DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXV - April 7, 2019

The problem with the Corbin/Angle blow-off is that the feud has barely existed in any real way for months. This iteration of the Corbin character had the perfect write-off with the match against Braun at TLC (I think?). Then they redid it the next night on Raw. That was ostensibly Angle's revenge. Then Corbin beat Angle clean. They were involved in a couple of multi-mans, but that was really just to build up Corbin for the Shield. Corbin, in general, needed a new direction after losing his authority, or probably just to be kept off TV for a good while.

For the record, I like Corbin more than I like Angle. But even I think Angle deserves better than this.

I have no issue with Corbin the person and unless proven wrong I haven't seen others think otherwise.  It does seem a lot more to be compared to other potential opponents he's the least interesting option even if it does make sense.  But I give him credit for doing his best considering the shit they've had him do.

But one other thing with Kurt is if he were to have a match with Cena or anybody else who's to say it would be good?  He's pretty much broken down and it's not fair to expect he'd have the classic match that people would hope for (haven't seen his match last night yet)  If he has a match with Corbin people will have lowered expectations.  So if it ends up being great then that'll be a pleasant surprise.  

On 3/15/2019 at 12:26 PM, brocklock said:

The thing that is amusing/horrifying is that this is the third WM in a row they have zero plans for Braun. I agree that it seems like he's completely screwed as a top act. He's basically Ryback when he was teaming with Curtis Axel now.

I think Wrestlemania and The Royal Rumble should be two night events, but they'd still find a way to make each night's show 6 hours long.

Braun SNL bit leads to heel sneak attack leads to Nicholas run in and kendo stick ball shots 

Edited by For Great Justice

I don't remember Angle interacting with Corbin much recently..  if this was always the plan then my question is why has their feud not been more pronounced?  

Also,  as pointed out a match with Cena does not have to be any good. It's spectacle and it's their careers coming full circle. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

47 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

No one cares if the match with Cena or anyone else is any good. Baron Corbin is just an awful character and no one wants to see him.

Well, then I guess I'll be that one guy that does.  But given that the show's 7 hours and they all aim to have that "Wrestlemania match/moment" there's no reason why they can't at least try to exceed expectations.

As for Baron I don't honestly care for his Authority getup when he's not in power anymore.  But I'm quite okay with his previous looks and wish he would go back to a more badass demeanor than the cocky SOB he tries to be.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I know I've said it before, but Corbin is completely competent but pretty damn dull. If they didn't have that show where he literally got an hour of screen time, I think people would accept him more.

He makes sense for Angle in general, but not for Kurt's "retirement" match. People just aren't going to accept that. Especially after they spent a week talking themselves into Cena or Joe.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

We could argue for three pages about whether or not X-Pac heat exists and whether he has it.

(Just to get to the end of that early: it exists and he has it).

I was about to say, he has X-Pac heat because WWE has spent months scapegoating the guy as being the reason for why Raw sucks. Now, everyone knows that isn't the case, but they do know he is at least a part of that.

I will say that I was probably the first on Corbin's bandwagon back in NXT, but he's taken a significant step back on the main roster. He sucks on the mic because on the main roster you're forced to talk for longer than you do in NXT and everything he's given is scripted on the main roster. For whatever reason, he doesn't talk shit during matches anymore, which was one of his positives in NXT because you seemingly couldn't get him to shut up. He was excellent at shit talking and that has been nearly shut down.

I personally never had a problem with his longer hair and I certainly don't care about what his body looks like. His body looks fine, but because he has some extra skin that will never go away without surgery, Vince and Dunn have stuck him in t-shirts and now he's stuck in what is maybe the worst ring gear in WWE.

Basically, Corbin is the epitome of the completely generic, boring, prototypical WWE wrestler. Nothing he does is particularly special, he's not Nia Jax bad, he's boring on the mic or stumbles over his lines, and he takes up entirely too much TV time.

The other problem is that what made him successful as a face and heel in NXT just doesn't work on the main roster. What really got him over was that for the time he was one of the more imposing figures in NXT. I loved fans counting how long his matches would last. You just can't do that shit on the main roster. He's not going to get squash matches and if he was going to get them, that only works if he's a face and he's long past the time where that would work. He worked as a heel in NXT because he shit talked all of the other indy talent and professed he was better than them because he didn't have to grind out gymnasiums and went from college football straight to NXT. That again just doesn't work on the main roster.

To make matters worse, Corbin has a history of being a miserable failure of a persona on the main roster. His stint on SDL had him win the MitB contract and lose to Cena in embarrassing fashion. That was the moment I think I really gave up on the guy and I don't think creative knew what to do with him. After that loss, he didn't do anything of importance until he was moved to Raw. On Raw, he was again straight up embarrassed by Finn Balor where Finn called him what he was, some geek who looked like a TGIFridays manager. How can you take anyone like that seriously? Since then, he's been 50/50 booked, lost his job as GM, got beaten by all the faces two nights in a row, and was made to look like an even bigger geek by HHH and the McMahons.

