Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Dolfan in NYC

NHL 2018-19: Period Three

Recommended Posts

Damn, forgot to open this at the beginning of the month.  Much like the Panthers forgot how to play hockey!  

Ugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Blues were spotted three goals by Tampa right at the beginning of the game tonight and holding on to not lose to them with a 3 goal spot ended up being the most exhausting thing I've ever been through.

I can't imagine anyone surviving a series against them let alone winning one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Jackets lose tonight in Vancouver and then lose on Tuesday to the Isles what before this season was considered impossible will become a reality: The Islanders will clinch a playoff spot.

On the other end of the spectrum after getting defenstrated last night in Montreal the Sabres will officially miss the playoffs for the 8th consecutive season. Tank Commander Phail Housley will guide us to 7 more losses and that coveted bottom 5 finish. As I put it elsewhere: Pegula, Botterill and Housley: The Three Stooges of pro hockey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Meanwhile, over in Detroit, the players missed the "hey, we're supposed to be tanking" memo.  They've won 4 out of 5 and are a blown 3-0 lead on Tampa from that being 5 out of 6.  They've signed a couple college free agents who walked right into the lineup.  Taro Hirose, this year's leading NCAA scorer, has a point in every game he's played.  They're also calling up every warm body they can from Grand Rapids.  And it's working.  Lots and lots of young guys fighting for jobs and they're playing hard.  The defense is still ghastly and they're getting outshot every night but, hey, they're winning.  Detroit is still a long way from being any good but they've got some solid pieces in place for the future.  Athanasiou and Larkin (who will be captain next year) are on target for 30 goals and a couple of the other young guys have looked pretty good.  

Edited by Tabe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I really wish the Canucks could land Jack Hughes but I don't see us winning the lottery with where we are at, as we've only got a 6% chance as is. And any team landing him would want Pettersson for him and fuck that noise. Our first and something like Horvat, probably but that wouldn't be enough. Anybody but LA or Chicago, plz.

How bad was that Matt Duchene trade now that Ottawa is at the bottom of the league and the Avalanche own their pick? 

Edited by Oyaji

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I really wish the Canucks could land Jack Hughes but I don't see us winning the lottery with where we are at, as we've only got a 6% chance as is. And any team landing him would want Pettersson for him and fuck that noise. Our first and something like Horvat, probably but that wouldn't be enough. Anybody but LA or Chicago, plz.

How bad was that Matt Duchene trade now that Ottawa is at the bottom of the league and the Avalanche own their pick? 

Is what I heard about Benning getting fired straight into the sun the second the season ends true?

As for the draft we have reached the point where the league should give the Sabres the first 5 picks as an act of mercy. We are not only the worst organization in all of hockey, we are the worst organization in all of pro sports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't ruin more prospects!

I have never liked Benning. However, if he's fired for the current state of the team, I would certainly hope it's not a move towards "WIN NOW" (but with what?) because people aren't going to the games as much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, El Dragon said:

Fucking Winnipeg and Nashville are gonna fall off enough to give the Blues the division aren’t they?

The Blues scare me way more than the Preds and they have a pretty forgiving schedule. The Jets can't be giving up 3 3rd period goals like today. They finally got out of their funk but have dropped two games they shouldn't have to the Isles and Stars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks

It's not even a between the legs goal. He literally has to take one foot off the ground and stand on one leg because it's in the way and he still makes this look so fucking casual.

Oilers lost, of course, but who gives a shit about that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, elizium said:

The Blues scare me way more than the Preds and they have a pretty forgiving schedule. The Jets can't be giving up 3 3rd period goals like today. They finally got out of their funk but have dropped two games they shouldn't have to the Isles and Stars.

The thing is I kinda don't want to win the Division because Dallas just owns St. Louis. Dallas is kinda our nightmare draw.

Also there is nothing more Bluesey then going on a miracle Division title run then losing round 1.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the Jets have won a game against the Stars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the past 21 games (which is roughly a quarter of a season) the Sabres have won ONCE in regulation. This is about as ridiculous as it gets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rather enjoyed the most recent Buffalo game. Dylan Larkin scored twice to become the first Red Wing in a decade - yes, you read that right - to reach 30 goals in a season. He's been great this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great game in Detroit tonight as the Wings win their 5th straight, over Boston, 6-3.  Detroit went up 2-0, gave up 3 straight, then scored 2 8 seconds apart to go ahead for good. Anthony Mantha got his first hat trick and five points total. First NHL goal for Taro Hirose. And a solid knockdown in a fight for Luke Witkowski. 

