DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXV - April 7, 2019

I remember Bret Hart sometimes doing the Russian Legsweep into the pin. Right to single out Bret's Piledriver. The amount of moves Bret executed better than anybody else.

I was going to go back and edit my post to include Bret's piledriver. I really can't think of one move he didn't make look great. Thanks to Gorilla Monsoon's commentary, I'm a stickler for execution. Lousy execution can take me right out of a match, like a lot of the classic Cena matches that have gotten rave reviews here. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

I remember bringing up Bret's suplexes to my trainer (during my 4 week pro-wrestling vocation) and the fact he'd furiously hit the mat with his unoccupied arm to really magnify the effects of the move.

Bret's turnbuckle bumps always looked incredible too.

Fuck it, gonna go ahead and fire up the network and watch some Bret today. No-one better. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I remember bringing up Bret's suplexes to my trainer (during my 4 week pro-wrestling vocation) and the fact he'd furiously hit the mat with his unoccupied arm to really magnify the effects of the move.

Bret's turnbuckle bumps always looked incredible too.

Fuck it, gonna go ahead and fire up the network and watch some Bret today. No-one better. 

I'm going to fire up Bret Hart: The Best There Is, Was and Ever Will Be DVD.

• Like 4

I just realized that outside of Asuka, who I’m pretty sure still exists, every singles champion going into this show is a heel. It’ll be interesting to see how they space out conquering heroes going over or if heels will run the table until the main event so it gets that extra pop. Pretty sure Murphy and Joe are retaining but the rest are harder to call.

Also what if the show ends with Charlotte as champion? That’d be some real Vince shit.

3 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Also what if the show ends with Charlotte as champion? That’d be some real Vince shit.

I'm already calling a spot where Becky has Ronda in the DisarmHer, and Charlotte hits the Natural Selection out of fucking nowhere for a 2.9 - and 75000 people in attendance have a collective heart attack. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

It hasn't aged very well, but at the time, I thought ending WrestleMania 16 with Triple H as champion was pretty cool and I was a big fan of Triple H at the time. Just seemed to go against the WM grain. 

It worked for them iirc, with a huge buyrate the next month for Rock winning the belt.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:17 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think Terry Taylor is above what Corbin is, but Taylor was also a completely different kind of wrestler. The best comparison I could think of is Brian Adams during his Demolition Crush run. Corbin probably should have been in NXT about a year longer than he was. He can be salvaged, but he's been badly overexposed.

Baron is a perfectly cromulant wrestler, there's just nothing he excels at in any specific area. He really needed to disappear for a few months after he was scapegoated for all the woes of Raw and had his ass kicked on PPV and the following Raw by Braun and friends. Let people forget about the insane amount of TV time we were all subjected to and then try something new

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
On 3/21/2019 at 2:20 PM, Goodear said:

The Russian Legsweep I would give to Brad Armstrong because I'm a mark for floatovers.

Brad Armstrong is literally the only person that can use the Russian Legsweep for his finish and I'll totally buy it. His was that good.

Carrying the Bret Hart love in, Bret was the master of the flash pin countering Roddy Piper's Sleeper at WrestleMania VIII and using the same to the Million Dollar Dream by Steve Austin at Survivor Series 1996. There's the Victory Roll on Bam Bam Bigelow in the King of the Ring 1993 Finals, Diesel gets Small Packaged at Survivor Series 1995 and British Bulldog pinned with La Magistral at In Your House 5.

Yet Bret Hart could be caught by them. Think to the Sunset Flip counter by British Bulldog at SummerSlam 1992 and Bret Hart's Victory Roll attempt reversed by Owen Hart at WrestleMania X.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Bret was a great finish guy, period. KOTR 93 when he's told not to use the Sharpshooter? Comes up with three completely different, really exciting finishes and an explanation why the Sharpshooter is off the table to boot.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2019 at 7:23 PM, The Natural said:

I'm going to fire up Bret Hart: The Best There Is, Was and Ever Will Be DVD.

The main menu is one of the best video packages you'll ever see:

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Bret was so great at flash pins. I hate that everything is now you have to hit the finisher to win. Sting was another guy that was great at the flash pin. I always loved his "run to the corner and go to the top rope and hit a cross body for the pin". If Rollins beat Lesnar like that, I would be happy.

• Like 1

I love how this has basically turned into the Bret Hart appreciation thread since Wrestlemania doesn't look particularly interesting.

Charlotte being shoehorned into Ronda/Becky rather than getting Charlotte/Asuka II and Vince being put into Bryan/Kofi as a re-do of Bryan vs. The Authority has pretty much killed my interest in those matches. Brock/Rollins...I just don't care.

Back to Bret and Wrestlemania, I think Harts vs. the Nasties from WM7 is pretty underrated. The Nasties were dragged to perhaps their best match, certainly their best that wasn't a no DQ match. At least the Nasties title reign was only to transition the belts to LOD, which was a fun no DQ match at Summerslam '91.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Bret was a great finish guy, period. KOTR 93 when he's told not to use the Sharpshooter? Comes up with three completely different, really exciting finishes and an explanation why the Sharpshooter is off the table to boot.

Can you imagine what Bret and Arn could come up with for AEW?

• Like 3

Getting way off topic here, but that SummerSlam '91 tag match drive me insane as a ten year old. Why the fuck did Animal wait to be tagged while Hawk was getting beat up. I think they even did a "ref misses the tag" spot. It's no dq!

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I love how this has basically turned into the Bret Hart appreciation thread since Wrestlemania doesn't look particularly interesting.

Charlotte being shoehorned into Ronda/Becky rather than getting Charlotte/Asuka II and Vince being put into Bryan/Kofi as a re-do of Bryan vs. The Authority has pretty much killed my interest in those matches. Brock/Rollins...I just don't care.

Back to Bret and Wrestlemania, I think Harts vs. the Nasties from WM7 is pretty underrated. The Nasties were dragged to perhaps their best match, certainly their best that wasn't a no DQ match. At least the Nasties title reign was only to transition the belts to LOD, which was a fun no DQ match at Summerslam '91.

There's a pretty decent chance they''ll do another Asuka/Charlotte PPV match post-Mania. They already had that SDL match on the TLC go-home, too.

22 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It worked for them iirc, with a huge buyrate the next month for Rock winning the belt.

Well Stone Cold Steve Austin was also heavily advertised to return at that show and make an appearance.

On 3/24/2019 at 1:11 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Shawn had more high profile matches at WrestleMania as the years went on but I'd take Bret's top 3 over anyone.    Bret vs. Austin at WM13,  Bret vs. Piper at WM VIII and Bret vs. Owen at WMX.  

Bret could have had a Shawn Michaels like late career re-birth if not for Goldberg and a sloppy kick. Fuck Goldberg. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Bret could have had a Shawn Michaels like late career re-birth if not for Goldberg and a sloppy kick.

Yes and for me one of Shawn's best WM matches is actually a Rockers match vs. Twin Towers. 

ycgivwa3n6xz.gif

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 2