I do think there is certainly stuff for me as well, and those 2 matches were clear highlights. But man, an arena full of people for Adam Cole having a match that felt like it was rehearsed 50 times was rough.

Amdrade had this great thing were he could have this type of match with Gargano and make it feel organic. Cole does NOT have that type of feel.

That’s an interesting take. 

Move always enjoyed Coles work and felt he kept up with gargono at this stage. When he has to play the over the top heel telling the good guy it isn’t his day, he loses me a bit, but overall I think he does a great job. 

The more I think about it - and god I can't believe I am going to say this - I would have liked that match a lot more if it was Roderick Strong instead of Adam Cole

• Like 1

Just a good old fashioned stomp to the throat. (Wish they didn’t do that cut)

I loved that Walter and Dunne was different than the other matches. Much more hurty. 

Edited by Valcourt

Guest Edwin

Edit: What I meant -- if you didn't Gargano/Cole, then you won't like most TakeOver main events as that seems to be the way they are molded.

Edited by Edwin
Clarification.

Overall, I thought it was a great show. But then I try to look at it from both the jaded grump I am at times, and the part of me that still thinks wrestling is the greatest thing in the world. I can see other sides here. Making Shayna the female Brock is doing no one in the women's division any favors. At this point they're gonna have to import Rhea, Jazzy (once she's up and running) or sic the ladies in the crowd tonight on her to even convey she can be beaten. It sure as hell won't be Kairi or Io that does it.

To be honest, my favorite part was seeing a friend of mine in the Raider's entrance, and yeah, seeing a guy that called into the podcast that J.H. and I used to be on a few times win the NXT strap was cool. I've seen Gargano come up through both Cleveland promotions and it's heartwarming as hell to see him succeed. So yeah, I'm a bit biased there. Tonight was the first time I've been able to see Walter, and all I could think was "Damn, that kid from Durmstrang got on the gas after that Trwizard tournament."

That lame joke dropped, I'm looking forward to the rest of the weekend. Does anyone know how Harper did last night

Guest Edwin
29 minutes ago, Raziel said:

And it wouldn't be an NXT show without a total break of kayfabe somewhere.

This maybe a hot take, but to me that's just as bad as folks blatantly slapping their thighs during strikes which seems to be an unfortunate massive modern trend.

5 minutes ago, Valcourt said:

That’s an interesting take. 

Move always enjoyed Coles work and felt he kept up with gargono at this stage. When he has to play the over the top heel telling the good guy it isn’t his day, he loses me a bit, but overall I think he does a great job. 

The thing with Gargano/Almas was it was always fast paced but never felt like they were going through a preset practiced routine. In that Cole/Gargano match, that exchange to the Double Superkick? That to me basically felt like the WWE drama style main event folding in on itself and being destroyed from within.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Looked on Wikipedia and the tag team match went 31 minutes, needed shortening.

It didn’t go that long - another place I saw had it at just over 18

I mean it went 31 if you count The entrances 

• Thanks 1

The tag match was a blast. Wouldn't be surprised if both Black and Ricochet are banged up, they seemed to take some nasty bumps throughout.

Velveteen Dream didn't disappoint with his entrance. Liked how Riddle leaned into being the heel. Another fun match.

Dunne-Walter was like watching a grizzly bear maul one of its cubs. The neck stomp was NASTY. The first three matches were a breeze to watch, very enjoyable.

Women's 4-way was good for what it was and the time it was given. But it feels they're going the way of Asuka with Shayna. They're going to have her kick around the rest of the division until no one cares. The only options are Io 1 vs 1 and Candice, which is how I think they're going. Bianca is the new Ember (not a good thing).

Gargano-Cole was great in the finish. But getting there was a bit much. Cole does nothing for me. It was Gargano's time and he got his happy ending, so for that.

Very good show. Loved the first 60%, the final 40% was a mixed bag.

• Like 1

Yeah considering the main went 38 - the tag wasn’t close to that.

I am assuming whoever put it in meant 21.

In fact they actual had to fill time with the post match because supposedly they went home 3 minutes early