DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXV - April 7, 2019

33 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

When was that? This is the show that back in the day hosted such epic confrontations as Koko B. Ware vs Butch Reed and The Hart Foundation vs The Bolsheviks. 

If it was 1984/5 Mid-South or even Florida, koko vs butch could have been a really good match. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

I think it's a good move putting the belt on Charlotte.  It's fucking all in now.  They are all fighting to be number 1 now.  This main even so overshadows whatever was going on with the SmackDown title.  It really made it look meaningless.  Now both shows are in the main even.  Both of their top wrestlers are trying to take out the outsider.  I think it's a great move.  Or you can have Asuka beat Mandy rose in 3 minutes in a match no one gives a shit about.    

But unless they make it a unification match then what they did is bury the rest of the women and didn't raise the stakes at all.  IF the SD! women's title isn't on the line then no stakes have been raised. As of right now,  it's only for the RAW title. 

• Like 7

Shower thought but let's say the match is for both titles, they wouldn't do a double tap-out finish would they? Becky has the disarmer and Charlotte has the figure-eight locked in on Ronda, Ronda taps out. Match ends. Everyone is confused. Ronda is a picture of burning anger as she leaves the ramp. Charlotte and Becky raise both belts. Sasha and Bayley follow. The nXt four raise all the gold. The internet explodes.

Y'know, if I pitched that idea to Vince I bet he'd go for it. It protects his biggest female star and creates two champions in the process.

? 

In all seriousness if Becky isn't raising the titles as the so called 'champ champ' to end the show the internet will melt.

• Like 1

Charlotte vs Asuka II at Mania would have been fine and would have been about 10th from the top. It’s better to not even book it at that point. 

Your mileage may vary on Charlotte but it’s idiotic booking to not have the daughter of Ric Flair all over media as the lead heel in your first ever women’s main event designed to cement your new top babyface (and her generational rival), especially when the actual biggest star is apparently leaving to unfortunately procreate with Travis Fucking Browne. 

This place is better than most but seeing Dave’s Twitter dealing with every ‘Charlotte is Roman Reigns’ take reminds that me there is literally zero rational discussion regarding the booking of women.

Anyway, the SD division will be fine. Wrestlemania isn’t a series finale.

• Like 3

I don't really believe that Charlotte brings them a single second more mainstream coverage than just having Ronda. I don't think having a third person in the match helps get Becky over to the casual audience that checks in for Mania, and in fact I think it's more likely to hurt it, especially if the match ends with both of them holding a title. 

Charlotte isn't Roman by any stretch, I just don't see a positive in having her in the match. I don't even really buy that'll it make the match better, given that Becky is more then capable of delivering in the ring, and Ronda's ppv track record is virtually spotless in terms of match quality. And the fact that Triple Threats aren't as good as one on one matches.

• Like 6

I know there's been talk of whoever wins the 3way main going on something like GMA or SportsCenter or whatever as some kind of decision maker for the winner.... but, if I'm GMA, I'm wanting all three competitors in the interview, so why wouldn't that be something to consider as well?

All that is valid, especially the Triple Threat remark. I think Charlotte is a better worker than the other two so I actually think this adds to it but it’s certainly muddled the story some.

I dunno...I mean, this has all been argued to death and their idea is to create two top stars that you move forward with. Maybe it doesn’t work but I think you’ll see Becky and Charlotte headline more PPVs moving forward and I think it’s actually decent money they end up main eventing NEXT year’s Mania too. A babyface needs a strong heel and Charlotte can be that for Becky moving forward.

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

It used to be that not everyone made it onto the Mania card. I mean, that really sucks, but that was the reality of it. Not everyone with a feud deserves a match on the show. In fact, when Mania was used to end the majority of feuds, the feuds that continued on that didn't make the Mania card could be given more focus the Raw the night after and start building towards a match at Backlash.

Someone mentioned participation trophies and I tend to agree. Trying to fit everyone into a match feels like very definition of a participation trophy.

I mean I see it in NXT. Not every feud or angle makes it onto TakeOver, or even onto weekly NXT. Some of the best guys don't work on TakeOver either, and yet those are still some of the hottest and most raved about shows WWE is doing as of late. 

