DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXV - April 7, 2019

On 3/30/2019 at 3:31 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Lacey Evans is going to be another push I'd rather not see as there are so many women who are just as marketable but better in the ring.  Vince is looking at this like it's the 90s and Baywatch is still on the air. Who cares if the people can act right?  Wrong because diversity can sell too,  time to start giving other females a chance.  Take a performer like Ember Moon.  She was getting GREAT reactions before she went down with injury. Don't believe me?  Watch the Evolution PPV again. She's one of the more over stars on the show. She has a unique look and can wrestle her butt off. She can probably push some interesting merch to females who may look like her or think she's cool or kids and dudes who thinks she's cool.  I have no idea how Vince is still one of the only promoters stuck 30 years behind the times. 

I'm not getting the Lacey push either. While she may arguably look better in the ring than Carmella or Alexa, at no point has any audience really connected with her like they have the other girls. Full Sail never quite warmed up to her and she never had a career defining match or anything. The little walk out segments aren't getting reactions with the live crowds on the main roster and I'm willing to bet when she finally gets in the ring the crowds still wont be invested.

I feel like Embers time is coming. I agree too that she got a great reaction at Evolution and usually when there are battle royal/royal rumble matches she gets noticeably warm reactions. Her issue is she doesn't consistently draw that heat with live crowds and her matches have been fairly short and forgettable since coming to the main roster. Her character isnt that hard to figure out for me. She's a warrior. Battle hardened through the "flames". There are animal skins, warpaint, and she is a beast in the ring. The same mysticism that powers Asuka's character, but not as convincing. I just hate her in interviews and segments when she loses that edge by trying to sound like the girl next door. That's where the disconnect is for me.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rick said:

someone's remade D-Brine's ''Monster'' video for Kofi and it's gold. 

And it's already been yanked (Which I fully expect to happen when McGee/Hart gets uploaded)

From today's WON update

So yet another WrestleMania update. It will not be (unless things change tomorrow) The Revival vs. Aleister Black & Ricochet at WrestleMania. Right now that match on Raw is designed to build to a different title defense and have a way to get a new program going. The Revival's title defense was added to the show on Tuesday to replace the Smackdown women's title match. The Usos are defending the Smackdown tag titles in a multiple person match at Mania. We don't know who the teams will be, but do know that in an internal lineup before the changes that were made this past Tuesday, it was a four-team match with Usos, Black & Ricochet, Big E & Xavier Woods and Sheamus & Cesaro. However, on house shows this weekend, which one would think would be getting guys comfortable, you had Rusev & Nakamura in with the Usos and Bar. Rusev & Nakamura haven't been announced for the Battle Royal, nor have Black & Ricochet. With Black & Ricochet having two non-title wins over The Revival, they would make the most sense for Sunday, except we're told that is not happening now.

The endless barrage of dumbass walk out segments are creative's fault. The dance break bullshit (or first real sign of any so-called audience connection) occurred after Carmella's title reign had already ended. As long as the whimsical old bigot is still drawing breath, at least one show's women's division is going to be dominated by some undeserving flavor of the month. Even if there are disparate elements to her character, I'd much rather see Ember have a prolonged reign than Mandy Rose or Alexa for the umpteenth time. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So yet another WrestleMania update. It will not be (unless things change tomorrow) The Revival vs. Aleister Black & Ricochet at WrestleMania. Right now that match on Raw is designed to build to a different title defense and have a way to get a new program going.

Hawkins/Ryder title shot confirmed!

Do most people around here watch live? I work weekends and late nights, so I'm usually watching in the a.m. on Monday or I'll wait until Tuesday morning when my weekend starts. I'll end up fast forwarding through about 40% of it, easily.

4 hours ago, quackhell said:

It will be very interesting to see if that Last Week Tonight segment gains any traction with fans and we see some signs and hear some chants calling Vince out on the independent contractor bullshit.

I don't think enough people care honestly.

