DVDVR Message Board

A Note About Our Beloved Dean

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

I hope Dean is kicking ass as usual! I feel for anyone who has medical procedures in this day in age. If only Nature Boy Buddy Landell were alive and hook us up with his infamous SOMA COMA CONCOCTION. 

I  just had a  hernia operation on Tuesday-which felt like I was speared by Andre the Giant while he was wearing the legendary Legion of Doom Spiked Shoulder Pads and picking up speed while gaining momentum from hitting the ropes and pulverizing me in the solar plexus region!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Y'all, Dean sat through the Midlothian show. He can handle anything.

For context, this was part of the Midlothian show:

26 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Y'all, Dean sat through the Midlothian show. He can handle anything.

For context, this was part of the Midlothian show:

Ah, good times.  I think I was the only one to actually pay to get in.  That;s me and Tim Noel and Dave Layne yapping.

• Haha 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
11 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Ah, good times.  I think I was the only one to actually pay to get in.  That;s me and Tim Noel and Dave Layne yapping.

I can't remember how I got a tape of the show or what happened to it, but it was definitely one of my favorites. I also drive by that school on the way to my dentist, and it's a shame that my dentist visits have to be tainted by visions of Shane Hooker.

47 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I see your Typhoon/Shinja vs Kitao/Gigante and I raise you..... Abdullah The Butcher vs Zeus (Tiny Lister):

Speedy recovery wishes to you DEAN!

This is so much worse than the Midlothian match.  Where is Tiny Lister punching?

I reviewed Abby/Zeus in DVDVR 168 (which seems like a million years ago)

Abdullah the Butcher vs. Zeus – WWC 7/7/90 [by RIPPA]
Rummaging through my old unlabelled CDs, I found three discs of wrestling downloads from when the Matches folder first went up, which was like four or five years ago. One of the matches was labeled “Abdullah the Butcher vs. Zeus”. Like any sane human I thought “well that clearly isn’t right”. Of course, who ever uploaded this match hates me and the Baby Jesus because they made it a .rm file. (Just for the record – I am blaming Doug Corti until otherwise notified.) After cursing YouTube for not having it (I mean, fuck, you recommend me 424 different Test matches just because the guy died but not one fucking person would be like “If I put Abdullah the Butcher vs. Zeus up, I so can get more hits that the Don’t Tase Me Guy or the new Simpsons opening or whatever the fuck the kids watch these days”. I bite the bullet and download Real Alternative… again, which I am sure will crash my ITunes… again. Unlike when Meltzer says now in the Observer “No, not THAT Zeus” when referring to the Zeus who shows up in Hustle, I totally mean THAT Zeus. As in Tiny Lister, President of the Universe, Zeus. The interwebs tell me that it is from the 1990 WWC Anniversary show so we will go with that. Sometimes bad wrestling makes you feel oh so good. This is one of those times. Zeus does three things in this match – a bear hug, unintentional shoot headbutts and the worst punch/overhead smash strike you will ever see. The best way I could describe them is a guy in need of bifocals on a bad acid trip trying to fend off the wolf spiders. There is also Abby choking himself which is all sorts of great because Zeus isn’t capable of figuring out how to apply a choke. Man, Abdullah must have felt all sorts of bad for Zeus since he does his darndest to make him look good. And of course since this is Puerto Rico and Abby there is blood. Mind you – it would be hard for him not too between the aforementioned shoot headbutts and the fact that Abby thought “I have a good idea. I will let Tiny stab me with my own pencil!” Zeus is gassed two minutes which makes me feel better about myself since I know that back in 1990 I had better cardio that Lister. For all intents and purposes this is an enjoyable, amazingly sloppy 10 minute brawl which is totally made by Abby going “Okay, Fuck It. Let’s see where this goes.” Of course, it ends in a no contest/double countout as Zeus had to be protected and… well… it is an Abdullah the Butcher match.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/dvdvr168/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I reviewed Abby/Zeus in DVDVR 168 (which seems like a million years ago)

http://deathvalleydriver.com/dvdvr168/

If someone can tell me for the love of God what happened at the 6:39 mark on the clothesline spot, I will give that person my life savings.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If someone can tell me for the love of God what happened at the 6:39 mark on the clothesline spot, I will give that person my life savings.

They fucked up at a level never before envisioned?

• Like 2

On 5/21/2019 at 5:59 PM, DEAN said:

Had six stents shoved into my heart yesterday so I am catching up on the internet wrestling viewing.

I'm sorry you had to have heart surgery, but glad you are doing better. .  .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 9:30 PM, Kuetsar said:

I'm sorry you had to have heart surgery, but glad you are doing better. .  .

I am sorry you had heart surgery but I am so happy that you are applying yourself to tasks that make me, thee Rev. A. Future, so happy like posting monstrously festive rasslin' matches from the interWebs. You know what else is very therapeutic? Drawing them humorous cartoons. Creativity is good for the ticker, my son, and those things always make me laugh and laugh. My well-being matters too, y'know...

get all better soon Mr. Dean,

RAF

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I am sorry you had heart surgery but I am so happy that you are applying yourself to tasks that make me, thee Rev. A. Future, so happy like posting monstrously festive rasslin' matches from the interWebs. You know what else is very therapeutic? Drawing them humorous cartoons. Creativity is good for the ticker, my son, and those things always make me laugh and laugh. My well-being matters too, y'know...

get all better soon Mr. Dean,

RAF

I read this like it was actually The Grand Wizard saying this and I'm giggling like an idiot.

And Dean, glad to see you feeling better and back to posting on here.  And while I miss the Smackdown Comix given the shape the show's in I would be down for comix about damn near any show worth your while.  Perhaps MLW where we can see your take on the Contra Unit?  They're as pro rasslin' as it gets and between them and Mance Warner could be worth checking out.

My dear younger brother DEAN!, hoping that your convalescence is going well. I imagine that you've found all sorts of graps on the internetz to amuse yourself with, but I would remiss if I didn't suggest that you take this opportunity to research Bearcat Wright and view the limited amount of footage that exists. Sweet Tap-dancing Jeebus! This dude had it all, if he'd come along forty years later when wrestling wasn't quite such a racist quagmire, he'd have been Hulk Hogan. Dude is just amazing for such a large man, he can work like a luchador and switch to power moves all in one smooth transition. I suck at embedding things and know that you are a secret master of Google and YouTube, so I'll leave it to you to find the stuff.

Edited by OSJ
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ryan said:

DEAN is going to crash on @OSJ's couch for a month.

The big fella is always welcome here, as are you young sirrah! However, just as we admonish the cats, don't bring anything small with four legs into the house unless you plan on eating it.  Anything with more than four legs should be left outside, particularly if such is hairy and has big fangs. Tarantulas are I'm sure wonderful creatures that do all sorts of good work in keeping insects and mice under control, but I'd just as soon they stay far away from me and I will endeavor to return the favor.