Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
West Newbury Bad Boy

WrestleMania XXXV - April 7, 2019

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That would be the best possible finish to that match.

I'd be willing to bet money I don't have that someone will propose it to Vince. And unless Lesnar/Rollins catches fire in the next three weeks, it may be an even bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what goes on last?

Rollins v Lesnar has lost a heap of heat and momentum BUT it's been the plan for a while and Rollins won the Rumble.

Kofi v Bryan/Vince is probably the hottest story but also has the shortest build AND might not pay off at Mania.

Rousey v Charlotte v Lynch makes the most sense to me and would be making a heap of history but given the way they have bungled the story will they carry through?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

So what goes on last?

Rollins v Lesnar has lost a heap of heat and momentum BUT it's been the plan for a while and Rollins won the Rumble.

Kofi v Bryan/Vince is probably the hottest story but also has the shortest build AND might not pay off at Mania.

Rousey v Charlotte v Lynch makes the most sense to me and would be making a heap of history but given the way they have bungled the story will they carry through?

I still think the women will go on last. They could drop it this year but there's no guarantee they'll have another angle hot enough to do it in the near future and we all know Vince loves firsts. I would say they wouldn't put Lesnar on last again after last year but they totally would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

So what goes on last?

Rollins v Lesnar has lost a heap of heat and momentum BUT it's been the plan for a while and Rollins won the Rumble.

Kofi v Bryan/Vince is probably the hottest story but also has the shortest build AND might not pay off at Mania.

Rousey v Charlotte v Lynch makes the most sense to me and would be making a heap of history but given the way they have bungled the story will they carry through?

Huh? It was never the plan. The plan was always for Rousey to main event with Charlotte. The only thing that has changed is the addition of Becky.

Honestly with Kofi/Bryan I'm just hoping they get a spot within the first 2-3 hours so their match can get good heat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm torn as to what I want to go on last. The women deserve it, but if Rollins-Lesnar closes I go to bed at a reasonable hour.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Huh? It was never the plan. The plan was always for Rousey to main event with Charlotte. The only thing that has changed is the addition of Becky.

Actually that wasn't always the plan. The original plan was Rousey/Natalya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Casey said:

Actually that wasn't always the plan. The original plan was Rousey/Natalya.

That was suspicion/rumor for Evolution. For Wrestlemania the rumor was always Charlotte/Rousey until Becky's face was broken cancelling the SS match with Rousey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That was suspicion/rumor for Evolution. For Wrestlemania the rumor was always Charlotte/Rousey until Becky's face was broken cancelling the SS match with Rousey.

This was from December:

Quote

“Rousey vs. Natalya was to be the women’s main event, but the two things that took that out of the picture were that (Becky) Lynch and Flair got hurt, and that Jim Neidhart died, and once Neidhart died, Vince didn’t want to turn Natalya heel on Rousey any time soon. Believe me, there were people pushing in the other direction and that it would be fine, and Rousey vs. Flair was for a long time expected to be the match and even the main event but things changed. Then Lynch got hot and pretty much everyone was on the same page for Rousey vs. Lynch at Mania and Rousey vs. Flair at Rumble, once Rousey beat (Nia) Jax. As of this week, Rousey vs. Lynch is the ‘Mania match.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nattie has never been good or hot enough to warrant that big a match or push. Unless Ronda herself was pushing for it I have trouble believing that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Huh? It was never the plan. The plan was always for Rousey to main event with Charlotte. The only thing that has changed is the addition of Becky.

Honestly with Kofi/Bryan I'm just hoping they get a spot within the first 2-3 hours so their match can get good heat.

Sorry, I meant Rollins dethroning Brock and being THE guy on Raw going forward has been the plan for a long time.

If they want to put an emphatic stamp on the end of Lesnar's reign then that's how to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Nattie has never been good or hot enough to warrant that big a match or push. Unless Ronda herself was pushing for it I have trouble believing that one.

They had a pretty great match on the Christmas 2018 episode of RAW that was called on the fly, so I think they could do really well at WrestleMania with something planned out. It definitely wouldn't have main evented (unless the program was as hot as Lynch/Rousey was at one time).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Sorry, I meant Rollins dethroning Brock and being THE guy on Raw going forward has been the plan for a long time.

If they want to put an emphatic stamp on the end of Lesnar's reign then that's how to do it.

Ah, my mistake then. Isn't Rollins being the guy is more because of Roman's leukemia?

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

They had a pretty great match on the Christmas 2018 episode of RAW that was called on the fly, so I think they could do really well at WrestleMania with something planned out. It definitely wouldn't have main evented (unless the program was as hot as Lynch/Rousey was at one time).

