DVDVR Message Board

Your Perfect Team of Avengers? Who and why?

OSJ

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

Okay, I'm not real high on parody characters, but I trust Hickman to bring the funny and not just the silly. I shall see if some of this stuff is on-line as it still has quite a ways to go in my head from "that's rather droll." to "I GOTTA HAVE THIS". Keep in mind that the only humor comic  that I made it a point to collect over the last forty years was Bob Burden's The Flaming Carrot...

Hickman's run is not funny. I mean it is at times, like anything else, but it's more epic than anything else. It's the biggest Avengers story ever told.

https://www.howtolovecomics.com/2015/04/06/jonathan-hickman-avengers-reading-guide/

That has the reading order.

I'm curious who you were thinking of now. Hembeck? 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 11:35 PM, Matt D said:

Iconic:

If I were writing the team:

Cap/Thor/Iron Man/America/Ms. Marvel/Kate Bishop/Kang

Isn't having a time traveler going to make story telling pretty rough?  

5 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Isn't having a time traveler going to make story telling pretty rough?  

Thanks for biting. I'm glad someone finally did.

Kang's the hook. That's your end first issue reveal. The premise is that there's something far worse than Kang destroying time and he and the Avengers have to work together in order to stop it. It's a big enough story that he's with them for a while, even as they have to deal with other threats that pop up along the way. You can play it so that he COULD solve things with time travel now and again, but he loves the sheer challenge of being able to fight alongside them (even if it means he lets people get hurt). That's why he started going back in time in the first place. Moreover, your third issue end reveal is that he secretly knows that one of the team is a traitor who causes birth to the very time monster they are trying to stop, but he doesn't know which one.

I don't know! 

Edited by Matt D

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

Hickman's run is not funny. I mean it is at times, like anything else, but it's more epic than anything else. It's the biggest Avengers story ever told.

https://www.howtolovecomics.com/2015/04/06/jonathan-hickman-avengers-reading-guide/

That has the reading order.

I'm curious who you were thinking of now. Hembeck? 

Huh? Hembeck? Nah, I'm a Bob Burden guy all the way. I'm really intrigued/scared by this massive Avengers storyline as I'm getting super-conflicting messages... On one hand, it's by far the largest Avengers story ever told. That doesn't  necessarily mean that it's good, and I'm having a great deal of trouble reconciling all these silly-ass parody characters featuring in it. Now I don't mind a bit of comic relief, as long as it isn't of the horribly racist, sexist stuff that we used to get shoved at us on a regular basis, but I'm really wondering how well anyone can write "Peter Porker" seriously...

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Spider-Ham and such aren't part of Hickman's Avengers to the best of my recollection.

I think he's leaning into a gag but if he reads the thing, I'm willing to humor him. The run is so good that it'll override that instinct.

Edited by Matt D

I'm prolly gonna lean hard Al Ewing, but what the fuck. Behold THE IMMORTAL AVENGERS

af23d89d5002b6800024dec49bcecaf5.jpg   Loki
After causing the Avengers to form more than once, Loki finally gets a chance to join the team. They're a cosmic level trickster by nature doing things behind the scenes to get the Avengers to succeed.

tumblr_pla2uiYnXg1qe27noo3_500.jpg    Puck

A man that's so badass, he's busted out of hell TWICE. Been there, done anything. He's your Luke Cage. Your Wolverine. Your hand-to-hand melee fighter. 

5948604-bm.jpg The Blue Marvel

Adam Brashear is useful enough for his genius. The fact that he's also a flying tank that's also an antimatter reactor also helps.

a3a4bf68818cab042bb24aef5fcef1f8.jpg   Spectrum

She's the team leader. She can turn herself into any sort of energy. 

Thing-Ultimate-Marvel-Comics-Fantastic-F The Thing

Tank. Pilot. Team's moral compass and morale officer

• Like 1

11 hours ago, supremebve said:

The problem with Beast is that he needs someone to keep him grounded so he doesn't do something crazy like bringing some Avengers from 50 years ago into the future to prove a point.  

Holy shit, is Beast the Marvel Universe’s Vince Russo?

Edited by JonnyLaw

I would dig a book with Ace's lineup.  Especially if it was written by Al Ewing.

For my lineup, the first rule is no dudes with their own book.  No Cap, Thor, Iron Man, etc.  Sorry, but those characters are played out and it makes writing them hard when you can't do much to shake up their status quo because it won't sync with what's going on in their own book.  Also, it makes slow-burn storytelling hard because the three=year plan the writer has in his head will be shot to hell when Marvel decides to book another company-wide crossover and reboot all the books with new #1's and drastic changes to the characters.

So my Avengers would be:

Hawkeye - fills the "veteran team leader" role nicely and you can actually do something with the character, unlike Cap (and Black Panther now that the movie was successful)

Hank Pym - probably as Giant Man.  My favorite Avenger.  Big brain of the team, and also can function as a backup leader and occasional loose cannon.

She-Hulk - Strong female character and team powerhouse.

Rick Jones - pair him with She-Hulk? To riff on his history with Hulk?  Write Rick as non-powered, but a competent member of the team due to a combination of smarts, guile, bravado, and combat training.