Fans want this guy to go away and I'll agree it's a shame. Corbin had a lot of potential, but he needed more seasoning in NXT and more importantly, he needed Vince and the rest of creative to be remotely competent when it came to booking him. Instead, he looks like huge dork that no one takes seriously and no one wants to see and he is unfortunately not bulletproof to bad booking like Braun or Finn or Becky or Bayley or others.

What Corbin needs more than anything else right now is an excursion and that's just not how WWE works. He needs to go back to NXT and/or Evolve and then come back in 6 to 12 months where he can be repackaged as something that isn't someone everyone abhors.

This is not the man Kurt Angle should be facing in his last match unless Corbin eats an AA by Cena on the way to the ring or gets squashed by Angle in 10 seconds and we wind up with Cena vs Angle instead. AND EVEN IF WE GET THAT, Corbin is killed even deader than he already is. It doesn't matter if they've had a storyline that goes back to last year. Few remember it because most want to forget it. The past year of WWE has been the biggest black hole of booking that I can ever recall. At least with WCW you could look at how much of a sinking ship it was, knowing it would be folding and watching to see how much of a mess it would become. With WWE, it isn't going anywhere and anyone with half a brain knows that there's no incentive to make it better. Hell, I don't even think Vince, Road Dogg, HHH, Dana Warrior, Bruce, or anyone else knows how to make it better short of hitting some kind of reset button. But again, WWE doesn't do reset buttons.

Corbin is just one in a very long line of squandered opportunities that have been permanently tarnished to varying degrees. I at least have faith Braun can bounce back because all you have to do is start having him destroy shit and book him in completely insane angles. You can't do that with Corbin or Mojo or Ryder or a bunch of others. They're just broken toys and it sucks because they all could be used far better than they currently are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Especially after they spent a week talking themselves into Cena or Joe.

With the help of tweets and instagram posts that hinted at different,  more appealing options.  This wasn't a case of fans batting around ideas and settling on something and then being unhappy their fantasy booking didn't come to fruition. WWE presented this as a big reveal and a mystery and then all week wrestlers were tweeting about it..   So of course when the show comes and Angle announces it's just Baron Corbin people are like what???

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

With the help of tweets and instagram posts that hinted at different,  more appealing options.  This wasn't a case of fans batting around ideas and settling on something and then being unhappy their fantasy booking didn't come to fruition. WWE presented this as a big reveal and a mystery and then all week wrestlers were tweeting about it..   So of course when the show comes and Angle announces it's just Baron Corbin people are like what???

WWE are the masters of the lesser gift swerve. It's like asking for a SNES for Christmas and you open up a big box and it's a...Sega CD...because you already have a Genesis.

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, then I guess I'll be that one guy that does.  But given that the show's 7 hours and they all aim to have that "Wrestlemania match/moment" there's no reason why they can't at least try to exceed expectations.

As for Baron I don't honestly care for his Authority getup when he's not in power anymore.  But I'm quite okay with his previous looks and wish he would go back to a more badass demeanor than the cocky SOB he tries to be.

Corbin should go back to his old look to bring back the jokes about his sad face stomach.

It's been a while. We were overdue.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

We're all just really mad that is wasn't the only acceptable mystery opponent/partner.

Savio Vega.

That match was the first and last time I marked for Savio.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

For the record, I genuinely feel bad for Baron Corbin.  Dude seems like a good guy, is apparently busting his ass, does everything they ask of him, and draws a ton of heel heat.  And he's roundly shit on by everyone. 

For everyone that complains that they don't build up feuds and that this Mania is the worst build up since whenever...  Here's a blow off of a feud that has *genuinely* been built for the last year, and now people want Cena in there because Corbin doesn't "deserve" it or some shit.  

I just feel the need to point this out.   

I actually like Corbin a decent bit and agree that the feud has been building for a bit now. Still, its not something that has ever really interested the audience as a feud, and for the retirement match of Kurt Angle its impossible to not see it as a disappointment with where Corbin is currently in how fans see him. Corbin has been overexposed, has a bad gimmick, and is in desperate need of some time away for reinvention. More to the point this is a match that really doesn't at all call for a story line as its its supposed to be about Angle going out on the big stage. Corbin getting this match was just a bad idea no matter how you look at it.

He's got a bad look, nothing compelling or interesting about his character and he's just competent in the ring. On the positive end, the Deep Six and his finish look great. Give him thumb tacks and he'd be youngish Abyss.

Edited by Ace
  • Like 2

The two times I thought WWE had something with Corbin. Why the background music in the first video? I don't know. WWE did what they do, and did nothing to follow up on Corbin eliminating Braun.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

My biggest issue with Corbin/Angle is it just happened, barely two months ago, and that was seemingly a clear blowoff to the long feud that they did have. In that match, Corbin kicked out of the Angle Slam, escaped the Ankle Lock, and went on to defeat Angle 100% clean without even using the End of Days, but the Deep Six which rarely gets the 3. And that match was 4 minutes.

In general I've always liked Corbin. Loved when he eliminated Braun in the Rumble linked above and also the massive pop when he initially cashed in MITB before losing.  I just wish they'd let Kurt continue his Farewell Tour with one last SDL match so he could wrestle Bryan just once.