DVDVR Message Board

Your Perfect Team of Avengers? Who and why?

OSJ

This came up on another board some weeks back and prompted some really interesting ideas and a few that were just batshit insane. But if you have the entire Marvel Universe to draw from, who comprises your perfect team of Avengers and why? The successful teams over the years have been based on balance; for an example, if you have Thor, Iron Man and the Hulk as members just what exactly are Hawkeye and Captain America bringing to the party other than (dare I say it?) veteran presence! For the purposes of this exercise on the other board, we limited ourselves to a maximum of six members, after all this isn't the frigging Justice Society. Also keep in mind that the sole purpose of The Avengers after issue #15 was to showcase characters that likely would not be successful with their own title (though as we've seen over the years, limited series are a good way to get around this.) So who ya got?

I'm thinking we need to have:

The Vision

Gotta have Hank Pym in some capacity, I'll go with the Yellowjacket identity as being the most formidable.

As much as I love the character of Iron Man, if you have both the Vision and Iron Man you start to run into the excess of power scenario, you really don't need both.

Same goes for Cap and T'challa, either one is fine as a team leader, but you don't need both, one has to go. For me the Steve Rogers character is far less interesting than the Black Panther, so if I have to choose, I'm going with BP. 

It has been drilled into our subconscious since 1965 that for some reason you cannot have the Avengers without Clint Barton, to this I say "bullshit". They got along splendidly when he was off on the West Coast and I'm sure that they can struggle on quite nicely without him. 

Thor and Hercules are both bad choices for the same reasons, really, if you have either one of these guys, what's the point in the rest of the team? Hell, throw Wonderman into the mix as another case of an overabundance of riches, having any of the three along with the Vision is getting into that overkill scenario with a quickness. 

Going back to the early 1960s it was drummed into us that you needed both Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne, to which I say "nonsense" they are far too similarly powered, if you have Hank you don't need Jan or vis versa. There are at least three far more interesting female characters that would be better suited for the team, I would suggest Photon or Capt. Marvel, whatever Monica Rambeau chooses to go by these days, the Black Widow has been portrayed as a nearly picture perfect Avenger over the last couple of decades and I've always had a soft spot for Patsy Walker as Hellcat. If I can only have one of the three, I think I'd go with Photon as having been incredibly under-utilized. 

Now here's my dark horse candidate: The Blazing Skull, super strength and imperviousness to flame are a rather odd combination, also factor in that after years of imprisonment and psychological torture, Blazing Skull is pretty close to batshit insane. Yeah, having a borderline nutcase on the team works for me.

Hmmm, only one spot left,  now here's where I should pimp Stingray just in case you have something underwater that needs doing, but I'll restrain myself.  Elsewhere I covered how horribly mis-used the Black Knight character has been, but I don't think that this is the place to try and fix things. Thought about Moon Knight and Fantomex, but I have to conclude that they (like Spidey and Wolverine) work best as solo characters. Storm would be an interesting addition as her powers are completely unlike anyone else's. I'm also intrigued by the concept of Bucky as the Winter Soldier trying to atone for past misdeeds, but we already have one guy that's as goofy as soup sandwich, do we really want another headcase? 

Let's see: We have the strategic team leader and reasonably powered up T'challa, we have the brainiac in Hank Pym as YellowJacket, for sheer power we have Vision and Photon, and for muscle and comic relief we've got the Blazing Skull. I like the idea of Storm, Hellcat, Winter Soldier and the Black Widow as being on the team, but I can only have one... Who should it be? At the risk of tipping the scales to too much power, I'm going to narrow it down to two candidates, Storm and Iron Man (yeah, didn't think I'd bring Tony back into the equation didja?) Of the two, I'm going to have to go with Storm simply because of uniqueness of power. That gives us a pretty heavy hitting team with no one being so underpowered as to be an embarrassment (Hawkeye, cough, cough.) Yeah so we gots us:

Black Panther

Vision

Photon

Blazing Skull

Yellowjacket

Storm 

Yeah, when your weakest link is Yellowjacket, I think you're in pretty good shape as a team. Yeah, this works!

