NMM #3 - "SPEEDBALL" MIKE BAILEY

RIPPA

"SPEEDBALL" MIKE BAILEY

Dwd3nDJUYAA_Nyz-696x522.jpg

Cagematch

RANDOM MATCHES (w/ links)

vs. Matt Riddle (OTT)

vs. Sammy Guevara (DDT)

vs. Will Ospreay (Defiant's Pro Wrestling World Cup)

vs. Penta El Zero M (Defiant)

RANDOM MATCHES (w/o links)

vs. Shuji Ishikawa (DDT)

vs. Keith Lee (OTT)

Bailey/ACH vs. Dijak/Dunn (WXW) 

vs. WALTER *cough* Bilibili *cough*

RANDOM NOTES

- Still banned from wrestling in the US

- I assume he has good stuff from Canada proper but I have seen none of it.

- Any match he wrestled for Defiant is online. That is a general FYI for anyone who worked for them.

Probably one of my favorite wrestlers to watch in the whole world.  I just have so much fun when I watch his stuff.  What sucks is he fucked that up with his visa issues in the US - I have a feeling he probably would have been a lucha underground character if me and my friends kept pushing for it enough and if he wanted to, but that probably worked out for the best because he's not locked down in a contract for a dead promotion.

I'd like to throw his 2015 BOLA run, I was there for that shit, so were @S.K.o.S. and @Robert - he had fun matches against Drew Galloway, Tommy End, Will Ospreay, and a decent final three way with ZSJ and Chris Hero.

Look at where everyone else in that list is in and it makes you feel bad that this guy fucked his career up so badly with the visa deal.  Instead you get Naomi and Alexa Bliss doing his shit.

I also recommend his DDT title matches against Konosuke Takeshita and I don't even like Konosuke Takeshita

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 3

At BOLA, he was super over, but not selling merch like everyone else.  Everyone was wondering why not - we all wanted to give the guy our money.

Now I'm thinking he didn't want to get caught at customs with that shit.

I have seen way too little of Bailey but love what he does.  I'm of the mindset that the Visa issue was a blessing in disguise.  It pretty much meant that he had to travel the world to make a living and he seems to have done pretty well for himself.  I'm confident when he finally hits the US that he'll be not only a well-traveled vet but also ready for a big promotion if he chooses.

• Like 1

I'd not seen much of Bailey, then in the last 6 months I've seen him have crackers with El Ligero, Gene Munny and Mike Bird, putting in loads of effort despite being in tiny pub back rooms. Aside from being a killer in the ring - those kicks look deadly - he also just seems like a nice man. There's just something wholesome about him before he crushes a spine with a twisting kneedrop

Is the WALTER his Riptide match? That was amazing and I saw it live if so; if not, still amazing.

I also loved his match against Bobby Gunns in wXw. Coming off the back of an insane tag match with WALTER and Bailey against Gunns and Bad Bones John Klinger, their match for the Shotgun title was really fun.

Spoiler about the aforementioned match:

It is also worth mentioning that Bailey allowed Gunns to make use of his doublejointedness in his fingers for some particularly horrific joint work. To be able to do that, and only to whip that out a fair few years into your career made it all the more mindblowing.

Edited by Liam

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Is the WALTER his Riptide match? That was amazing and I saw it live if so; if not, still amazing.

Yes it is (at least per the title on the video I saw)

• Like 1

If he stays with Veda, given their exchanges on Twitter, I suspect that Bailey is straight into the US the second he can get a work Visa again, which will be great.

3 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Probably one of my favorite wrestlers to watch in the whole world.  I just have so much fun when I watch his stuff.  What sucks is he fucked that up with his visa issues in the US - I have a feeling he probably would have been a lucha underground character if me and my friends kept pushing for it enough and if he wanted to, but that probably worked out for the best because he's not locked down in a contract for a dead promotion.

I'd like to throw his 2015 BOLA run, I was there for that shit, so were @S.K.o.S. and @Robert - he had fun matches against Drew Galloway, Tommy End, Will Ospreay, and a decent final three way with ZSJ and Chris Hero.

Look at where everyone else in that list is in and it makes you feel bad that this guy fucked his career up so badly with the visa deal.  Instead you get Naomi and Alexa Bliss doing his shit.

I also recommend his DDT title matches against Konosuke Takeshita and I don't even like Konosuke Takeshita

Brother was so dope in PWG. The match with Trevor Lee from Don't Sweat the Technique was a blast and featured an insane apron bump before that happened a dozen times a show.

Also had a really fucking good match with HARASHIMA early on in his DDT run. He proved he could hang with the guy at the top of the food chain at the time.

Ok, I tapped on the Riddle match after the first exchange with the early Canadian destroyer. I have my limits guys. I had liked the first exchange well enough and the pacing up to that point, but come on.

I am going to try the "Space Monkey" match. The banana peel/senton spot is tremendous. All of those missed kicks at the beginning made the first one to land mean something. I am rarely impressed by cardio alone, but those corner kicks felt impressive. I could do maybe two before ending up totally gassed. Bailey does a lot of impressive stuff and not just the flips. The tail-pull transition was understated and great. Bailey does make the Cobrai Kai thing work for the most part. I liked him much more in this looser setting than in the two minutes I saw against the former MMA guy in Riddle.

Space Monkey sort of feels like the heir to El Generico. I came out of this wanting to see more Space Monkey and mainly wanting to beat up Bailey in Tekken. Is there a Space Monkey vs WALTER match? 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Ok, I tapped on the Riddle match after the first exchange with the early Canadian destroyer. I have my limits guys. I had liked the first exchange well enough and the pacing up to that point, but come on.

Ahahaha.  That OTT match was in October 2017.  They had another match in SMASH in December 2017 with an early TOP ROPE Canadian Destroyer, treated like it was just a normal garden-variety move.

• Sad 1

• RIPPA unpinned this topic
  • RIPPA unfeatured this topic

Tried watching the Riddle match and their were two Canadian Destroyers in the first 3 minutes so .... no I won’t be watching that please and thank you.  

Thank you Indy wrestling for being stupid enough to run that stupid move into the fucking dirt and forgetting that the piledriver actually exists so it still has a little value.