DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXV - April 7, 2019

24 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

I could see the 4 of them out there, then the entire division to celebrate, then the woman responsible for equal rights for women in sports and all aspects of life, Stephanie, getting her close up while ugly crying to end the show.  

After that moment, maybe all the other non-wrestling marks will start taking notice of women's sports.

Looks like they doing more Worlds Collide Axxess tapings for the Network.  Instead of a tournament, looks like they're doing a NXT alumni vs NXT/NXT UK theme.  Some pretty hot match ups too:

Edited by nofuture
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

I highly doubt that happens.

"The NXT Four Horsewomen single (quadruple?) handedly brought about the Women's Revolution and Evolution after receiving the blessing of the visionary Stephanie McMahon Levesque who was responsible for the entire idea of pushing Women's Sports Entertaining as equal in the United States World through the progressive tendencies of the WWE"

Of course that ending is on the table.

Edited by Raziel

BTW - for the record - per the newest WON

The super tentative plan for next year's Mania is either

A) Rousey vs. Becky

or

B) Becky vs. Charlotte (if Rousey doesn't agree to return)

The plan is also to come out of this match with a clear direction for next year’s WrestleMania, whether that means Rousey returns for a singles match with Lynch, or Flair vs. Lynch. Granted this 2019-20 Vince McMahon, meaning it’ll probably change five times or more during the year, especially since all of the top three matches this year were determined by fans and circumstances and were change of the long-term ideas.

All I'm hoping for the triple threat aside from what's been discussed already is that after this Becky and Charlotte stay away from each other for quite awhile.  I love their feud and it's been full of great matches/moments.  But they need to cool off for awhile and let them focus on different stuff going on.  They can always come back to it and there's no reason to have this go past Wrestlemania.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - for the record - per the newest WON

The super tentative plan for next year's Mania is either

A) Rousey vs. Becky

or

B) Becky vs. Charlotte (if Rousey doesn't agree to return)

That bodes ill for us getting the decisive finish we want this year.

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

Looks like they doing more Worlds Collide Axxess tapings for the Network.  Instead of a tournament, looks like they're doing a NXT alumni vs NXT/NXT UK theme.  Some pretty hot match ups too:

They really need to do a concept like this for King of the Ring and make it a PPV.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Do I really need to list all the things that have gotten rematches after decisive and/or satisfying finishes? Really? 

"Bodes ill for" is not the same as "totally precludes the possibility of". Certainly they could do a rematch even if this year's match has a conclusive finish. But the fact that they're planning a (partial) rematch increases the probability that they'll book a finish this year that leaves doubt. It's simple Bayesian reasoning.

Though I probably should have quoted Meltzer's part rather than Rippa's, as the troubling part was: "The plan is also to come out of this match with a clear direction for next year’s WrestleMania...". Maybe I'm misreading that, but I don't see how Becky clearly besting both Ronda and Charlotte constitutes "coming out of the match with a clear direction for next year". Doing something allegedly clever to protect one of the losers does.

And I have to ask: you've maintained for some time that it's obvious Becky's winning. Do you regard that as more obvious than Roman winning last year? If so, why?

• Thanks 1

Right after the paragraph I posted (for context)

As things stand, the idea seems to be that if Rousey or Flair lose, the person who beats them gets their title. It in theory is possible that Rousey or Flair end up with both belts, but the more likely scenario is Lynch can now win either the Raw or Smackdown belt. It is always possible that could change by Monday, but we’re told that is very unlikely as they do want each brand to have a separate champion. Obviously this decision comes down to whether this will be Rousey’s last match with the promotion for now. If Rousey finishes at Mania, the date that was the plan as her tentative final date for the last few months, then the scenario that makes the most sense would be Lynch over Rousey. If Rousey is staying longer, then Lynch can beat Flair and they could do Lynch vs. Rousey later, since it only makes sense for Rousey to lose once, in her final match for now, and for Lynch to be the one who beats her.

As every WrestleMania shows, Vince McMahon often changes his mind, based on his thoughts on crowd reactions or even if he thinks too many people have the outcome pegged. If he believes the social media outrage on Flair is real heat, he could switch to her winning. If Rousey is convinced to stay a little while longer just because he thinks people think he’s leaving, we’ve seen enough Brock Lesnar finishes to know what could happen. Still, Lynch has to be the favorite to win.