Edited by OSJ

OK, so we need an otherworldly tank guy, in the Thor mode. But Thor has always got Asgardian worries to take care of, and Ares doesn't seem to understand why you should be a Hero rather than a villain. So, Hercules.

In the team leader, patriotic guy spot. We'll go with Cap. That's right, Captain Britain.

Next, the crafty veteran who's seen it all and done it all. The Hawkeye spot. But you don't want to put someone who has previously been any type of team leader, because that could cause subordination issues. Which would rule out anyone like Cyclops or the Wasp, even. So why not have Sue Storm, the Invisible Woman?

Ordinarily there would be a stealth spot here, but having Invisible Woman on the team rather renders that moot. So instead we'll go with psychic recon. Rachel Summers, because she's probably not busy and certainly never getting her own book.

In the really intelligent person spot, well, we've already got his wife, so Reed Richards would be the obvious choice. But I already said no former team leaders, so Peni Parker. She builds robots.

And then the wildcard to fill things out. Longshot is most likely available.

Many many years ago, I laid out my perfect team on this board (God knows how many board versions ago) and I think I still stand by it, although most of these characters have died.

U.S. Agent

Thunderstrike

War Machine

Scarlet Spider (OG Ben Reilly version, no Kaine, no he's half Jackal)

Vengeance

-----

I feel like there was one more, but that's what I remember. It wouldn't sell, but I think if it was handled with the right tone, a mix of humor, depression and stakes that sometimes suddenly get real serious, it could be great. In that JLI vein, and then when they had to fight Despero. 

16 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Many many years ago, I laid out my perfect team on this board (God knows how many board versions ago) and I think I still stand by it, although most of these characters have died.

U.S. Agent

Thunderstrike

War Machine

Vengeance

-----

I feel like there was one more, but that's what I remember. It wouldn't sell, but I think if it was handled with the right tone, a mix of humor, depression and stakes that sometimes suddenly get real serious, it could be great. In that JLI vein, and then when they had to fight Despero. 

i don't know who Vengeance is, but I'm board with the rest of this team.

but it needs a female. She-Hulk?

While the series never quite reached its potential, I think Dan Slott's Mighty Avengers came closest to my ideal team with its crew of also-rans stepping up (having Herc and USAgent explicitly filling the roles Cap and Thor usually would was a great touch; I'd go so far as to add Rhodey to further emphasize that).  That team had Stature/Stinger/Cassie Lang, Amadeus Cho, Little Vision, and Jocasta but I'd drop them.  I'd probably build from there by giving Songbird the chance to really lead a team instead of having to play the 8d chess she had to in AIMvengers; Quicksilver just because he's one of my favorites.  Round it out with a couple of graduates from younger groups (I'd say Hazmat and one of the X-Men trainees, maybe) and you've got a mess of a team with a lot of story potential because of or in spite of being a mess.  I'm not as concerned with over-powering a team as John is, but I'm weirdly conscious of how much the initial Uncanny Avengers lineup pissed me off because more than half of them were characters who lead nearly every team they're on these days and it felt like we were just supposed to accept that Cap, Jan, Rogue, Logan and Tony would all follow Alex's lead even when he was screwing the pooch.  In my mind, this is Melissa's team and these are the best Avengers she can get on board.

Also, in an era that has a modern-day Guardians it'd never happen, but I'd love to put together a Cosmic Avengers team along the lines of Avengers Infinity or the space team from Kang Dynasty.  Monica's obviously leading it, add in a Quasar (any Quasar), Genis-Vell when he's stable, a couple fish out of water (maybe Pym goes here to atone for the damage he did as Pymtron instead of the Earth team above?) and a Nova and you've got something to build on.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Vengeance:

213157-118900-vengeance.jpg

Am I over-simplifying it, or isn't Vengeance just pretty much a jacked-up Ghost-Rider?

