DVDVR Message Board

DAMN YOU JOHN CENA!!! - SDL - 3/5/2019

Dolfan in NYC

35 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

As consistently great as Joe is on the mic, I'm increasingly convinced that the Usos are low key the best promo in the business

The preceding Bryan/Owens segment was so overscripted it was like that South Park episode in comparison

If Joe wasn't on the roster I would wholeheartedly agree with the Usos being the best on SD.  But Joe's got some next-level stuff going on.  And I was fine with Bryan/Owens though it was odd not hearing Kevin as a heel.

7 hours ago, Swiftian said:

Agreed with the disliking of Becky's character espoused earlier in the thread. As a fellow Dub and someone I was aware of when she was first starting out, I'm happy that she's getting a major moment in the spotlight and I'll be cheering her on, but her character is annoying as hell. She always gets the last laugh. She gets beaten down, she's cracking jokes the next day, someone gets a good line against her in a promo, she no sells it and smirks.

I'm not saying she should be the cowardly heel (and despite outward appearances, she is the heel here, Rousey is the justifiably angry face) but I'd prefer if she gave something back to her opponents and let them get some heat on her.

This is WWE.  Top Babyfaces Don't Do That Here.

Cena didn't. Austin didn't.  HBK didn't in 1996. Warrior didn't during his year.  Hogan didn't.

Even my patron saints Bret Hart and Randy Savage, for all of how refreshingly "mortal" they were allowed to remain, turned off the selling when it was time to mount a comeback via the Five Moves Of Doom.

Even The Rock would get beat down in street clothes, injured, and go on to win 3 on 1 handicap matches in complete contempt of all plausibility.

It's why Roman Reigns kicks out of 800 F5s and it's why Seth Rollins flicks the on/off switch on selling his knee when it's time to go back on offense.

This is a systemic thing. A famous bug of WWE storytelling that persists because Vince considers it a feature.  It's not the character.  It's the position on the card that needs to show up for 250+ Live Events A Year.

Be glad Becky's shrugging off everything.  It means she's not the only one in the company who considers her The Man.

21 hours ago, RIShane said:

I'm glad you mentioned Cena in the title because Becky's booking vs Charlotte at the moment is coming off as peak SuperCena. She took three armbars last night, claims to be "injured", yet still magically conjures a Disarmher and bends the legs that are supposedly "injured." while doing it, just because.

Maybe Vince has faith enough in her to have her win the belt at Wrestlemania after all! ?

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

I'm guessing we get Joe/Ali for the US title at Mania, although during that match I kept hoping for either Rey or Andrade to win the title so they could do a title vs mask/hair match at Mania.

I want a big cluster fuck ladder match, we were viod of one at last years Mania.

Joe vs Truth vs Rusev vs Nakamura vs Rey vs Andrade vs Ali for the title in a ladder match, give them 20 minutes and let them go maybe start off the main show with it.

• Like 2

I liked Truth's open challenge, specifically when I came up with two different scenarios (possibly) appearing:

1) They keep adding another wrestler each subsequent week (this week had three opponents, previous had two) until it got to ridiculous portions

Or

2) Truth's challenge runs for a while until Cena himself answers the call

• Like 2

I don't think they're going to do a ladder/TLC match at WrestleMania without having the Hardys involved. That's why I've been thinking that the tag team titles are involved if they do a match like that. Ricochet in a ladder match at 'Mania would be a nice debut for him.

23 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Prime example of why I can't stand Becky anymore. I wished she would at least be out a day to sell that hell of a beating Ronda delivered last night but it was as if nothing really happened in that regard.

It's WWE. The top babyface is always indestructible. How many times did Cena get beat half to death and come out smiling the next day? Triple H was in a car that was dropped on it's roof and crushed, and he came out without a scratch. Steve Austin could be bloodied, beaten, battered from pillar to post, then kick wham stunner throw me a beer. Shawn Michaels could get beat down all match long, barely able to stand, but one nip up later and he's dropping elbows off the top like it's nothing. Bret was playing possum all along. Et cetera. It's what Vince thinks wrestling is.

• Like 2

I just was thinking that they really needed to do a bit where Truth wakes up in his room in his John Cena sheets with the John Cena poster on the wall thinking it's all a dream that he lost the US title, only to find out it was true.

• Haha 4

I was half expecting this to go to Mania and have Cena challenge him as well. I'm sad to see Truth's run end, but I'm really glad with Joe finally getting gold.

Truth and Mela remain a perfect midcard act though.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

As consistently great as Joe is on the mic, I'm increasingly convinced that the Usos are low key the best promo in the business

The preceding Bryan/Owens segment was so overscripted it was like that South Park episode in comparison

The Usos talking about Shane, half admitting he does have a decent shoe game, realizing there was still trash to be talked, and shouting "THAT AIN'T THE POINT" almost killed me

• Like 3

If this leads to Samoa Joe vs. John Cena at WrestleMania, I'm all for it. Joe is long overdue for a WrestleMania contest. If it's 15-20 minutes with Cena at Mania, then go for it. 