I quite enjoyed the Christmas match. I don't think Nattie is bad or anything just inconsistent. Beyond that it just seems off they would go with her for Rousey's big WM match when they have Charlotte and the other horsewomen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I could see it being the plan for a few months, when they were really in the thick of the Absolution/Natalya feud with Rousey saving her at multiple points. I still think when Paige left for Smackdown to be the GM, it should have been a slow burn reveal to Nattie being the new leader and then you have a program for Rousey if you wanted to keep her out of the title picture for a little bit so she's not just shoved into it automatically. But they went a different route with that. Then Summer 2018 hit, Charlotte returned from injury/surgery, and then Becky/Charlotte stuff kicked off and plans changed at least twice during the summer (once vs. Charlotte, the next vs. Becky) then sometime before the Rumble it changed against to a triple threat.

EDIT: Also I'm pretty sure Rollins was rumored to win the Royal Rumble long before Roman's announcement last year. They saw the writing on the wall pre-announcement for Reigns, audience reaction wise, and saw how well Rollins was being received by the fans. Now they have Rollins AND Reigns as hot faces, so... I don't want to see it, but I could easily imagine a scenario where Reigns ends the show as champion. But, bold prediction here - I don't think that turns out well for WWE or Reigns in the long run.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forget with so many rumours going around but was Rollins/Reigns on tap for Mania at some point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanna say Ambrose/Reigns was the plan before his announcement last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meltzer said - I think a little after Rumble - that the original plan was Reigns vs. Ambrose at Mania

This was obviously while Reigns was out but before he returned because it was someone just asking Dave "What was Reigns original Mania plan?"

So that also goes to Casey's point that Rollins had been the guy to face Brock before Reigns' announcement

It also makes sense because Ambrose was always supposed to be the one to turn to break up the Shield that time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's pretty much a lock that the women main event WM now. I saw multiple commercials for WM yesterday while watching You're the Worst and something else, I forget what, and all they're showing is the Ronda/Charlotte/Becky promo with the glowing ropes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I've ever seen a commercial for wrestling outside of the USA Network. But then again, I usually just watch DVR/OnDemand stuff, or stay on the news channels. That's interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big question in all that is how/when was Reigns going to drop the Universal title, pre-leukemia announcement? The only clear opening they would have had is Reigns didn't plan on going to Saudi Arabia last November anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The big question in all that is how/when was Reigns going to drop the Universal title, pre-leukemia announcement? The only clear opening they would have had is Reigns didn't plan on going to Saudi Arabia last November anyway.

Remember - that was back when they were in love with Braun so there was some version of gymnastics that involved Braun getting the title too.

It might have been on that 2nd Saudi show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that anybody cares, but the cruiserweight tournament is down to Nese and Alexander. Hoping they go with the fresh match, but Alexander is the top face on the brand so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're looking at possibly 17 matches now on the show - if each title get defended on the show

10 Title matches (Universal Title, WWE Title, IC Title, US Title, Raw Tag, SD Tag, Raw Womens, SD Womens, Womens Tag, Cruiserweight)

2 Battle Royals, HHH/Dave, AJ/Orton, Shane/Miz, Drew/Roman, Kurt's retirement match.

No plans for Cena or Strowman yet either

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

We're looking at possibly 17 matches now on the show - if each title get defended on the show

10 Title matches (Universal Title, WWE Title, IC Title, US Title, Raw Tag, SD Tag, Raw Womens, SD Womens, Womens Tag, Cruiserweight)

2 Battle Royals, HHH/Dave, AJ/Orton, Shane/Miz, Drew/Roman, Kurt's retirement match.

No plans for Cena or Strowman yet either

 

This is gross. WrestleMania 4 was only 16 matches.

Let's try to find some solutions...

  • No IC title match. Outside of Balor, Raw's midcard is pretty dismal. I don't need to see a clusterfuck with Lashley, Elias, and/or Corbin
  • The Usos don't seem to be rushing toward any fresh matches, so no need to defend those belts
  • The Revival aren't exactly setting the world on fire and being filler on a stadium show won't change that

Put all the guys involved with those belts in one of the battle royals. That helps make the card leaner. Of course there are guys in all those situations they probably want to keep happy.

Throw Strowman in the Andre match. Have whatever he does with the Weekend Update guys happen there. 

US title on the pre-show unless Cena's challenging for it.

Unfortunately, they seem determined to do something with the women's tag belts so there's no getting around that. Hopefully it's a pre-show match. By next year I'm sure they won't even bother pretending those belts aren't on that level.

Those poor cruiserweights are going to hear the opening bell for their match some time around noon...

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 matches and they still will run short on time causing a couple of matches to get clipped. So if Asuka has a 3 minute entrance and a 30 second match, we'll know why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...