20 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

U.S. Agent

Thunderstrike

War Machine

Vengeance

-----

That looks pretty well thought out to me though I will fuss about the lack of female team members, and the presence of the Thor and Iron-Man knock-offs, I may be wrong here, but isn't Thuderstrike basically a Thor clone? I really don't know,  I tend to give  Agardians and Olymlpians the stink-eye as a matter of course as they tend to over-tip the team balance of power pretty quickly. For that matter, isn't US Agent a pretty much weakass version of Cap, being not nearly as intelligent or as skilled?

20 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Am I over-simplifying it, or isn't Vengeance just pretty much a jacked-up Ghost-Rider?

He's to (90's) Ghost Rider the same thing Thunderstrike is to Thor, War Machine is to Iron Man, etc.

19 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Wasp, She-Hulk, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Beast, and Wonder Man.

With Jarvis And Henry Gyrich.

Sweet, Tap-dancing Jeebus, who are these guys going to fight; the Masters of Evil, Batroc's Brigade, the FF, the LSH, and the Defenders all at the same time? Not too put too fine a point on it, but what are Cap and Jan going to do when the shit hits the fan? Play bridge with Gyrich and Jarvis; I think these guys might be just a tad overpowered; don't you think? Goes back to my central objection of having Thor, Hulk or Iron Man on the team, (you can get away with Tony, by utilizing equipment failures and the like, but if you're going to have Vision & Wonder Man on the team, adding She-Hulk, Iron-Man and Thor gets us into "over-powered" territory pretty quickly. 

I like the idea of She-Hulk as a member, and I've always felt the Vision should be the glue that holds the team together, but that said. once you incorporate these two powerhouses, anyone of the Wonder Man level or higher should be an automatic "no". just too avoid an over-powered team. 

I't would be like those issues of Justice League, where you have Supes, Flash, Green Lantern and Wonder-woman on the team. What exactly are Black Canary and Green Arrow supposed to do, sit around reading issues of SA issues of Showcase?

Edited by OSJ

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Brian cares more about kewl Ghost Rider spin-off characters than strong, empowering, fully fleshed out female characters.

The problem is they never really did the "temporary replacement/becomes a 90's extreme spinoff version" with any of the female heroes. Even She-Hulk doesn't really fit.

21 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

U.S. Agent

Thunderstrike

War Machine

Vengeance

-----

That's an Avengers: West Coast lineup, pal

16 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Sweet, Tap-dancing Jeebus, who are these guys going to fight; the Masters of Evil, Batroc's Brigade, the FF, the LSH, and the Defenders all at the same time? Not too put too fine a point on it, but what are Cap and Jan going to do when the shit hits the fan? Play bridge with Gyrich and Jarvis; I think these guys might be just a tad overpowered; don't you think? Goes back to my central objection of having Thor, Hulk or Iron Man on the team, (you can get away with Tony, by utilizing equipment failures and the like, but if you're going to have Vision & Wonder Man on the team, adding She-Hulk, Iron-Man and Thor gets us into "over-powered" territory pretty quickly. 

I like the idea of She-Hulk as a member, and I've always felt the Vision should be the glue that holds the team together, but that said. once you incorporate these two powerhouses, anyone of the Wonder Man level or higher should be an automatic "no". just too avoid an over-powered team. 

I't would be like those issues of Justice League, where you have Supes, Flash, Green Lantern and Wonder-woman on the team. What exactly are Black Canary and Green Arrow supposed to do, sit around reading issues of SA issues of Showcase?

John,

Did you read Jonathan Hickman's Avengers run from a few years ago? It's big and covers two books but I'd be very curious what you thought of it as a whole.

• Like 1

The One-Above-All, Molecule Man, The Sentry, Galactus and Squirrel Girl. That should cover all the bases.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Spider-Ham
The Beyonder
ForbushMan
Deaths Head
Captain Ultra
Madcap
1960s Wasp.

I had to check the first entry to ensure that it wasn't some sort of bizarre typo. Yes, I know who the Beyonder is and pretty much wish that I didn't. "Forbush Man" , hey, I'm a member in good standing of the Merry Marvel Marching Society. 

Death's Head, that's the British robot dude, right? Many years back I picked up a bunch of issues in the 10-for-a-dollar box at Comic's Dungeon. Considered it a fine expenditure, but had no desire to chase down additional issues. 