But if the idea is to give Charlotte Flair the belt so she has a consolation prize and can hug it out with everyone if she loses on April 7, sorry but that's garbage. It also completely goes against everything about the Becky Lynch character that we've come to know and love.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Becky and/or Charlotte might be stars moving forward but creative sacrificed almost the entire women's division.  I don't know how many viable challengers they have to headline a PPV. 

They don't have any right now. Everyone in the women's division feels like filler for tag title matches.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They don't have any right now. Everyone in the women's division feels like filler for the tag titles.

I don't have faith in them booking the women in NXT well either.  

Why would WWE book Io or Kairi any better than they've booked Asuka?  They have a terrible track record with Japanese performers.

Bianca Belair?  Nah..  they'll have her do athletic feats or something. Shayna is probably the only one out of the current crop they'd do something with. 

I think Vince and others forgot one thing.  Your champion is only going to be as good as their challengers. 

• Like 1

1) Asuka heel turn on Becky. Instant main eventer.

2) Shayna comes up to main roster to avenge her friend. Already a heel badass. Instant main eventer.

3 and possibly 4) Boss and Hug explode. Sasha goes heel, injures Bayley. Gets title matches. Main eventer. Injured Bayley comes back months later to get revenge. Possible main eventer.

Whenever Rousey is around, she's main eventing. So add her, Becky and Charlotte, and we could have up to seven main event worthy women by the end of summer.

Would it be nice if Ruby Riott had a better spot on the card? Sure. Maybe Naomi will stop being overlooked for a few weeks? Sure. Not sure who else on the main roster is main event worthy right now. Alexa if she could shake the injury bug slots back in. Everyone else? Either not ready yet, or never going to main event anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dewar said:

we could have up to seven main event worthy women by the end of summer.

I'm not disagreeing with your logic but out of those seven,  Ronda is going to be part time and it could create another Lesnar situation and if you break up Sasha/Bayley it's going to sacrifice the women's tag titles..  Plus,  they have two women's titles to book unless they really do a unification bout.  

Sure,  I think Ruby could main event,  obviously Sasha and Bayley and I think Ember Moon is more than capable of main eventing too she was starting to get good reactions before the injury I just don't buy WWE investing in any of them.  

• Like 2

If Ronda sticks around, even in a Lesnar role... title unifcation makes sense considering the FOX deal. Unless they're going to make her exclusive to Smackdown, it's a way to get your biggest female star on network television instead of cable. I've heard people elsewhere argue that WWE will cease to view Smackdown as the B show once the FOX deal kicks in, but I really don't see that happening. But with Vince selling millions of dollars worth of WWE stock again today to fund the XFL, it's looking like he's going to take a backseat with WWE for a little while, so who really knows what'll happen.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Becky wins at WM, you know we're going to end up with a Becky/Nia program. WWE will never give up on Nia because she's not like most girls...most girls aren't The Rock's cousin.

Isn't Rock's daughter about to start training to be a wrestler? Take how they view Nia, and times it by a fucking 100. Simone Johnson versus Charlotte Flair will be headlining WrestleMania 40.

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Becky wins at WM, you know we're going to end up with a Becky/Nia program. WWE will never give up on Nia because she's not like most girls...most girls aren't The Rock's cousin.

Do you think it's The Rock connection or just that she's the one "monster" female they have?  I don't think the family connection hurts.  I'll say this,  for a while there I thought Nia Jax did have what it takes.  She had a couple matches with Sasha where she was pinballing and then a match with Ronda that was okay but these past few months Nia has been brutal.. just really bad.  She's regressed big time. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Do you think it's The Rock connection or just that she's the one "monster" female they have?  I don't think the family connection hurts.  I'll say this,  for a while there I thought Nia Jax did have what it takes.  She had a couple matches with Sasha where she was pinballing and then a match with Ronda that was okay but these past few months Nia has been brutal.. just really bad. 

I think the Rock connection is what's keeping Nia employed. She's the one monster female they have, but she doesn't know how to work like one. Shoot injuring her opponents isn't making Nia a monster. If she can't work like the monster she's supposed to be, there's no purpose to having her on the roster. If anything, I think her size is a detriment to her. It just seems like she doesn't care about ever getting any better.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Why do some of you keep saying that they're going to close the show with Becky, Charlotte, Bayley, and Sasha all in the ring together? Where is this coming from?

I think mostly just, it's the kind of thing they do.