DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXV - April 7, 2019

Other issue with the three underdog babyfaces - Rollins, Becky and Kofi, some gotta not go over. 

I want Kofi to go over because I have no faith in this continuing in good taste. A few more months of this (rather than say Big E and Woods turning on him the next night), has Vince McMahon Tiki Torch Rally being rejected and re-added over and over again.

On the other hand, Kofi and Rollins getting beat really spoils the fun of the main event.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Just putting the fucking video packages all on the pre-show and leaving them off the main card would cut at least close to an hour. 

They generally do really good packages, but put them on the pre-show that theoretically is supposed to get people to subscribe to the Network (even though I bet 2/3's minimum of the viewership is on the network)

They should cut 99% of the packages from EVERY show. It doesn't matter how good the video packages are when they eat up 45 minutes of every RAW and PPV, 15 minutes of every NXT, and 20 minutes of every SDL. It's a hugely overlooked problem with The Product and the main reason so many shows are fast-forwardable to me. Not every single match/feud/angle/show warrants a five minute fucking video package.

If WWE is trying to cut time out of their shows, the matches should be their last stop. For all the complaining about entrances - the EXITS are far, far worse. At least two full minutes of music you've already heard playing after every single match, with every single big move from the match you just watched highlighted and presented in slow motion right up until the part where you can see that pro wrestling is cooperative. When the replays are finally over, make sure you cut to the celebration for another full minute too! And let's hope there isn't post-match attack, so that person's music can play for a minute while they pose too.

The constant replaying of everything makes nothing on WWE programming must-see. You'll just get to see it anyway, probably five more times with stupid filters and terrible music in the background.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

They should cut 99% of the packages from EVERY show. It doesn't matter how good the video packages are when they eat up 45 minutes of every RAW and PPV, 15 minutes of every NXT, and 20 minutes of every SDL. It's a hugely overlooked problem with The Product and the main reason so many shows are fast-forwardable to me. Not every single match/feud/angle/show warrants a five minute fucking video package.

For the last however-many years, a lot of these packages drop on the SmackDown prior to Mania and are available on Youtube for anyone who wants to see them. Just an absolutely time sink.

Last year, there was a 3:30+ video package for the Bliss-Jax match which went ten minutes. Just unacceptable. 

The video package for Styles-Nakamura was 3:46 and those guys barely had a feud. 

I don't mind after match replays, but oh holy fuck can the "moments ago" and "earlier tonight" replays die in a fire. I know I said this recently here anyway, but, motherfucker, I haven't switched over to Nitro in 19 years. 

Fuck I haven't even switched to Impact since... That first time they went head to head with Raw, actually. What was that, a decade ago?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Other issue with the three underdog babyfaces - Rollins, Becky and Kofi, some gotta not go over. 

Becky is not an underdog face. She is Austin. Even the injury will seemingly be healed by the time the match rolls around seeing that they had her walking on her power on SDL this week.

• Like 2

I'm going to want to throw something everytime I see a video package now. I never thought about them before, but yeah, they eat up way too much time. 

Also, all of the video packages fucking suck. What was the last good one? Daniel Bryan's Monster video? It's crazy to think that this is the same company that gave us that video, the Austin/Rock My Way video, the Miz Hate Me Now video, and they can't come remotely close to making a video package that is compelling or stirs any emotions. 

It's all just shit video packages set to shit music. This is another department that NXT just blows the main roster out of the water. The Executioner's Tax video for War Games immediately springs to mind. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm going to want to throw something everytime I see a video package now. I never thought about them before, but yeah, they eat up way too much time. 

Also, all of the video packages fucking suck. What was the last good one? Daniel Bryan's Monster video? It's crazy to think that this is the same company that gave us that video, the Austin/Rock My Way video, the Miz Hate Me Now video, and they can't come remotely close to making a video package that is compelling or stirs any emotions. 

It's all just shit video packages set to shit music. This is another department that NXT just blows the main roster out of the water. The Executioner's Tax video for War Games immediately springs to mind. 

One you didn't mention in that great list of video packages, The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels set to Placebo's cover of Running up that Hill.

49 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I have to disagree with all the hate for the video packages. They provide necessary context, and are a lot less painful to get through than the weekly shows.

That's kind of the entire issue - the weekly shows would be much less painful if they weren't 30% video package filler. The context is only necessary for people who don't watch the shows, and the company shouldn't encourage that. People will feel like they should watch the shows or they'll miss something important instead of knowing for a fact that every important segment will get replayed to death on literally every single show for at least a month.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's all just shit video packages set to shit music.

Even the good ones have garbage music. Imagine Dragons and Limp Bizkit are awful. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'd like to go back to this point for a moment. Sorry for blowing up your notifications so much in this thread, Craig. You bring up some interesting points.

I think they're just as capable as they've ever been at making great packages that stir emotion. I wouldn't compare everything against those all-time great packages that hold a special place in a lot of hearts, but there are plenty of examples since Mania 30 that got me excited for matches. Of course a lot of that is Roman or Dean stuff, and I know you've specifically not along for the ride on a lot of that Roman push. So I could see it not having the same effect on you. Which is what it is. If you're not emotionally invested to begin with, it probably won't stir you no matter what. That's fair.

Lot of history. Cheesy generic song to make everything a bit more dramatic. And Dean's promos tend to add a voice that elevates these sizzle reels. I think that's quality stuff that's about on par with what people imagine a WWE-quality video package should be. 

I'd argue that they're almost too good at the sizzle reels. Example:

Great video package. Gets you so hyped you almost forget the build was nothing. Their production so good it could polish any turd to a certain extent. 

Getting away from matches, their HOF and tribute packages definitely still stir. 

I think they've still got the goods with video package. But if you're a bit cold to a lot of the current product (and a lot of people are), they only go so far. 

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Even the good ones have garbage music. Imagine Dragons and Limp Bizkit are awful. 

The best we're going to get was the one Takeover that had "Ace of Spades" as its theme song. There was a ppv around 2005-ish that had Ozzy's "I Don't Wanna Stop" as its theme song. 

I marked the fuck out again when Brent Albright used "I Don't Wanna Stop" in ROH. 

Summerslam '98 made me eternally sick of "Highway to Hell".

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The best we're going to get was the one Takeover that had "Ace of Spades" as its theme song. 

That was London. I don't they used it in a promo package though. IIRC, there was a lame Struts song for the Revival-Enzo/Cass match. I don't think they used Ace of Spades for Joe-Balor. But I'm too lazy to log into the Network and find out for certain. 

Also, for anyone who doubts the Revival, their matches against Enzo/Cass in London and Toronto were pretty darn good. Dash and Dawson knew exactly what to do with all the crowd support Enzo and Cass had. 

Less video packages that are just recap clips of what happened the last month, more feud videos set to music, especially songs that'll stick with you like My Way, Running Up that Hill, Monster, etc. Those are always the best and can add a lot to a match.

In recent years, in addition to the Roman/Taker one linked above, I loved the Roman/HHH "Hail to the King" for 32.

• Like 1