DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXV - April 7, 2019

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

This is baseless speculation but I feel like it's likely that Corbin was told to stop talking shit in the ring - similar to how Harper isn't allowed to do "Yeah yeah yeah."

SMH. Stop talking shit in the ring. Only in WWE

• Like 1

I don't think they want everyone doing it. I mean, the reason Roman was getting over during the Shield's first run is he would talk mad shit and it made him look like more of a badass. And then, for whatever reason, he stopped doing it. Punk is the only other guy around that time that I can recall who would talk shit.

Maybe the agents don't want that happening in case it causes confusion when they're calling spots because cameras or mics may pick up the wrong stuff. Then again, that's nearly EVERY John Cena match where the mics pick up him calling spots.

I personally really like it if wrestlers banter in the ring and talk shit, but ONLY if they're good at it. Corbin is really good at it. So is Roman. So is Joe. Just let them all do their thing.

And yeah, Corbin's Deep Six and End of Days are awesome looking.

However, what isn't awesome looking are his punches. Someone send him to the Goldust and Lawler School of Worked Punches.

8 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

This is baseless speculation but I feel like it's likely that Corbin was told to stop talking shit in the ring - similar to how Harper isn't allowed to do "Yeah yeah yeah."

WHO THE HELL TOLD HARPER TO STOP DOING THAT AND WHY HAVE WE NOT FORMED A MOB TO HUNT THEM DOWN?????

• Like 3

I don't think they want everyone doing it. I mean, the reason Roman was getting over during the Shield's first run is he would talk mad shit and it made him look like more of a badass. And then, for whatever reason, he stopped doing it. Punk is the only other guy around that time that I can recall who would talk shit.

Maybe the agents don't want that happening in case it causes confusion when they're calling spots because cameras or mics may pick up the wrong stuff. Then again, that's nearly EVERY John Cena match where the mics pick up him calling spots.

I personally really like it if wrestlers banter in the ring and talk shit, but ONLY if they're good at it. Corbin is really good at it. So is Roman. So is Joe. Just let them all do their thing.

And yeah, Corbin's Deep Six and End of Days are awesome looking.

However, what isn't awesome looking are his punches. Someone send him to the Goldust and Lawler School of Worked Punches.

FWIW, Steve Austin was one of the biggest if not THE biggest star in the company, and his punches were potatoes that honestly looked like shit. But yeah, do this or bring Bobby Eaton in as a guest coach for punching.

I know they weren't great, but I don't mind Austin's or Rock's punches. They both basically have a signature wind up to their punches, but the Rock would end his in a slap. Hell, I don't even mind if you have more wrestlers doing slaps instead of punches.

Goldust or Lawler are still the best. If we all know the story about Lawler punching a string until the string didn't move to perfect his punches then why don't all wrestlers know this and do it and practice it?

Or there's Terry Funk where he's just actually punching you in the forehead.

There's a lot of moves I'd say nobody did better than Bret Hart: the Sharpshooter especially, the Hart Attack clothesline, the Russian Legsweep as three examples. I also liked how Bret let out a grunt of effort when he suplexed people. Bret's European uppercuts also need mentioning.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

There's a lot of moves I'd say nobody did better than Bret Hart: the Sharpshooter especially, the Hart Attack clothesline, the Russian Legsweep as three examples. I also liked how Bret let out a grunt of effort when he suplexed people. Bret's European uppercuts also need mentioning.

Bret's snap legdrop was awesome, too. I also loved his elbow drop with the point of the elbow. "Execellence of Execution" was the perfect tagline for him. Gorilla Monsoon was a genius for coming up with that.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 8

Bret's snap legdrop was awesome, too. I also loved his elbow drop with the point of the elbow. "Execellence of Execution" was the perfect tagline for him. Gorilla Monsoon was a genius for coming up with that.

Agree with all you say, friend.

• Thanks 1

Really, what's so bad about Baron Corbin? Fucking stud athlete, great heel.  Not bad in the ring, good on the mic.  Big fucking dude who can move.  His look sucks right now, but they can improve that.  Guy is going to be one of their lead heels for a while.  

He's a good athlete, but he's not a great athlete like the incomparable Ricochet. He's a big dude, but he's not a massive giant strong dude, like the Monster Braun Strowman. He's not bad in the ring, but he's not great in the ring like the outstanding Tomasso Ciampa. He's got some charisma, but he's not dripping in star power like Shinsuke Nakamura. You know what that makes him? It doesn't make him a star. It makes him the new Terry Taylor. Simple as.

Furthermore, his one unique selling point, the one thing he has that nobody else has, is a move he does where he slides out of the ring, and then slides back in again. It's like the Ambrose rebound lariat only you're even more likely to see it coming.

• Like 1

He's a good athlete, but he's not a great athlete like the incomparable Ricochet. He's a big dude, but he's not a massive giant strong dude, like the Monster Braun Strowman. He's not bad in the ring, but he's not great in the ring like the outstanding Tomasso Ciampa. He's got some charisma, but he's not dripping in star power like Shinsuke Nakamura. You know what that makes him? It doesn't make him a star. It makes him the new Terry Taylor. Simple as.

Furthermore, his one unique selling point, the one thing he has that nobody else has, is a move he does where he slides out of the ring, and then slides back in again. It's like the Ambrose rebound lariat only you're even more likely to see it coming.

I think Terry Taylor is above what Corbin is, but Taylor was also a completely different kind of wrestler. The best comparison I could think of is Brian Adams during his Demolition Crush run. Corbin probably should have been in NXT about a year longer than he was. He can be salvaged, but he's been badly overexposed.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

I was referencing the Heenan/ Taylor promo from the Mediocre Wrestlers thread a few months ago. Which I'm not reposting because it was only posted a few months ago.

While I hope its a pleasant surprise like Elimination Chamber was, I have to say that Sasha & Bayley/IIconics match on SDL didn't leave me feeling optimistic about the rumoured 4-way women's tag (with Nattie/Beth and Nia/Tamina) at Mania.

While I hope its a pleasant surprise like Elimination Chamber was, I have to say that Sasha & Bayley/IIconics match on SDL didn't leave me feeling optimistic about the rumoured 4-way women's tag (with Nattie/Beth and Nia/Tamina) at Mania.

A full half of those 8 women aren’t particularly good and Beth hasn’t wrestled in 7 years so it could be a rough one. Hoping for the best though cause you’re right, that Chamber match was rad.

• Like 3

The Russian Legsweep I would give to Brad Armstrong because I'm a mark for floatovers.

In replacement, let's look at his piledriver.

PT5YLV9.gif

• Like 3