DVDVR Message Board

WWE Best Of The Year

Greggulator

Moving away from a general WWE Best of, you could compile a "Year One of The Shield" comp, which I guess could be the last year if the Reigns babyface turn happens. Anyway, I assembled this list on 15th of October, I missed out a couple of matches through Cawthon's site not quite being updated fully but the fact that there has been even more to add to this in this past 2 months is so awesome. The Shield is the best stable in WWF/E history on a sheer match quality standpoint.

The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan, Ryback and Kane - WWE TLC 2012

The Shield vs. John Cena, Ryback and Sheamus - WWE Elimination Chamber 2013

The Shield vs. Randy Orton, Sheamus and The Big Show - Wrestlemania 29

The Shield vs. The Undertaker, Daniel Bryan and Kane - Raw 4/22/13

The Shield vs. John Cena, Daniel Bryan and Kane - Raw 4/29/13

Dean Ambrose vs. Kane - Smackdown 5/3/13

The Shield vs. John Cena, Daniel Bryan and Kane - 5/13/13

Dean Ambrose vs. Kofi Kingston - Extreme Rules 2013

Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan and Kane - Extreme Rules 2013

The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan, Kane and Kofi Kingston - Raw 5/20/13

Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan and Kane - Raw 5/27/13

Dean Ambrose vs. Randy Orton - Smackdown 5/31/13

The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan, Kane and Randy Orton - Raw 6/3/13

Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton - Raw 6/10/13

Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton and Daniel Bryan - Payback 2013

The Shield vs. Christian and The Usos - Smackdown 6/28/13

The Shield vs. Christian and The Usos - Raw 7/1/13

Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns vs. The Usos - Money in the Bank 2013

The Shield vs. Mark Henry and The Usos - Raw 7/29/13

The Shield vs. Mark and The Usos - Main Event 8/7/13

Dean Ambrose vs. Rob Van Dam - Summerslam 2013

The Shield vs. Kofi Kingston and The Usos - Main Event 8/21/13

The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan - Raw 8/26/13

Seth Rollins vs. Daniel Bryan - Smackdown 9/6/13

Dean Ambrose vs. Daniel Bryan - Raw 9/9/13

Dean Ambrose vs. Dolph Ziggler - Raw 9/16/13

Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan - Raw 9/16/13

The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan and The Usos - Smackdown 9/20/13

The Shield vs. 11 babyfaces - Raw 9/23/13

The Shield vs. Dolph Ziggler and The Usos - Raw 9/30/13

Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes and Goldust - Battleground 2013

The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes and Goldust - Raw 10/7/13

Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes and Goldust Raw 10/14/13

Yeah, there's a couple matches from 2012 but that doesn't distract from the point that the Shield, along with Bryan, The Rhodes, The Usos, Punk, Harper and Wyatt have made some awesome TV matches in the past year. If anyone has a good list of matches since 14/10, it'd be awesome and only strengthen the case that this run of matches needs a comp.

The nominees for WWE's Match of the Year Slammy Award this Monday

- The Undertaker vs CM Punk (WrestleMania 29)

- John Cena vs The Rock (WrestleMania 29)

- Triple H vs Brock Lesnar - Steel Cage Match (Extreme Rules)

- The Shield vs The Rhodes Brothers (Battleground)

Out of those, I'd probably go with Shield/Rhodes but I imagine one of the WM matches will take it.

That list is hilarious. Taker and HHH are the only ones for whom the nominated match is their best match of the year, and in Taker's case I think you can argue the tag match with Kane and Bryan vs the Shield was better than the Punk match.

Shield/Rhodes is the only match that deserves to be up there, and even for them, they've had such great years I'm not sure you can say that that was their best.

1. Punk vs. Lesnar (Summer Slam)

2. Del Rio vs. Ziggler (Payback)

3. Del Rio vs. Show - LMS (SD 1-11)

4. Bryan vs. Rollins (Raw 6-10)

5. Bryan vs. Cena (Summer Slam)

6. Bryan/Usos vs. Shield (SD 9-20)

7. Punk vs. Taker (Wrestlemania)

8. Hell No/Kofi vs. Shield (Raw 5-20)

9. Cena/Sheamus/Ryback vs. Shield (Elimination Chamber)

10. Bryan vs. Orton - No DQ (Raw 6-24)

11. Del Rio vs. Christian (Summer Slam)

12. Punk vs. Cena (Raw 2-25)

13. Usos vs. Rollins/Reigns (Money in the Bank, pre-show)

14. Orton vs. Christian (Raw 8-19)

15. Cody/Dustin vs. Rollins/Reigns (Battleground)

16. Bryan vs. Swagger/Cesaro/Ryback - Gauntlet (Raw 7-22)

17. Cesaro vs. Kofi (Main Event 5-1)

18. Del Rio vs. Big Show - LMS (Royal Rumble)

19. Orton vs. Big Show - Extreme Rules (Extreme Rules, the ppv)

20. Hell No/Orton vs. Shield (SD 6-14)

I was really hoping I would be able to make some serious changes to my list by the end of the year, but I don't think much would move beyond #17. I'd add Cena/Sandow for sure (probably in the 13-15 range), but maybe not anything else. The Survivor Series elimination match, Punk/Bryan vs. Harper/Rowan from Survivor Series, Shield vs. Cody/Dustin/Rey from Raw a couple weeks ago, Usos vs. Harper/Rowan from Raw last week, and the 4 way tag from TLC would be borderline candidates. None of those jump out as clearly better than the Cesaro/Bryan portion of the gauntlet match, though. I'll admit I haven't seen the big tag clusterfuck on SD several weeks back that got good reviews.

