DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 5: Till vs. Masvidal (3/16/2019) - London, England, United Kingdom (O2 Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Dx62bYBX0AAOaVw.jpg?1548607456

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 5: Till vs. Masvidal 
March 16, 2019
London, England, United Kingdom (O2 Arena)

Darren Till (171) vs. Jorge Masvidal (171) - Masvidal, KO (punch), R2 (3:05)
Leon Edwards (170) vs. Gunnar Nelson (170.5) - Edwards, DEC (split)
Volkan Oezdemir (205) vs. Dominick Reyes (206) - Reyes, DEC (split)
Nathaniel Wood (135.5) vs. José Alberto Quiñónez (135.5) - Wood, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:46)
Danny Roberts (170) vs. Cláudio Silva (170) - Silva, SUB (armbar), R3 (3:37)
Jack Marshman (188)* vs. John Phillips (185) - Marshman, DEC (split)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Arnold Allen (145) vs. Jordan Rinaldi (145) -  Allen, DEC (unanimous)
Marc Diakiese (155) vs. Joseph Duffy (155) - Diakiese, DEC (unanimous)
Nicolae Negumereanu (204) vs. Saparbek Safarov (205) - Safarov, DEC (unanimous)
Danny Henry (146) vs. Dan Ige (146) - Ige, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (1:17)
Molly McCann (126) vs. Priscila Cachoeira (125) - McCann, DEC
Mike Grundy (145)  vs. Nad Narimani (145.5) - Grundy, TKO (punches), R2 (4:42)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Dan Ige
Performance of the Night: Jorge Masvidal
Fight of the Night: Darren Till vs. Jorge Masvidal

Attendance: 16,602
Gate: $2.45 million

Cancelled Fights:
Alessio Di Chirico vs. Tom Breese - Injury to Di Chirico
Tom Breese vs. Cezar Ferreira - Injury to Ferreira (Knee)
Saparbek Safarov vs. Gökhan Saki - Injury to Saki
Tom Breese vs. Ian Heinisch - Breese Removed Due to Medical Concerns

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

26 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Molly McCann has another face growing out of her head but that's not going to stop her from cutting a babyface promo.

Yes. That eye's a right mess. Meatball wins.

Edited by The Natural

I get what Danny Roberts was trying to do but he was certainly pressing his luck following Silva down to the ground especially after he had already escaped five or six close submissions. You could see the outcome coming a mile away.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Jorge Masvidal spent the entirety of the lead up to this fight talking about being tired of the shenanigans.  I heard him say multiple times that he's not about the dumb shit...and Leon Edwards brought some dumb shit.   

16 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Jorge Masvidal spent the entirety of the lead up to this fight talking about being tired of the shenanigans.  I heard him say multiple times that he's not about the dumb shit...and Leon Edwards brought some dumb shit.   

*subject to change if said shenanigans happen after the biggest win of my fighting career

• Like 1

What actually happened there? I can kind of see why Masvidal started throwing because Edwards hands come up right before that but it seemed strange for things to kick off so quickly.

Admittedly I don't follow anything at all between fights. I come here for my mma news, primarily posted by elsalv and before that sprewell. I will rarely watch a countdown show when I've got an hour to kill and it's a card I'm looking forward to but aside from that, I don't really follow what happens between fights or around fight camps. Anyway, my belaboured point is that Masvidal made me a fan in his post-fight interview. He's a guy who has been on my radar since the Bodog/Sengoku days but have never really cared about him before. I don't know what it was about that post fight speech but it just came across as a classy, mma veteran who has paid his dues in the sport and is aiming for a title shot. Now, I really want to see him get there.

re : Till, I like the guy but I do think they pushed him up the card a little too quickly. I get that that's a hard point to argue when he did take wins from Cerrone and Thompson and has had two big shows sold around his name. However, it was pretty clear from his undercard performances that he was good but more importantly, he was going to be marketable so they gave him a big opportunity early. Not saying it would have made a big difference, but part of me would like to see the alternate timeline where he has a more standard progression to the ranked fights.

Edited by Setsuna

I am not sure if this was what sparked the fist fight but apparently during the media day for this card, Masvidal called Edwards "the other guy from England". Edwards called out the winner of the main event and especially been calling out Till the last couple times he (Edwards) fought for an all domestic main event one day in the UK but that went poof when Masvidal won. Naturally, he was gonna start shit with Masvidal.