DVDVR Message Board

SDL is The House That Randy Orton Built - 3/12/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Boy that last little promo rang QUITE  a few bells didn't it!  

My my my...

Also, say what you will about Randy, but that damned promo with AJ was extremely fire.  I hope this means he's actually motivated for this match. 

• Like 2

SDL is doing a pretty good job with their Mania builds in comparison to RAW.  Mainly all the Kofi and Vince stuff going on with New Day and Bryan etc.  and AJ/Orton has had a nice little build too.  Miz and Shane has been solid. 

It looks to me like Joe is just defending in a multi person match at Mania.   I'm not sure about Asuka, maybe a match with Fire and Desire but that puts her as a third wheel. 

• Like 1

See, that closing segment made me hate Vince the right way. I want to hate Vince for being a piece of shit wrestling character. I don't want to hate Ronda Rousey because she's a piece of shit human who cuts shooty promos.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

Man this gauntlet match next week might be incredible. This thing has been really good, almost note perfect so far. The B+ Player callback to Bryan himself, awesome.

Most people been focused on the shittiness of the women's title build but this Kofi story since being Ali's replacement has been wonderful. 

• Like 2

I missed the opening Shane segment.  Or did I?

I liked the New Day coming out to get revenge on the Bar and Rusev/Nak, needed JR losing his shit about them walkin' tall.

I did laugh at Corey's line about Rey outfit looking like he was trying to tan his cheeks.

You'd think they'd save the Mandy/Sonya team until after they had a run at Sasha/Bayley.

I'm they're going all shootyshootyshooty, but I did like the AJ/Orton mic work and I think it is the kind of match you want to put Orton in.  If he's motivated for a big show, he works well with a guy who dynamic offense.

I almost thought they were going to go with the Kofi angle that during all this that E and Xavier have been doing the bulk of the talking for Kofi, I was half expecting Vince to say he didn't think Kofi had it because he didn't show any initiative on his own to step up, but then he did when he basically opened the door to "Let me prove this to you" only for them to roll out the gauntlet match.

47 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Boy that last little promo rang QUITE  a few bells didn't it!  

My my my...

Also, say what you will about Randy, but that damned promo with AJ was extremely fire.  I hope this means he's actually motivated for this match. 

I thought AJ came off better than Orton. I was hoping AJ would throw in a line about Orton deserting his country. That would have been the icing on the cake.

23 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Man this gauntlet match next week might be incredible. This thing has been really good, almost note perfect so far. The B+ Player callback to Bryan himself, awesome.

They're going for the Bryan/Authority angle again with Kofi and Vince, but it feels more like the HHH/Booker T angle. I wouldn't have been surprised for Vince to utter that "Your kind doesn't deserve to hold the WWE title.". This angle doesn't make me hate the Mr. McMahon character more than I do, just Vince McMahon, out of touch promoter. 

Shane McMahon is a terrible heel. The Miz should have been the one to turn. Miz is a shit face. At least Shane will take another insanely stupid bump.

Rowan's Powerwolf shirt was awesome. The back is the best part. "Metal is religion"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Kofi angle is one of the best stories the WWE has ever told. I think everyone can relate to Kofi's Everyman. I think everyone knows what it's like to show up for work every day and to do a good job and to feel like it is never enough to impress the boss who gives breaks to everyone else. Like... it's literally my career arc right now. It's also such a great dynamic to go against Daniel Bryan, who had his own famous role in the arc but who is now so self-righteous that he doesn't recognize the situation at hand. 

The entire segment was incredible. Kofi's facial expression when Big E and Xavier were doing the talking said it all. It was really reminiscent of the famous angle where Eddie finally turned on Rey where he just stared blankly with his eyes. We saw with Eddie's eyes how he snapped. With Kofi, we see a guy who knows his shot is right there and he has zero idea why it isn't coming. 

Thinking about it... Kofi has ALWAYS been this good at communicating emotion. This doesn't happen without him doing such great work for years in a supporting player role. His gauntlet performance was the best single performance of his career, and everyone sort of all at once realized that Kofi has been really friggin' good for a really long time. 

I'm all in. This is so great. 

• Like 6

Loved the Styles/Orton segment, great stuff. I'm gonna enjoy Best in the World Shane O Mac just loves to deliver beatdowns.  Looking forward to both those matches the most. Rey's gear was weird considering he's had a bunch of really awesome ones in recent weeks. Sad that Asuka/Sonya was just a 2 minute throwaway match but guessing there will be another triple threat at WM. 8 man tag was fun while it lasted. Charlotte's "Never have I seen someone do so little but take so much credit" line was so true.

45 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

https://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/2019-03-12/article/samoa-joe-r-truth-preview

Did they mention on TV why this match didn't happen?

I think they mentioned on commentary that Truth was expecting his 1 on 1 shot but attributed it to 'card subject to change'.

• Like 2

Asuka/Sonya with the Mandy stuff was the weakest moment on SDL tonight, and it wasn't even bad.

Shane's opening was better than expected.

The 8-man tag was good, and I loved New Day's attack at the end.

Orton's and AJ's faceoff was good stuff. Orton is at least motivated for the non in ring stuff this time around.

Bryan/Rowan vs. Owen/Ali was pretty darn good.

I absolutely loved the ending segment. Everyone in it was on fire. That is the best Kofi has probably ever been in a segment. Loved Vince calling him out as being carried by E and Xavier. And the icing on the cake was of course the B+ player comment we know came from Bryan. That was awesome. The gauntlet next week will be interesting. I wonder if somehow Kofi manages only for Harper to show up as the last guy or if they screw him then.

It's nice to know Randy can show signs of life when he wants to. That was easily his best promo in years. I'm pretty sure when he stuttered its because AJ stung him good the lines about needing babysitter's to get where he is today.

I kinda wish much like the Women's tag titles, they only had one Women's champion for the WWE. The Smackdown Women's title always comes off like the WCW Television title in it's last years. With all the best competition over on RAW (even though Becky and Charlotte are still part of Smackdown), there really is no one for Asuka. With the right angle and build, I'd like to see her vs. Sonya. This wasn't it though.

Kofi sure is on an amazing streak that is so long over due for him. It should be interesting to note that Vince never said if he wins the gauntlet that he is getting a title match at Mania. I bet Vince does something like "CONGRATULATIONS PAL, YOU JUST WON YOURSELF A SPOT IN THE ANDRE THE GIANT MEMORIAL BATTLE ROYAL". 

• Like 1