I come from the perspective of not having seen too many PPVs this year(just Elimination Chamber, 'Slam, and 'Series).  As it turned out, I saw three of my favorite matches of the year in a week's span(Lesnar-Punk, Bryan-Cena, and Cesaro-Zayn).

I'm going with Bryan-Cena as my favorite match of the year for specific reasons.  The match itself was strong, but the main factor was the simple fact that I was invested in the outcome AND the guy I was rooting for won.  I'm sure opinions on that match would have been a LOT different if Cena had won...I had trouble believing Bryan would actually win until it happened.  No matter how good the in-ring product is, it means the most when you're watching and really WANTING one side to win over the other...and then that side DOES win.

• Like 1

Please please please, can someone put together a 'best of WWE TV matches comp for this year? There's been so many great matches particularly the tags, and even just watching last night's RAW they are still churning them out. I would certainly buy such a comp and there must be others....

• Like 1

Please please please, can someone put together a 'best of WWE TV matches comp for this year? There's been so many great matches particularly the tags, and even just watching last night's RAW they are still churning them out. I would certainly buy such a comp and there must be others....

Agree.  Is Goodhelmet doing a set this year?

WWE is scary good right now.

We already know that over the next few weeks we're going to get:

Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes and Goldust vs. The Wyatt Family

The Shield vs. CM Punk, Big E Langston and John Cena

and the 

Bryan/Punk/Cena - Wyatt schmozz from the Troops show, plus whatever we get for Smackdown. 

A comp for this year, even if it just had tag and six man matches, would be a billion hours long.

I still think that for all the griping, the three hour Raws have a big part to do with this.

At the same time, I don't think we've gotten the same sort of quality from the C shows we had in, let's say 2010-2011, but I can't say that for certain because I haven't seen every 3MB match from this year or waht not. 

3-Hour Raws have a ton to do with the increased match quality, just because they give what used to 4 minute matches 12 minutes instead. 

I mean, a bad 3 hour RAW is a soul crushing experience, but the match quality is way up.

• Like 1

At the same time, I don't think we've gotten the same sort of quality from the C shows we had in, let's say 2010-2011, but I can't say that for certain because I haven't seen every 3MB match from this year or waht not.

Surely 2013 NXT is putting out better matches than 2010 NXT and Superstars?

Surely 2013 NXT is putting out better matches than 2010 NXT and Superstars?

I think the question is whether or not we'd count FCW which had its share of very good stuff in 2011-2012 at least.

I'd say 2013 is hands down the best year for WWE in terms of great matches on all the shows. Occasionally there's been a great run on Smackdown, but in comparison Raw has been poor (and vice versa). But this year, there's been great matches consistently across all four main shows, and whilst Superstars is nowhere near what it was, there's still been some fun output from that too.

I'd throw Paige vs. Natalya Neidhart from NXT to rep the Women's Division. And I feel like AJ had a match that everyone seemed to love the hell out of but I can't remember who it was with. Maybe Kaitlyn, when she won the title?

I'd put Sami vs. Neville a bit over the Cesaro bout as well.

Who would you guys consider to be this year's 'Smackdown Six?' Except, you know, The 3 Hour Raw Six? 

I'd throw Paige vs. Natalya Neidhart from NXT to rep the Women's Division. And I feel like AJ had a match that everyone seemed to love the hell out of but I can't remember who it was with. Maybe Kaitlyn, when she won the title?

I'd put Sami vs. Neville a bit over the Cesaro bout as well.

Who would you guys consider to be this year's 'Smackdown Six?' Except, you know, The 3 Hour Raw Six? 

The thing with the smackdown six is that they were basically in a 3 way tag team feud for a lengthy period of time. With this that's trickier. It just doesn't work that way. You can't just say Cody and Goldust and the Shield or whatever. You have the Usos in the mix with a ton of great matches. You have Team Hell No. You have Cena or Punk as the other guy in six-man tags. You have the Real Americans getting cycled in. You have the Wyatts, especially in that huge twelve man tag. It's basically everyone with maybe the Shield being the MVP just from the fact they had 1-2 good matches a week every week of the year. 

Really, who stands out more are Tons of Funk or the PtPs or 3MB who just weren't in those matches and aren't in the giant mass of good tag wrestling, but maybe they were having good ones together on the C show that I didn't catch.

What this year feels like more than anything else is the Dangerous Alliance era of WCW where there were multiple good tag matches every single week.

3-Hour Raws have a ton to do with the increased match quality, just because they give what used to 4 minute matches 12 minutes instead. 

I mean, a bad 3 hour RAW is a soul crushing experience, but the match quality is way up.

I  agree with you but Smackdown still seems like the more wrestling heavy show even though nobody is exclusive to any show anymore.