Anyway I'm hoping the Andrade/Rey match announcement is a screener for Andrade (and a few other guys like Ali, KO and Zayn) to be added to the US Title match at Mania, hopefully in the rumored ladder match.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

The endless barrage of dumbass walk out segments are creative's fault. The dance break bullshit (or first real sign of any so-called audience connection) occurred after Carmella's title reign had already ended. As long as the whimsical old bigot is still drawing breath, at least one show's women's division is going to be dominated by some undeserving flavor of the month.

Carmella was never blowing the roof off, but audiences have been responding to her long before the dance break bit she does now. Her association with Enzo and Cass got her over in NXT. When she got called up her angle with Nikki got some decent heat. The Elsworth angle was terrible but it got over. She and Alexa struggled to pull consistent reactions at times on the main roster, but both had been kind of slow cooked in NXT to give them something to work off of. Not the same for Lacey.

Lacey hasnt been involved in anything other than maybe a dozen televised matches and segments in NXT. Some of those were duds that fell flat trying to get over that shitty "womans right finish. She didnt have the time to get momentum or anything to really draw the crowd in. 

6 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Do most people around here watch live? I work weekends and late nights, so I'm usually watching in the a.m. on Monday or I'll wait until Tuesday morning when my weekend starts. I'll end up fast forwarding through about 40% of it, easily.

I would always watch live at a nearby bar (Jimmys Seafood which is one that wrestlers tend to go to when nearby)  It's generally a pretty damn great time though the past few years have been very tiresome.  I remember when Orton/Bray happened I damn near fell asleep and went home as it was going on.  And then I proceeded to fall asleep on the couch and groggily woke up to see 'Taker's post-match stuff.

Fast forward to last year when I was there live.  I had a shitton of coffee and was as amped up as one could get.  But a lot of us wanted to leave before Brock/Roman save for one friend who wanted to see it.  Sure enough when we left we were all zombies aimlessly trying to find a way back to the hotel.  It was a goddamn long show and I ended up having to watch some of the later stuff back because I was zoning out.

Basically what I'm getting at is I will not be doing any of that shit this year.  I'll see if any friends want to watch it at the house but we'll check out other shit in the meantime.  I'll be mainly fast forwarding to the good stuff and I'll spend the rest of the week catching up on whatever I skipped.

8 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

My guess is Elias takes a dig at Cena during his set which prompts Cena to come out, have an altercation, and then el kabong him.

You know, that would make sense considering Elias interrupted Cena last year (which Elias sorta referenced a few weeks back) before Taker came out.

So....it probably won't happen.

8 hours ago, Execproducer said:

I used up until this year. I'll get to watching some matches eventually, but the overbooking of the women's triple threat and Vince's involvement in Kofi/Bryan have killed my interest in both. Going to three shows in two days, plus watching Takeover at home will be more than enough wrestling for me this weekend.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I used up until this year. I'll get to watching some matches eventually, but the overbooking of the women's triple threat and Vince's involvement in Kofi/Bryan have killed my interest in both. Going to three shows in two days, plus watching Takeover at home will be more than enough wrestling for me this weekend.

I'm actually debating skipping seeing this live as well. I'm beyond pumped about the final four, and the length of this show combined with other stuff that is watched throughout the weekend usually makes me want to give up wrestling for a couple of months.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, quackhell said:

It will be very interesting to see if that Last Week Tonight segment gains any traction with fans and we see some signs and hear some chants calling Vince out on the independent contractor bullshit.

Wait you mean they need a show on HBO to make dumbass CM PUNK chants on the show?  The same fans who needed beach balls to enjoy themselves in the last main event?

• Haha 1

Going off the WON update from last night

As of yesterday the plan was to announce on Raw the tag line "Winner Take All" for the main event and to announce the stipulations of the match. Earlier this week the working idea was that if Rousey loses the fall, whoever beats her gets the Raw title and if Flair loses the fall, whoever beats her gets the Smackdown title.  If Lynch loses the fall, no titles change hands. 

Of course that is the opposite of "Winner Takes All" means but whatever

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, quackhell said:

Dpz8-SDX4-AYj-Ai-1.jpg

Not bloody likely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm also contemplating not seeing this live. My wife is changing nursing schedules so it will be our last weekend off for awhile, so I'd rather spend time with her than watch whatever this shit show is going to be.

• Like 2