Wonder Man - interesting character and the team hook-up when they need red safari jackets.  Those will be coming back into style any day now.

Photon/Captain Marvel/Spectrum/whatever - Monica Rambeau.  Likable character.  Fills the 'sort of a new character but not completely new to the audience" role.

My seventh might be Blue Marvel, but I'd probably want someone less powered in that spot.

Also would put in Stingray - just so i could write a running joke about how none of the team's adventures involve the ocean at all and Stingray has nothing to do except sit around the mansion looking forlorn.

25 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

I would dig a book with Ace's lineup.  Especially if it was written by Al Ewing.

For my lineup, the first rule is no dudes with their own book.  No Cap, Thor, Iron Man, etc.  Sorry, but those characters are played out and it makes writing them hard when you can't do much to shake up their status quo because it won't sync with what's going on in their own book.  Also, it makes slow-burn storytelling hard because the three=year plan the writer has in his head will be shot to hell when Marvel decides to book another company-wide crossover and reboot all the books with new #1's and drastic changes to the characters.

So my Avengers would be:

Hawkeye - fills the "veteran team leader" role nicely and you can actually do something with the character, unlike Cap (and Black Panther now that the movie was successful)

Hank Pym - probably as Giant Man.  My favorite Avenger.  Big brain of the team, and also can function as a backup leader and occasional loose cannon.

She-Hulk - Strong female character and team powerhouse.

Rick Jones - pair him with She-Hulk? To riff on his history with Hulk?  Write Rick as non-powered, but a competent member of the team due to a combination of smarts, guile, bravado, and combat training.

Wonder Man - interesting character and the team hook-up when they need red safari jackets.  Those will be coming back into style any day now.

Photon/Captain Marvel/Spectrum/whatever - Monica Rambeau.  Likable character.  Fills the 'sort of a new character but not completely new to the audience" role.

My seventh might be Blue Marvel, but I'd probably want someone less powered in that spot.

Also would put in Stingray - just so i could write a running joke about how none of the team's adventures involve the ocean at all and Stingray has nothing to do except sit around the mansion looking forlorn.

Hey, if you need an Avenger to do stuff like cut the ribbon at the opening of a new Starbuck's or campaign about Global Warming, Walt Newell is your guy! After all, he's a fully accredited marine biologist and marine biologists with cool threads that can zap you with electricity aren't exactly falling out of trees. Well, actually they might be... There doesn't seem to be anything on Prof. Newell's CV that would indicate that he's particularly good at climbing trees...

I will go the blasphemous route and say that the first West Coast Avengers roster (Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Tigra, Wonder Man, War Machine) was my favorite Avengers team.

I will commit further blasphemy by saying that the first Thunderbolts roster was the best Avengers team not named the Avengers.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

There was a JLA Detroit, 

Not just JLA Michigan, but specifically Detroit.  How's that for service?

The best that the Avengers could do was to organize a League Of Substitute Heroes-esque team of misfits to float through the entire Great Lakes region and the Avengers still relied on Alpha Flight to cover the Canadian side of the border.

Just goes to show, they had no clue what they were doing. Michigan had to wait for a portal to open up from the past and have JLA: Detroit come save it.

Edited by Ryan

8 minutes ago, Ryan said:

The Great Lakes (Copyrighted name goes here) did the best they could, dammit.

West Coast got Wonder Man and War Machine, while Great Lakes got Doorman and Big Bertha.  

Fuck that.

Bertha's mutant ability was the power to make herself super strong yet fat and then shed the weight by vomiting.  What a wonderful message to send to the teen girls of our great nation.

Edited by J.T.

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avengers:_The_Initiative#List_of_teams_by_state

No Michigan for some reason? GLA were stationed in Wisconsin for that. Some of those groupings were pretty fun even if they were all mostly, ultimately fodder for the Skrull Invasion.

I wish you hadn't posted that, because it reminded me how much I loved and miss The Order.

I REALLY want to see the Fifty States Initiative brought back in some form.  The idea that every state has a team of government-payroll capes who can reasonably show up any time a story is set in their turf was a great one, and flushing it after Siege was a huge mistake.  

On 3/12/2019 at 10:32 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

I REALLY want to see the Fifty States Initiative brought back in some form.  The idea that every state has a team of government-payroll capes who can reasonably show up any time a story is set in their turf was a great one, and flushing it after Siege was a huge mistake.  

I wouldn't mind that at some point but for now, I think the "Agents of Wakanda" thing is a fun story device and I'd rather they keep leaning into that.

• Like 1

Here's my submission for a team. I'm sure this can change by the weekend.

Captain America - Clearly he's the best leader in the Marvel Universe, if not one of the best.

Red Hulk - I know a lot of people don't like the General Thunderbolt-as-Hulk, but I really did. He fits insanely strong team member check box. I also like that he's a brilliant tactician on his own. You can have some really fun subplots with him trying to lead the team (he is pretty manipulative) and the weird relationship he has with Cap. So Rulk is also the wildcard. 

Sersi - She fits the god archetype. 

Valkyrie - Every team needs a bad ass fighter. 

Beast - Resident smartypants of the team, and you do need a mutant. This is Marvel after all.