DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXV - April 7, 2019

It's a cool story and the right move to make for the main event. The problem I have is wondering if it should be viewed as a reward now. If you think about the last few Manias, everyone is mentally exhausted by the time the main event comes around, and this year's show could be pushing 8 hours, which makes it even worse. I'd hope the crowd would still have some energy left by the time these 3 try to steal the show, but that's a daunting task to ask.

Edited by Chaos
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Maybe I'm just cynical, but unless I missed it, that WWE.com article says nothing about it closing the show. They've been calling it and Seth/Brock both the main event for weeks, they tend to call at least two and up to four matches main event each year, and Vince usually doesn't make up his mind until at least the week of the show, if not day of  

I mean, I expect it go on last, but I did before this as well. But I think this left them plenty of wiggle room.

Lots of people are going to interpret that as them closing the show.  If they put an article suggesting it's the main event and it's not last then fans will rightfully shit on it.  And if Seth/Brock or anything else goes on last instead you'll have a repeat of last year which I'm sure Brock doesn't want to be part of again.

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It's a cool story and the right move to make for the main event. The problem I have is wondering if it should be viewed as an award now. If you think about the last few Manias, everyone is mentally exhausted by the time the main event comes around, and this year's show could be pushing 8 hours, which makes it even worse. I'd hope the crowd would still have some energy left by the time these 3 try to steal the show, but that's a daunting task to ask.

Being there last year it seemed with where it was placed that the mixed tag with Ronda was the main event people actually cared about.  I believe it was near the halfway point and had the biggest reaction by far.  So you might have a point.  For a show this long it might be more worthwhile for the bigger match to go on at the halfway point to get the most reaction.  I would need to see what matches were in the middle for the past few Wrestlemanias to see if that theory holds up.

5 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

3 serious questions.

Do people still watch SportsCenter?

Do they still repeat SportsCenter for like 8 hours straight?

Do the people who watch SportsCenter even care that WWE is covered?

1. Yes.  It's still easily the highest rated sports recap show on TV.  SportsCenter is an institution.

2. Yes.  They move it around channels, but they generally tape one at 11PM ET, another at 6AM ET, and a new one at Noon.   Unless some news breaks, in which case they're on live. 

3. Yes. Older viewers (45+) who are purists will bemoan it, but they are a small percentage of the demo anyway.  Younger, more desirable viewers (Millenials, Gen-Z, post-Gen-Z) have made no such distinction about what is and isn't "sports", and the "kid watching highlights before school in the morning" is a much bigger chunk of the audience.  Which is why you'll also see eSports highlights/stories on occasionally. 

WWE has done *very* well for itself to get ESPN to buy into showing occasional highlights of theirs. ESPN is hungry for content, because frankly, they've got time to fill.  WWE is hungry for new eyes because frankly, they need them to sustain the product.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

3 serious questions.

Do people still watch SportsCenter?

Do they still repeat SportsCenter for like 8 hours straight?

Do the people who watch SportsCenter even care that WWE is covered?

My first college roommate was one of those "leave the tv on at all times" people (it was his tv so there was only so much I could protest) and would leave it tuned to ESPN pretty much all the time. As someone who doesn't care about sports I could stomach Sportscenter on in the background once, but on the average day it would get replayed 3 or so times and I'd have to hear his dumbass commentary on various stories. This was almost 20 years ago but I'm sure there are still people like him out there.

ESPN's on my work TV all the time, but without sound (Unless someone changes it). but it's somewhat better as it's SportsCenter, First Take, SportsCenter, crap, The Jump, and then more crap until SportsCenter (Yes, Around the Horn and PTI are crap), so it's not all SC all the time.

Just now, odessasteps said:

Or left trying to beat the traffic back to the city. 

Unless you leave at 8pm, you're not getting out of the parking lot until 1 am.

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Will they have the canned crowd noise ready when charlotte gets booed if she wins? 

She's there to get booed. They know that. She's a heel. 

Also, Becky's gonna win. 

But Raz is right. The crowd will be ready for a nap after 18 hours in stadium seating. 

I know Dolfan already called Charlotte hitting her finish on Becky when the disarmher is applied to Rousey. I'm just hoping they don't throw in a Becky stretcher job spot like they did with Bryan at Mania 30. Based on the dumb injury stuff they've done to sideline Becky during this build, that feels like exactly the sort of thing someone will be tempted to suggest. 

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

My first college roommate was one of those "leave the tv on at all times" people (it was his tv so there was only so much I could protest) and would leave it tuned to ESPN pretty much all the time. As someone who doesn't care about sports I could stomach Sportscenter on in the background once, but on the average day it would get replayed 3 or so times and I'd have to hear his dumbass commentary on various stories. This was almost 20 years ago but I'm sure there are still people like him out there.

I used to do that in high school 20 years ago. Now, I don't watch espn unless the Yankees are on Sunday Night Baseball, and it's torturous listening to their announcers.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

ESPN's on my work TV all the time, but without sound (Unless someone changes it). but it's somewhat better as it's SportsCenter, First Take, SportsCenter, crap, The Jump, and then more crap until SportsCenter (Yes, Around the Horn and PTI are crap), so it's not all SC all the time.

I'm okay with to calling them crap. But giving First Take it's name instead of calling it a steaming pile? Unacceptable.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Unless you leave at 8pm, you're not getting out of the parking lot until 1 am.

Have things gotten significantly worse in the last six years? We left 29 with the full crowd after the main event post match stuff, didn't take a half hour to be on the road.

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I count myself fortunate that ESPN doesn't pay much attention to the Jays. 

Listening to their pro-Boston bias for 4-5 hours during Yankees/Red Sox(because of course they go to extra innings on Sunday Night Baseball) makes me more homicidal than I already am.

46 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Have things gotten significantly worse in the last six years? We left 29 with the full crowd after the main event post match stuff, didn't take a half hour to be on the road.

You had to he near the gate,  cause it took us a good hour to hit the Turnpike.