DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXV - April 7, 2019

By multiple reports - it seems that it is a combination of things

a) to "up the stakes" in for the Mania Main Event

b) to shorten the card - the RAW Tag Titles and SDL Tag Title matches are also supposedly on the chopping block (along with no John Cena match)

I think it's a good move putting the belt on Charlotte.  It's fucking all in now.  They are all fighting to be number 1 now.  This main even so overshadows whatever was going on with the SmackDown title.  It really made it look meaningless.  Now both shows are in the main even.  Both of their top wrestlers are trying to take out the outsider.  I think it's a great move.  Or you can have Asuka beat Mandy rose in 3 minutes in a match no one gives a shit about.    

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

I think it's a good move putting the belt on Charlotte.  It's fucking all in now.  They are all fighting to be number 1 now.  This main even so overshadows whatever was going on with the SmackDown title.  It really made it look meaningless.  Now both shows are in the main even.  Both of their top wrestlers are trying to take out the outsider.  I think it's a great move.  Or you can have Asuka beat Mandy rose in 3 minutes in a match no one gives a shit about.    

Asuka vs Mandy wouldn’t have had much of a point, and the show is way too long as it is, but the way she got screwed out of a singles match at wrestlemania with no build is pretty crappy. Adding the Smackdown title to that match, if they even make it a unification match, is equally pointless. That title isn’t worth much and it does nothing for the main event that wasn’t already there. 

8 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Asuka vs Mandy wouldn’t have had much of a point, and the show is way too long as it is, but the way she got screwed out of a singles match at wrestlemania with no build is pretty crappy. Adding the Smackdown title to that match, if they even make it a unification match, is equally pointless. That title isn’t worth much and it does nothing for the main event that wasn’t already there. 

Sooooooo having the hottest act in the company win a match against both major champions doesn't add to the main event?  I think that's huge.  Becky is then the undeniable top dog.  It' genius.  Vince is a genius.  

Edited by Playa Shunna Ver 3.0

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Joe-Rey is the definition of a match that'll be better on a less bloated, non-stadium show. Probably Drew-Roman and AJ-Orton too.

3 Matches that will be potentially fantastic on Backlash next month.

I feel like at this point, Becky needs to be bringing something other than "the crowd" (though she could keep stating that's what she's bringing). They should probably put her career on the line or some such just to ramp up the stakes. I'd say her hair on the idea that it's more believable she might lose that but that'd probably be going too deep into potential Stone Cold territory.

8 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I feel like at this point, Becky needs to be bringing something other than "the crowd" (though she could keep stating that's what she's bringing). They should probably put her career on the line or some such just to ramp up the stakes. I'd say her hair on the idea that it's more believable she might lose that but that'd probably be going too deep into potential Stone Cold territory.

Yo...that's Hunter's gimmick brother.  

It used to be that not everyone made it onto the Mania card. I mean, that really sucks, but that was the reality of it. Not everyone with a feud deserves a match on the show. In fact, when Mania was used to end the majority of feuds, the feuds that continued on that didn't make the Mania card could be given more focus the Raw the night after and start building towards a match at Backlash.

Someone mentioned participation trophies and I tend to agree. Trying to fit everyone into a match feels like very definition of a participation trophy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

If the fans are going to shit on the main event because they are mad about Asuka and Fire and Desire losing a Mania spot then the company should probably forever give up making anyone happy. 

Ahh, because it's always the fans fault when WWE does something unncessary like putting Charlotte in the Becky/Ronda angle when she wasn't needed. Charlotte/Asuka II was right there. Asuka wants to avenge her loss and Charlotte wants the title. Simple, easy, non-convoluted. It's not the fans fault WWE can't handle multiple women's storylines. If you look at it, WWE really can't handle two separate rosters. They can't get one tag title storyline done, let alone two. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It used to be that not everyone made it onto the Mania card. I mean, that really sucks, but that was the reality of it. Not everyone with a feud deserves a match on the show. In fact, when Mania was used to end the majority of feuds, the feuds that continued on that didn't make the Mania card could be given more focus the Raw the night after and start building towards a match at Backlash.

Someone mentioned participation trophies and I tend to agree. Trying to fit everyone into a match feels like very definition of a participation trophy.

Yes, but when someone who just returned, like Kevin Owens is reduced to being in the background and will most likely end up in the battle royal, there is a problem. It's like everyone in the company has the attention span of 2 year old because Vince does.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes, but when someone who just returned, like Kevin Owens is reduced to being in the background and will most likely end up in the battle royal, there is a problem. It's like everyone in the company has the attention span of 2 year old because Vince does.

This is unfair. They played the hot hand with Kofi. It's not like they didn't have plans for Owens. 

18 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This is unfair. They played the hot hand with Kofi. It's not like they didn't have plans for Owens. 

Fair enough, but my problem is they don't have back-up plans. We just saw that with Roman. They spent so much time building him up to be the guy that when he had to step aside, they had to go to the hastily thrown together Seth/Dean program and all the Baron Corbin nonsense.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Fair enough, but my problem is they don't have back-up plans. We just saw that with Roman. They spent so much time building him up to be the guy that when he had to step aside, they had to go to the hastily thrown together Seth/Dean program and all the Baron Corbin nonsense.

I maintain that the problem here wasn't going all in on Roman. The problem is Brock holding the belt and never showing up leaves Raw with no center of gravity. In their mind, they don't need a plan B other than Brock because... those six matches a year are still special to some people... I guess...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It used to be that not everyone made it onto the Mania card.

When was that? This is the show that back in the day hosted such epic confrontations as Koko B. Ware vs Butch Reed and The Hart Foundation vs The Bolsheviks. 

25 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

When was that? This is the show that back in the day hosted such epic confrontations as Koko B. Ware vs Butch Reed and The Hart Foundation vs The Bolsheviks. 

I wouldn't knock the Hart Foundation squash at WM6. They challenged the winner of Demolition/Colassal Connection, then went out and squashed The Bolsheviks. It was perfect in building to Harts/Demolition at Summerslam.

33 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

If it was 1984/5 Mid-South or even Florida, koko vs butch could have been a really good match. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

But unless they make it a unification match then what they did is bury the rest of the women and didn't raise the stakes at all.  IF the SD! women's title isn't on the line then no stakes have been raised. As of right now,  it's only for the RAW title. 

• Like 7

Shower thought but let's say the match is for both titles, they wouldn't do a double tap-out finish would they? Becky has the disarmer and Charlotte has the figure-eight locked in on Ronda, Ronda taps out. Match ends. Everyone is confused. Ronda is a picture of burning anger as she leaves the ramp. Charlotte and Becky raise both belts. Sasha and Bayley follow. The nXt four raise all the gold. The internet explodes.

Y'know, if I pitched that idea to Vince I bet he'd go for it. It protects his biggest female star and creates two champions in the process.

? 

In all seriousness if Becky isn't raising the titles as the so called 'champ champ' to end the show the internet will melt.

• Like 1