Had to look this up as I thought it far too silly for such a character to exist. Seems to me that he was in the same issue of something-or-over as "Paladin". Look, when your identity is a rip-off of  an early 1960s TV western character, I have my doubts that we're shooting for "A-lister" status here. 

Madcap? What, did this dude steal the Foolkiller's hat? Why would you do such a thing? 

1960s Wasp. I do not approve of dudes' inflicting violence on women. I just don't, I was raised better than that. However, pretty much anytime that I hear a  dis-track from ODB, I have to pause and check to see that Janet Van Dyne is not the subject of discussion. To say that Janet Van Dyne of the 1960s/1970s was a self-absorbed airhead, is to seriously enoble her. The was a minor story-arc that ran through the pages of Avengers and Tales to Astonish. Among other things, she went from being in-line to inheriting a big bag of money to actually getting the inheritance. Hank, being the generally good dude that he is, didn't so much as ask her to pick up a beaker or flask for him. As might be expected, she turned the flirting with other dudes up to "10", culminating with a really creepy few sessions with her chauffeur. a talented lad better-known as "The Human Top" , or now: "Whirlwind", as the case may be: Dave Cannon was established as an obnoxious thug way back in TTOA, and he has remained an obnoxious thug who seemingly pretty much feels that with great power comes a long line of people who will line-up to kiss your ass and yell you how wonderful you are. 

We had a few couples come out of the 1960s as tweeners, switching to  full-blown superheroes in rather short order. Black Widow and Hawkeye, starting with Hawkeye's appearance in Tales of Suspense #56 Yeah, he was as stupid as a piece of wood, and "Tasha was way out of his league, and after fifty-some years as a couple, he's realized that to be effective in combat that you need a variety of weapons at your disposal, not just a bow and arrows... Oh, wait... you don't say?  Still with the arrows? Just last week? Yeah, never mind then... At least Black Bolt and Medusa made for a really cool couple.

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, it definitely is.

Back when I regularly read comics as an adolescent, I had a weird attraction to the less popular comics. No Avengers, X-Men, or Spider-Man for me—no, it was Guardians, Wonder Man, Quasar, and Avengers: West Coast.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm trying to get him to focus on the Hickman run here. Come on.

Okay, I'm not real high on parody characters, but I trust Hickman to bring the funny and not just the silly. I shall see if some of this stuff is on-line as it still has quite a ways to go in my head from "that's rather droll." to "I GOTTA HAVE THIS". Keep in mind that the only humor comic  that I made it a point to collect over the last forty years was Bob Burden's The Flaming Carrot...

Now let's talk Avengers as that has always been the centerpiece of the collection. Back in the day I had the run from 16-30 and sporadic issues up to #48, okay, bring on the Black Knight as a good-guy (which he always should have been) and I'm all-in, and the collection is solid until the low 100s. Thanks to the much-older kid down the street  (19-20. whereas I was just turning 15;) deciding to roll back his collection to just Thor, Iron Man and Cap, I was ecstatic! Cap and Iron Man had shared a long-run in Tales of Suspense, and I had my eye on those Kirby Thors, believe you me. I knew Tom well enough to know that a 20 year-old dude that collects comics, has never been out with a girl, etc. is a pretty likely candidate to sell off everything, mope around for a few weeks and then rebuild it all.... 

I was right about this, however what I didn't see coming was own infatuation with the ladies, pot and speed, though not necessarily in that order... Somewhere in the mid-seventies the collection went bye-bye as I became an expert in rationalizing a preference for "experiences" as opposed to owning "things". This is of course code for "I have to sell my Wrightson Swamp Things because Mary is coming over and while I have plenty of wine, I am low on dope and I don't want to take any chances...