Apparently having nearly every guy over 25 out of the lineup is the key to success for Detroit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Great game in Detroit tonight as the Wings win their 5th straight, over Boston, 6-3.  Detroit went up 2-0, gave up 3 straight, then scored 2 8 seconds apart to go ahead for good. Anthony Mantha got his first hat trick and five points total. First NHL goal for Taro Hirose. And a solid knockdown in a fight for Luke Witkowski. 

Apparently having nearly every guy over 25 out of the lineup is the key to success for Detroit. 

Maybe they are motivated by the coache's extension? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be. All I know is that the young guys have stepped up and they're playing really well. Not sure I want another couple years of poor defense like we've seen under Blashill but also don't want some retread who buries the young guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tabe said:

Could be. All I know is that the young guys have stepped up and they're playing really well. Not sure I want another couple years of poor defense like we've seen under Blashill but also don't want some retread who buries the young guys. 

You'd almost get the idea that giving vets who are fucking dogshit a permanent seat in the press box and filling the lineup with young players is the path to success in the modern NHL. Wish someone would tell that to those two ridiculous clowns Jason Bottamoron and Phail Lousy. Peak Lousey last night: when asked why he only played Alex Nylander 6 minutes last night he basically said it was because his linemates looked off so he didn't use the line, because clearly adjusting lines in game is not possible in the sport of hockey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sabremike said:

You'd almost get the idea that giving vets who are fucking dogshit a permanent seat in the press box and filling the lineup with young players is the path to success in the modern NHL. Wish someone would tell that to those two ridiculous clowns Jason Bottamoron and Phail Lousy. Peak Lousey last night: when asked why he only played Alex Nylander 6 minutes last night he basically said it was because his linemates looked off so he didn't use the line, because clearly adjusting lines in game is not possible in the sport of hockey.

Exxxactly.  At least Blashill had buried Justin Abdelkader down to about 8 minutes a night before Abdelkader got hurt and was finished for the year.  Abdelkader should send half of his ridiculous contract to Pavel Datsyuk.  Pavel liked him so Abby stayed on his line and could deflect in 15-20 passes a year and got a fat contract out of it.

Seriously, though, the guys sitting down for Detroit are all these guys that can't freaking move or have been terrible.  Mike Green (turnover machine), Trevor Daley (soft as a pillow, terrible defensively), Jonathan Ericsson (actually got benched for being terrible earlier this year and can't skate to save his life), Thomas Vanek (slower than me on skates), Frans Nielsen (can't skate but sure can try miracle passes through 7 sticks that somehow never get through), and so on.  It also helped that Zetterberg - who could still play but had become even more slow somehow - retired.  That created a big opening for Dylan Larkin to take over and assume his role as alpha dog.  It's his team now, which would not have happened with Z still around.

That said, Jeff Blashill is 135-190 as Wings coach.  Some of that is not his fault but...a lot of it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's actually remarkable that the Oilers season managed to stay somewhat interesting longer than the Blue Jays season despite hockey season having like a 5-month head start.

Why do I watch sports? 

I think I might actually struggle to find much enthusiasm for the playoffs this year if Tampa somehow fucks it up since seeing if they can cap off a fairly historical season is just about the only interesting thing for me, other than seeing if Toronto or a Mike Smith-backstopped Calgary shit the bed faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Red Wings win again, this time 4-1 at home over Pittsburgh. Is it possible to dominate when getting out shot 38-24?  Cuz that's what Detroit did. Tyler Bertuzzi had another 3-point, his fourth in a row. He's the first Red Wing to ever have four straight 3-point games. Amazing. First guy in the NHL to do it since 2005.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

End of an era for the Rangers as Glen Sather has stepped down as Team President.

He is transitioning into role of "Senior Adviser" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the race for lottery position, the Rangers should lose to Columbus as they are trying like hell to secure that wild card spot in the east. Then Detroit and Buffalo play Saturday and the beautiful thing is someone will have to win that game, and as long as the Rangers don’t get any crazy ideas and decide to compete with Pittsburgh Saturday they should leapfrog one of those teams. 

This what it’s come to boys. Kind of exciting.  In a way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...