DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: New York - 4/5/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Cody is also saying that he is doing the trademarks just to "protect his Father's intellectual property" and that it.

EVE Pro Wrestling already tweeted him asking if they could keep using "Battlebowl" and he said go right ahead.

Now - it clearly was done somewhat tongue in cheek but it does appear that (if granted) he won't be enforcing them unless the WWE tries it (or someone does some egregious)

Kinda like how MLW trademarked WarGames just so they could still use the name

They would have to enforce it to some extent or else they could lose the trademark.

I like how Velveteen Dream busts out special gear for his TakeOver matches such as long boxing shorts versus Kassisus Ohno and as Fuck Hollywood Hulk Hogan against Tommaso Ciampa. I see MMA type gear when the Velveteen Dream goes up against Matt Riddle on this show.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I like how Velveteen Dream busts out special gear for his TakeOver matches such as long boxing shorts versus Kassisus Ohno and as Fuck Hollywood Hulk Hogan against Tommaso Ciampa. I see MMA type gear when the Velveteen Dream goes up against Matt Riddle on this show.

My favorite was his variation of Ricochet's Prince Puma gear. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I’m more interested in Dream’s attire after the match. Ideally, he won’t have a belt. 

I don't see Riddle losing a title match this soon, and Dream seems like he's going to be a post WM call-up. 

Velveteen Dream in NXT for a little longer may do him good, added experience plus the hits and misses of NXT callups on the main roster. Also be nice to get some stability for the NXT North American Championship. Counting the first champion, Adam Cole, we've had four champions in less than a year.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

I feel somewhat bad for the UK fans that they're not getting Walter/Dunne on one of their Takeovers, and it seems like this match has been kind of rushed. It's said Walter was signed specifically for NXT:UK because he didn't want to move to the US, so it's not as if they have to blow through this match to get Walter his title reign before he gets moved to the main roster.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4

I think it's good in a way because I expect Dunne and WALTER will put on a show and it's going to have the most eyeballs on it so maybe some people will see that match and then want to see more of them on NXT UK.  I am also biased because I want to see this match lol

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I feel somewhat bad for the UK fans that they're not getting Walter/Dunne on one of their Takeovers, and it seems like this match has been kind of rushed. It's said Walter was signed specifically for NXT:UK because he didn't want to move to the US, so it's not as if they have to blow through this match to get Walter his title reign before he gets moved to the main roster.

Yeah I was pissed about it when I read about it being announced at the tapings, but assuming they didn't pump in crowd noise, the UK fans seemed to be happy for it so I can't really complain much anymore. Still I figured it was going to be the selling point of the next UK Takeover whenever that will be so I'm surprised they went with it now.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Eivion said:

Yeah I was pissed about it when I read about it being announced at the tapings, but assuming they didn't pump in crowd noise, the UK fans seemed to be happy for it so I can't really complain much anymore. Still I figured it was going to be the selling point of the next UK Takeover whenever that will be so I'm surprised they went with it now.

Really hope Dunne is the first UK main roster call up. Would love too see him vs Bryan/KO/McIntyre, etc

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Really hope Dunne is the first UK main roster call up. Would love too see him vs Bryan/KO/McIntyre, etc

I can't agree with this mostly because its feels like Dunne should help carry the UK brand for at least another 2 years or so while they continue to build everyone else up. The dude is young so there isn't a big need to rush.

• Like 3

Agreed but my opinion is, frankly, he should have lost the belt months ago at this point.  Walter's as good a candidate as any, but Dunne either needs to be chasing or called up.  

I am probably alone in this opinion, but I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to have been champ for basically 2 straight years.  

13 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Agreed but my opinion is, frankly, he should have lost the belt months ago at this point.  Walter's as good a candidate as any, but Dunne either needs to be chasing or called up.  

I am probably alone in this opinion, but I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to have been champ for basically 2 straight years.  

That is quite a hot take as I think he's fantastic.  And I can sense some will have very strong opinions on this if they got wind of it.  But it's the combination of being really great with MOTY candidate matches and the right now lack of quality replacement in the UK roster that keeps him as champ.  If anybody will take the title off of him it will very likely be WALTER.  I see him chasing the title for awhile and  hopefully it will lead to other wrestlers stepping up.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 3:42 PM, Eivion said:

Maybe they're holding it off so they can do the chase with Dunne or someone else if WALTER wins the title in Brooklyn.

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That is quite a hot take as I think he's fantastic.  And I can sense some will have very strong opinions on this if they got wind of it.  But it's the combination of being really great with MOTY candidate matches and the right now lack of quality replacement in the UK roster that keeps him as champ.  If anybody will take the title off of him it will very likely be WALTER.  I see him chasing the title for awhile and  hopefully it will lead to other wrestlers stepping up.

I’m with you, I think Dunne has been great to watch but he’s only been champ so long because they debuted the title way before the actual division to support it. Not sure why they didn’t give Bate more of a run with it first but outside of flipping the belt between those two guys there hasn’t really been a real challenger until WALTER (I didn’t buy Coffey was going to win for a second).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I sort of disagree. Dunne is pretty easily the best and most over guy in NXT UK. The only guy who comes close is Bate who was the first champ and probably could have used another 3-4 months as champ before dropping the belt to him. The only reason I would say Dunne shouldn't have been champ for 2 years straight is because Bate should have had a longer reign in the first place. Otherwise no one else really has the in ring talent or star power. Gibson and Coffey have grown and stepped up a bit, but both were definitely lacking in comparison. WALTER is the first guy to come around and really make you think Dunne should probably lose.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Another vote here for enjoying Pete Dunne's long reign as WWE United Kingdom Champion. Notable achievement having a reign so long and at least Dunne is constantly there defending it unlike Brock Lesnar. 

Last time the WWE UK Championship was defended on the main NXT TakeOver,  Dunne beat Tyler Bate for it at NXT TakeOver: Chicago 2017 in the WWE MOTY. This will be the end of the run, a changing of the guard.

I'd like Bate to get a second reign again.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1