Smackdown was pretty decent this week. Though I'm not sure I like Aleister and Ricohet as a tag team going for the Raw tag titles right off the bat. It seems misguided and I'm also concerned this was too early for Ricochet and Black. 

17 hours ago, Swiftian said:

Agreed with the disliking of Becky's character espoused earlier in the thread. As a fellow Dub and someone I was aware of when she was first starting out, I'm happy that she's getting a major moment in the spotlight and I'll be cheering her on, but her character is annoying as hell. She always gets the last laugh. She gets beaten down, she's cracking jokes the next day, someone gets a good line against her in a promo, she no sells it and smirks.

I'm not saying she should be the cowardly heel (and despite outward appearances, she is the heel here, Rousey is the justifiably angry face) but I'd prefer if she gave something back to her opponents and let them get some heat on her.

Good points. For me her social media makes it worse as it magnifies these same traits you're describing. She gives nothing to her opponents, will never let anyone else have the last word (the whole thing with Ronda last week started because Ronda actually had a funny tweet for once about those 'mugshot' photos, which lead Becky to act insulted and mock Ronda's promos) and goes out of her way to make them look bad, which is easy to do thanks to her super strong booking.  Its 'in character' but comes off as selfish, and even worse is the impression that she's running out of material cause her creative and funny tweets are less common these days.

• Like 1

Y'all funny. No one came to see Stone Cold sell his knee or The Rock get beat up and have HHH get in the last word. They came to see everyone get hit with a Stunner and Rock hit a People's Elbow and tell HHH he was gonna turn his nose sideways and stick it straight up his candy ass. Just like no one's here to see Becky walk around with a gimpy leg and getting beat up by lames like Charlotte and Ronda.

I for one, hope next year's Mania is Becky Lynch vs Becky Lynch with special guest referee Becky Lynch inside a steel Becky Lynch.  

• Like 7

I guess I'm just glad to see them really go with someone, anyone after years of not going with anyone. They did NOT do that with Reigns. Most of his booking was abysmal and did not have him looking super strong, no matter what people might have complained. There's a reason why there were plausible political hit theories. Brock's an exception but he's been treated more like an attraction, not even like Andre but like wrestling Bruno during the Hogan years.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I guess I'm just glad to see them really go with someone, anyone after years of not going with anyone. They did NOT do that with Reigns. Most of his booking was abysmal and did not have him looking super strong, no matter what people might have complained. There's a reason why there were plausible political hit theories. Brock's an exception but he's been treated more like an attraction, not even like Andre but like wrestling Bruno during the Hogan years.

They tried really really hard to book Reigns the way they did Daniel Bryan, figuring "he got over being beat down every week, that must be how you get a face over now"

But nobody bought him as the guy the authority didn't want, and nobody was so invested in him winning that the beatdowns fired them up more. Instead he just somehow managed to come across both as weak and as being crammed down the audience's collective throat.

18 hours ago, AxB said:

It's WWE. The top babyface is always indestructible. How many times did Cena get beat half to death and come out smiling the next day? Triple H was in a car that was dropped on it's roof and crushed, and he came out without a scratch. Steve Austin could be bloodied, beaten, battered from pillar to post, then kick wham stunner throw me a beer. Shawn Michaels could get beat down all match long, barely able to stand, but one nip up later and he's dropping elbows off the top like it's nothing. Bret was playing possum all along. Et cetera. It's what Vince thinks wrestling is.

I don't mind it as much if it's a 'throughout the course of a match' thing but I just don't see the point of doing this leg injury angle if it doesn't even matter. For the record, I hated Rollins beating HHH and Joe with one leg too. I guess moreso in this case, I just find Becky more obnoxious and unlikeable each week, on TV and on Twitter, that the indestructible no selling stuff is a little more annoying than usual

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

I wonder if they are only doing that because to them “She’s just a woman” that can’t become an action leading lady in the movies like Cena, or The Rock could.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

They tried really really hard to book Reigns the way they did Daniel Bryan, figuring "he got over being beat down every week, that must be how you get a face over now"

But nobody bought him as the guy the authority didn't want, and nobody was so invested in him winning that the beatdowns fired them up more. Instead he just somehow managed to come across both as weak and as being crammed down the audience's collective throat.

At the start, Daniel Bryan was kicking the dogshit out of Randy Orton. Like, weekly. Orton was keeping the title through shenanigans.

On 3/7/2019 at 1:48 PM, Overly Critical Man said:

I for one, hope next year's Mania is Becky Lynch vs Becky Lynch with special guest referee Becky Lynch inside a steel Becky Lynch.  

I think it would be worth getting back in the gym if it meant wrestling inside a steel Becky Lynch.