Becky beating Ronda is the easiest layup ever in terms of doing what's right for business. If they fuck this up then there's no hope for this company. I'm not sure they've had an easier layup lately.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Becky beating Ronda is the easiest layup ever in terms of doing what's right for business. If they fuck this up then there's no hope for this company. I'm not sure they've had an easier layup lately.

The Wyatt Family 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

WWE fucked the build to Rousey vs. Lynch by overbooking and adding Charlotte Flair to the mix so I wouldn't be surprised if the end result is also fucked up. 

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

"Bodes ill for" is not the same as "totally precludes the possibility of". Certainly they could do a rematch even if this year's match has a conclusive finish. But the fact that they're planning a (partial) rematch increases the probability that they'll book a finish this year that leaves doubt. It's simple Bayesian reasoning.

I didn't mean to imply I read that as "totally precludes the possibility of." I meant to imply that constant paranoia about WWE's motives in the face of contradictory evidence is tiring. 

There's plenty of evidence to suggest the contrary of what you believe is more likely. They do plenty of decisive Mania finishes while planning rematches. Heck, last year Brock put Roman down decisively and they immediately started building to a rematch in Saudi Arabia. Styles beat Nakamura decisively and they immediately started building to a rematch. Those are two examples from a year ago. If you go back further, Rock-Cena ended clean and they had a rematch planned. Batista-Hunter, same. Cena-JBL, same. Benoit triple threat, same. Cena-Batista, same. Taker-Edge, same. Taker-Batista, same. Cena-Michaels, same. Hunter-Cena, same (though the rematches were 3-ways, etc). And so on.

Bayes should consider all the evidence in the last 15 years that suggests they'll get it right at Mania even if they are planning a rematch. 

And I have to ask: you've maintained for some time that it's obvious Becky's winning. Do you regard that as more obvious than Roman winning last year? If so, why?

I don't recall what I thought of Roman-Lesnar last year. Pass. And at this point, I don't know what to make of Lesnar matches. I won't declare his death prematurely again. I've been burned too many times. 

But everything I've seen since the fall of last year suggests this company's sole priority on the women's side is getting Becky over. There have been some dumb storytelling missteps and McMahon heavy-handedness to get us here. But that suggests they're invested, not that they're trying to cut someone's legs out from under them. To them, stacking the odds and putting Vince and Steph and Hunter in your face -- those are their big guns. This might be different to people who are fans of Becky current character, because paranoia and bitterness and resentment have been key ingredients in the secret sauce the entire time. But from outside that bubble, it's obvious they see Becky is their main star right now. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I didn't mean to imply I read that as "totally precludes the possibility of." I meant to imply that constant paranoia about WWE's motives in the face of contradictory evidence is tiring. 

[...]

But everything I've seen since the fall of last year suggests this company's sole priority on the women's side is getting Becky over. There have been some dumb storytelling missteps and McMahon heavy-handedness to get us here. But that suggests they're invested, not that they're trying to cut someone's legs out from under them. 

I have no paranoia regarding WWE's motives, nor do I think for one second they're trying to cut Becky's legs out. (For the record, I've commented before that I think the idea that they were deliberately trying to sabotage Daniel Bryan's popularity a few years ago is ridiculous too.) My lack of certainty regarding the outcome of this year's main event is simply that from what I see, they're clearly stupid enough that they could blow this, no matter what their intentions are.

In an ass-backwards way, putting Lesnar over Reigns last year was almost brilliant booking. I no longer have confidence in any argument that starts with "WWE wouldn't be stupid enough to..." because, yeah, they might be stupid enough. That in turns creates suspense even in the case of what should by all logic be an obvious result. If I thought they did that deliberately, I'd be impressed.

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

In an ass-backwards way, putting Lesnar over Reigns last year was almost brilliant booking. I no longer have confidence in any argument that starts with "WWE wouldn't be stupid enough to..." because, yeah, they might be stupid enough.

I'll grant you this. They did a dumb dumb. 

I love how the narrative then became "Well obviously they'll crown Roman in Saudi Arabia!" We're funny like that.