Anyway, by the 1990s there was nothing left to save except for weird shit like Concrete and the Flaming Carrot... Then Marvel Masterworks happened and I went berserk... Will I spend money to rebuild my collection my collection in nice permanent hardcovers that are not only remastered for a sharper, more colorful image but also includes a ton of shit that I didn't have, but in retrospect discovered I couldn't really live without (such as FF from about the mid--30s up until Busemca took over the book, not that Big John was bad, he wasn't, but he wasn't Kirby. Yeah, and DC Archives... Just take all my money now, please. Oh, and we have Gondwanaland Comics slicing up MLJ, Nedor Comics, and Lev Geason any way that you like them (which is actually really a good idea, for example, I can create my own Hangman trades, with nothing but Hangman strips. Or if I want to create an anthology of surprisingly well-drawn back-up strips, I can put together a volume featuring the complete appearances of Inferno, (well-drawn), Firefly, (wasn't particularly well drawn, but he fought lots of mummies, werewolves, and zombies, which was pretty cool. Had to stick a third character in there, and there was just too much Black Hood and the Shield so I had to find a limited back-up (who just happened to by MLJ's first superhero, that they ended up treating him like the joke he was.... Bob Phantom! Now, other than being first and that's arguable as the Wizard debuted first, but as an armchair problem-solver and Bob Got his costume in his first appearance.

OK, I'll bite.

First, we need a leader and while I love Cap, he's almost cliche at this point.  Black Panther would be a good choice if the Avengers were mostly an international organization, but let's face it most Avengers business starts in and around American interests.  So, I nominate Luke Cage.  Luke is someone everyone respects, he cares as much about protecting the little people as much as the country/world at large, and he has experience leading an Avengers team.  

Second, we need someone who is the yin to Luke's yang.  We need someone who thinks on a global level and has powers that make up for Luke's short range and lack of mobility.  I'm putting Captain Marvel in this spot.  Captain Marvel can fly, can shoot photonic blasts, which makes her the equivalent to the air support for the tank that is Luke Cage.  She has a great relationship with Luke, being that she's best friends with his wife, and has a great mind for military tactics.  If you are going to have a second in command, I can't think of a better candidate.

Third, we need a brain or two.  Luke and Carol are more than capable in a fight, but sometimes the Avengers get presented with problems that can't be punched.  We need a couple of problem solvers.  First up, I'm choosing Beast.  He's pretty much the Illuminati version of Luke Cage.  He thinks on an almost cosmic level and is good in a fight.  The problem with Beast is that he needs someone to keep him grounded so he doesn't do something crazy like bringing some Avengers from 50 years ago into the future to prove a point.  

Forth, I'm going to bring in Riri Williams.  She's a genius, but more importantly, she's a young genius, who is very grounded in the real world.  Beast has been around forever and has far too much fondness for the good old days.  We need someone who thinks about how much better the future can be than someone who is stuck thinking about how good the past was.  Riri is very much a futurist, and I'd love to see them interact and see what solutions they could come up with while working together.  Beast would be great with Riri, because of his experience as a teacher at the Xavier school, and Riri is the type of kid who would jump at the chance to pick the brain of someone like Beast.  These two are there for their brains, but both are more than capable in a fight.  Beast is an underrated fighter, but he's basically a 400 lb. werewolf who is stronger, faster, and more agile than any human being.  Riri Williams built an Ironman armor in a suburban Chicago garage as a 15-year-old.

OK, now we need to get a couple of people who round out the team in both power and personality.  The Avengers need to be team that can deal with local problems (Luke Cage), cosmic problems (Captain Marvel), Mutant issues (Beast), Techological issues (RiRi Williams), but this team is missing a diplomat.  Those 4 would win most physical fights with little to no problem, but some fights are fought with words.  I think we need someone who can stand in front of the world and demand respect without bringing any baggage along with them.  I'm going to nominate Sam Wilson.  Sam Wilson's reign as Captain America was short, but I think it made him a much more relatable character.  He is the type of person who is a good soldier without giving up his own identity.  Sam Wilson's decision to separate his version of Captain America from the United States government was an ingenious take on the character.  He was running around calling himself Captain America while saying the government was failing Americans.  Sam Wilson is the kind of man who isn't scared to stand up for what he believes in, but he does it without burning bridges.

