DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXV - April 7, 2019

I forget which show it was but the package for a New Day- Uso's match got me to watch it where I was going to skip yet another New Days-Uso's match because I needed to get to sleep. "Nine years in the game!!....Zero Wrestlemanias!!" And then Big E's comeback. On the other hand, every time I see a package involving Shane I figure maybe I should watch. And I always regret it. 

6 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Getting away from matches, their HOF and tribute packages definitely still stir. 

I can see where you're coming from on just about everything you said, but the music they put in their tribute packages is fucking TERRIBLE. I'd rather follow Imagine Dragons around on tour than regularly listen to this. And it absolutely takes a whole lot away from the package, this being a great example of one that would have come off a million times better had they not felt the need to put some bullshit corny uplifting adult contemporary in the background.

• Like 1

The promo packages are generally terrible but they're a necessary evil for the endless hours of TV they have to fill and it makes sense to put them on the Network specials to recap everything since most people are not watching the TV. So it's a double edged sword and unfortunately we'll be stuck with them forever.

What I miss more than anything is just a good old fashioned interview with a wrestler cutting a promo into a microphone before they walk down the aisle. 

21 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

I can see where you're coming from on just about everything you said, but the music they put in their tribute packages is fucking TERRIBLE. I'd rather follow Imagine Dragons around on tour than regularly listen to this. And it absolutely takes a whole lot away from the package, this being a great example of one that would have come off a million times better had they not felt the need to put some bullshit corny uplifting adult contemporary in the background.

Fair. 

I kinda wish the WWE would take a cue from NJPW. The matches happen one right after the other. Save the big production videos for the most important matches towards the end of the show.

You know what else would save time? They could cut that 10 minute video they always do of the good will stuff. "Look at our Superstars as they visit the childrens hospital, meet local celebs ect during Wrestlemania week". I mean they have a youtube for that stuff and they put it up there anyway.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I kinda wish the WWE would take a cue from NJPW. The matches happen one right after the other. Save the big production videos for the most important matches towards the end of the show.

You know what else would save time? They could cut that 10 minute video they always do of the good will stuff. "Look at our Superstars as they visit the childrens hospital, meet local celebs ect during Wrestlemania week". I mean they have a youtube for that stuff and they put it up there anyway.

Like all these points though that charity video won't be going away.

So according to rumors there is the possibility of 17 matches at this years WM.    Seriously there wasn't 17 matches on RAW and Smackdown combined last week.  Could probably throw NXT in that week too.    Which I guess means the battle royal matches are gone.    Also unless there are going to be much shorter matches the pre show has to 3 hours now instead of two. 

the only people happy with this decision is the people selling energy drinks, coffee,  and Red Bull and vodka's at the stadium.  

9 hours ago, peachchaos said:

The promo packages are generally terrible but they're a necessary evil for the endless hours of TV they have to fill and it makes sense to put them on the Network specials to recap everything since most people are not watching the TV. So it's a double edged sword and unfortunately we'll be stuck with them forever.

Oh, they are in no way a necessary evil. There are two dozen wrestlers sitting on their asses in the locker room on weekly basis. They have plenty of ways to fill time without using obvious filler. And again: Why should this company *encourage* people not to watch their television shows?

5 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I think the most annoying part about this is how little effect it has. It's supposed to be good PR showing how great the company is, but their need to constantly put it in our faces just comes off as very self-congratulatory. 

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I have no problem with the packages. Just air them in the fucking pre-show. Maybe the actual main event package on the main show. Just speed this damn thing up.

They DO show them on the kickoff show - which is why them airing a 2nd time on the regular show is annoying for those of us who stupidly watch the kickoff show.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

They could also trim time by cutting the segment featuring the HoF inductees. We have a multi-hour long HoF show every year. Do we need to trot them all out again on the stage during the show to make the show run longer and take away time from matches?

31 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So according to rumors there is the possibility of 17 matches at this years WM.    Seriously there wasn't 17 matches on RAW and Smackdown combined last week.  Could probably throw NXT in that week too.    Which I guess means the battle royal matches are gone.

Actually - getting to 17 is including the Battle Royals

This is how you get to 17 (* indicates already announced)

1. Seth Rollins vs. Brock Lesnar: WWE Universal Championship Match*
  2. Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch vs. Ronda Rousey: WWE Raw Women's*
  3. Buddy Murphy vs. either Cedric Alexander or Tony Nese: WWE Cruiserweight Championship Match*
  4. Triple H vs. Batista*
  5. Kurt Angle vs. TBA*
  6. The Miz vs. Shane McMahon*
  7. AJ Styles vs. Randy Orton*
  8. Daniel Bryan vs. TBA: WWE Championship Match
  9. Asuka vs. TBA: WWE SmackDown Women's Championship Match
  10. Bayley and Sasha Banks vs. TBA: Women's Tag Team Championship Match
  11. The Revival vs. TBA: WWE Raw Tag Team Championship Match
  12. The Usos vs. TBA: WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship Match
  13. Samoa Joe vs. TBA: WWE United States Championship Match
  14. Bobby Lashley vs. TBA:  WWE Intercontinental Championship
  15. Roman Reigns vs. TBA : Single's Match
  16. Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
  17. WrestleMania Women's Battle Royal

FYI, 16 is the most number of WM matches and that was for WM 4, which might still be the worst ever.

16 or 17 is practically incomprehensible this year considering only a handful of matches have even been announced. It's just going to be a total rush job to the finish line.

You can compress it some before you even don’t have titles defended

Eliminating the Battle Royals puts it at 15

And then have Lashley face either Angle or Reigns and it’s 14

Of course that list doesn’t include: John Cena match (but he would most likely be in the US Title Mix)

So realistically you are looking at a 14 or 15 match show

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

They DO show them on the kickoff show - which is why them airing a 2nd time on the regular show is annoying for those of us who stupidly watch the kickoff show.

Kickoff matches are irrelevant as we were told at Survivor Series 2018 ;).

It's not even the number of matches itself that is the problem. I could do 17 matches in the right circumstances. But you know most of the matches are going to be wrestled in the same or similar way, and pretty much all of them are going to end up going longer than they need to. I mean, Hunter and Dave could put together a fun 10-12 minute brawl/garbage match, but you have to figure it's going twice that length. Angle could do a 10 minute greatest hits match, but it will probably go closer to 20. Shit like that makes the show feel even longer than it already is.

• Like 3