DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: New York - 4/5/2019

Dolfan in NYC

First three matches were top notch. The opener wasn't the cleanest but was just straight up fun as hell, so the perfect match for that spot. Dream/Riddle was stiff as hell and then Walter and Dunne upped the ante even further.

I'm good on Gargano Epics basically forever. Tonight was full blown Johnny God Mode. 

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

Man, I'm not a massive Shawn Michaels fan, but that maybe my favorite TakeOver ever. Let's forget overanalyzing and being overly critical, I'll proudly admit I thought that was a great show top to bottom.

Guest Edwin

Also, I'm not modern wrestlings biggest fan, but I loved every moment of that. Most fun I've had watching pro-wrestling on TV in a long time.

Edited by Edwin

That was a pretty great show. We need to see more of Dunne and Walter going to war. So good. 

Only complaint...the UE run in would have been the perfect moment for some of the faces in the locker room to step up. Maybe even someone like Kushida who would've gotten a prime first feud.

Otherwise thumbs way up. 

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 3

The first three matches made up a perfect 2 hours of wrestling

I enjoyed the women's match - despite them yet again being boned by match placement

There were far too many things that I don't like in my wrestling in the main event

A chunk of the problems would have been eliminated if it wasn't 2 out of 3 Falls

Again - it had Shawn's finger prints all over it but I hate all the Shawn/Taker matches too

But they also aren't booking for me - they are booking for the folks who were there and they clearly ate it all up

• Like 3

Ricochet might've been injured according to Alvarez/various Twitter people

I missed most of the tag match, finishing stretch was strong

Riddle and Dream are both such insane combinations of athleticism and charisma, and they gelled really well. 

Walter/Dunne was violent as all hell and just amazing.

Women's four way was good, but I'm really over Shayna as champion and I'd have rather gotten a one on one

Main event was an instant classic

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

And it wouldn't be an NXT show without a total break of kayfabe somewhere.

Assuming you mean Ciampa at the end - you could argue that the injury video was his face turn (to go along with his tweet earlier in the day) so it isn't AS bad in the kayfabe sense

• Like 3

I would have been happy with either Gargano or Cole winning. I want the Gargano/Adam Cole feud to continue. I feel like Cole will win the title at the Summerslam Takeover. Johnny in the crowd with his family was a feel good moment and I really liked Ciampa coming out at the end. 

• Like 4

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

Ricochet might've been injured according to Alvarez/various Twitter people

I spotted the trainers with Ricochet in the corner before the match highlights aired. Don't know if Ricochet hurt himself from the missed 630 or War Raiders' finish.

I mean yeah, that Main was all of the worst parts of current WWE Big Match Excess stuck in a 25 minute package.  I get people love that now, but I just can't get into kicking out of 3423534543 finisher level moves a match.

Especially when Gargano has one of the least hurty looking submission finishers that is the easiest thing to counter not named the Bank Statement.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The first three matches made up a perfect 2 hours of wrestling

I enjoyed the women's match - despite them yet again being boned by match placement

There were far too many things that I don't like in my wrestling in the main event

A chunk of the problems would have been eliminated if it wasn't 2 out of 3 Falls

Again - it had Shawn's finger prints all over it but I hate all the Shawn/Taker matches too

But they also aren't booking for me - they are booking for the folks who were there and they clearly ate it all up

I feel like I'm squarely in your camp, as I also loathed the Styles/Cena kick out feasts that wouldn't end either. 

I think this show did more to convince me that wrestling has completely passed me by then anything.

• Like 1

Oh Walter is such a star. My wife who mostly half pays attention to shows and only ever asks about Bailey thought Walter looked “mean.” That’s a good reaction in my opinion.

i think dunne deserved the match he got, but I would have liked to see Walter with a 10 minute beat down to lead to more matches then end with something like what we saw. However, still loved it. 

Adam Cole hit a Panama Sunrise. That was interesting. 

Loved this show. 

• Like 1

In fact that is something that I could argue was hurt by the match being 2 out of 3 Falls

Gargano loses the first fall but then won't stay down basically 30 minutes later after what amounts to a nuclear strike

Cole at least immediately tapped in the 2nd Fall in what you could argue was "preventing injury"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I mean yeah, that Main was all of the worst parts of current WWE Big Match Excess stuck in a 25 minute package.  I get people love that now, but I just can't get into kicking out of 3423534543 finisher level moves a match.

Especially when Gargano has one of the least hurty looking submission finishers that is the easiest thing to counter not named the Bank Statement.

Cole goes down to one of whatever name they gave to Coles finisher early in the match. Then he kicks out of like 4 of the, after that, cause apparently he wasn't in JOHNNY WRESTLING mode yet.

Also - I said this on Twitter - but the biggest thing the Dunne/WALTER match did for me was make me realize what others have been saying and that Mauro really is annoying.

Vic Joseph as the lead voice in that match made it so much better

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

I feel like I'm squarely in your camp, as I also loathed the Styles/Cena kick out feasts that wouldn't end either. 

I think this show did more to convince me that wrestling has completely passed me by then anything.

Also in the same camp on the first part. But not the second. The first two hours of this show were right up my alley and I can watch Walter chopping dudes and Dream squeal like a pig while Riddle beats the hell out of him all day, every day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Also - I said this on Twitter - but the biggest thing the Dunne/WALTER match did for me was make me realize what others have been saying and that Mauro really is annoying.

Vic Joseph as the lead voice in that match made it so much better

Mauro making a "Hey, Nigel, here's a Brexit reference for ya!" In the middle of 2 men beating the piss out of each other made me groan.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

Also in the same camp on the first part. But not the second. The first two hours of this show were right up my alley and I can watch Walter chopping dudes and Dream squeal like a pig while Riddle beats the hell out of him all day, every day.

I do think there is certainly stuff for me as well, and those 2 matches were clear highlights. But man, an arena full of people for Adam Cole having a match that felt like it was rehearsed 50 times was rough.

Amdrade had this great thing were he could have this type of match with Gargano and make it feel organic. Cole does NOT have that type of feel.

• Like 2

Good opener in War Raiders vs Ricochet/Black. Peeve of mine when a wrestler has the chance to hit their top rope finish but go for something else instead. 

Really liked Dream/Riddle. I was surprised how on top Riddle was which got me thinking he was losing and that's what happened. 

Dunne vs. WALTER battered one another. Want to watch it again and see if I enjoyed it more, less or the same. I was tiring going into it.

Women's fatal four way was most I enjoyed an NXT Women's match in recent times for the Sky Pirates teaming together and a rear naked choke that wasn't long in before the tap. Thought Baszler would drop the belt without taking the decision.

Main event will divide opinion. I can honestly see both sides of the argument. I'd rather had Ciampa vs. Gargano here. Health comes before anything else though. Good seeing the Blackheart out there.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Well I see individuals divided on the match themselves

Like meaning - they thought the atmosphere was amazing but the wrestling/booking (whatever you want to call it) left something to be desired

• Like 1