Last but not least we need a wildcard.  I want someone that the team loves and trusts, but the rest of the world either dislikes or outright hates.   That person is Magneto.  OK, hear me out.  Magneto has been a hero, a villain, an anti-hero, and everything in between.  The thing we always have to understand is that Magneto's entire life is dedicated to protecting mutants from the threats of humanity.  He has studied human history and he knows that at some point humanity will eventually turn violent against the "others."  He has tried to prevent this while leading teams of mutants, but for the first time he has joined a group of humans who are sympathetic to his cause.  Luke Cage, Riri Williams, and Sam Wilson are human, but they've also all dealt with being an other.  

Ok, this is the storyline.  The Avengers have been around forever, had their ups and downs, and have expanded and contracted more often than we can count.  After a giant event that causes massive damages across the country that leads to a rift in the traditional Cap/Tony/Thor Avengers team, the world is without a team of Avengers.  People are wary of the entire concept of superheroes, and opinions have started to flip in a way that no one is really ready for.  Hydra is under new leadership and they are basically a super far-right fascist group that is infiltrating the government as well as plotting a hostile takeover of multiple cities.  Carol Danvers is at Luke Cage and Jessica Jones' home for dinner and a news program comes on and there is a violent riot that breaks out and the Hydra agents are basically beating protestors in the street.  Carol Danvers sees this as a police matter, not an Avengers matter, but Luke vehemently disagrees.  He sees the Avengers as a team that needs to protect against all threats great and small, but Carol thinks they should focus only on threats the government isn't equipped to fight.  Flash forward 6-months and the people elect an openly fascist President who flaunts his affiliation to Hydra.  Upon his inauguration, the government starts rounding up anyone they decide is an enemy of the state.  Enemies of the state are anyone who has fought against Hydra in the past, mutants, Inhumans, S.H.I.E.L.D., S.W.O.R.D., etc.  Carol shows up at Luke Cage's house and apologizes to him, and tells him that she wants to join the fight and it's time for the Avengers to Assemble.  They spend the next issue or two looking for allies, but they found that Hydra has been very effective in rounding up the good guys.  

The first person they find is Beast, who escaped after the government raided the X-Mansion.  Most of the team was off-site, as they were tricked into going on a mission that was ultimately a set up to imprison the team.  Beast was working in his lab, listening to classical music when a squad of government agents tried to catch him by surprise.  Beast fights his way out and escapes to the forest that surrounds the mansion and disappears into the trees.  He shows up at an old S.H.I.E.L.D. safehouse and finds a decrypted message from Luke and Carol.  Riri is working in her lab at M.I.T. when a mysterious man in a suit tries to recruit her to develop a tracking system for any super-powered individuals.  She's smart enough to see what is going on and starts planning her escape.  She notices that her armor has been confiscated, but they don't realize that she has developed a new armor that incorporates the super-power tracking system.  She finds Luke Cage and joins the team.  Sam Wilson, who has pretty much been living his life out of the superhero spotlight after giving up his role as Captain America.  He's basically living off the grid in a cabin in upstate New York.  Carol Danvers shows up and asks him to join the team.  She basically tells him that when he was Captain America, he saw all of this coming but no one wanted to listen.  They need someone to be the face of their resistance fighting as hard politically as they are fighting physically.  He goes into the cabin, opens up a chest, grabs the Captain America shield and says, "Let's go take our country back."

So, they immediately get to work and the first mission is to liberate New York.  Beast and Riri come up with an ingenious plan and Luke and Carol are able to take the city back with little collateral damage.  They hold a press conference and Sam Wilson in full Captain America regalia gives an inspiring speech about how the Avengers are back and they are here to fight for the American people, even if it means fighting the United States Government.  They retreat to the Avengers mansion and Beast greets them.  He tells them they have a visitor, who can be a great asset to their cause.  Magneto steps into the room and asks to join their cause.  Over the run of the series, they'll be using Riri Williams technology to find allies and take cities back from the government.  It will be part political drama, part spycraft, and eventually a huge superhero fight.  I'd like to see this group flip the narrative of what it means to be patriotic.  A group of minorities who are fighting to take back the country could be a cool storyline.   

• Like 1