DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2019 WRESTLING TALK.

And speaking of wrestling docs - Jim Ross just tweeted that today is the last day of his WWE contract (which almost assuredly means it will be the last day he will ever be a WWE employee) and that the last thing he is doing is shooting an interview for an Undertaker documentary

1 minute ago, Zartan said:

So Ross was still contracted to WWE and doing the NJPW English commentary? 

Yes. We he signed back with WWE, they didn't prevent him from still doing NJPW work since he was contracted for that. On the other hand, he didn't really do a whole lot of that work anyway.

Talking point:

How did you find it then? 

How do you feel about it now? 

I feel same way, I really liked it. There were low expectations going into Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns and they put on one of the greatest matches in WrestleMania history.

Both men battered each other with Lesnar on top but Reigns hanging on in there with defiance. Still remember the clothesline by Brock to Roman on the ring apron. I also remember the finishing stretch as Reigns rocked Lesnar with Superman punches and Spears but couldn't keep him down.

A Money in the Bank cash-in at WrestleMania was going to happen at some point. I know there are those who don't like it but it still doesn't take away the work by Lesnar and Roman. The only downside was Rollins long reign as WWE World Heavyweight Champion. One other thing, a what if? Would the hostility Reigns faced by some portions of the fans not happened if Roman went over here? I still think it would have but maybe a little less.'

Edited by The Natural

I think in hindsight you put Roman over then and you don't mess around for the next three years or whatever with the weird stop/start push to the top. Roman either sinks or swims and I think the more years went by and the more years fans got annoyed "waiting for the coronation" just made it worse. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Both men battered each other with Lesnar on top but Reigns hanging on in there with defiance. Still remember the clothesline by Brock to Roman on the ring apron. I also remember the finishing stretch as Reigns rocked Lesnar with Superman punches and Spears but couldn't keep him down.

A Money in the Bank cash-in at WrestleMania was going to happen at some point. I know there are those who don't like it but it still doesn't take away the work by Lesnar and Roman. The only downside was Rollins long reign as WWE World Heavyweight Champion. One other thing, a what if? Would the hostility Reigns faced by some portions of the fans not happened if Roman went over here? I still think it would have but maybe a little less. 

If there was ever a time to change plans on-the-fly and give the title to Roman that was it.  He looked like a million bucks and if he won would have not had the backlash that he had for so long.  But then again, if let's say he won and Seth beat him right after that would Roman have still looked liked a million bucks?  I kind of doubt that and feel they were in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation anyway.  Now if they save the cash-in for another show then Roman winning works better.

Also liked Seth swinging the title around as a callback to how he did that in ROH.  I remember seeing a side-by-side gif of both versions that I thought was pretty cool.

• Like 2

Also, an interesting thought experiment would be to see who has been treated better on WWE TV: Seth or Roman. Yeah, we know Roman is the face of the company and the top guy but he also had so many high profile failures where Seth really has never been put in a position as a loser on TV. 

Even when Seth has been in midcard and tag roles, he's never not been a focal point of a show he's been on. Roman's gotten more play. But the gulf isn't as massive as most people pretend it is.

I'd even throw Dean in there with them. No member of the Shield has had reason to want for anything during their tenure on the main roster. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

Is she AEW bound?!?

Oh my...Just in time for my worst case WM scenario to happen where Vince restarts the match when it looks like Becky is going to win, followed by Shane interfering, followed by Steph interfering, followed by Linda making her return and interfering leading to Becky winning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Even when Seth has been in midcard and tag roles, he's never not been a focal point of a show he's been on. Roman's gotten more play. But the gulf isn't as massive as most people pretend it is.

I'd even throw Dean in there with them. No member of the Shield has had reason to want for anything during their tenure on the main roster. 

Right - even go back to the six-man tags - Rollins was given a LOT of spotlight and even scored a good number of pins. Honestly, I think a huge part of the Roman backlash was also Punk's childish "make Roman look strong" shit. Roman's booking has actually been pretty shitty and they may have been better off booking him LIKE a superman as opposed to fighting a losing battle to get him sympathy by having him have his ass kicked by Lesnar and Strowman a dozen times. 

• Like 1

I thought it really worked as a "WrestleMania Moment" as opposed to how take that usually is. Huge shock, perfectly played.

But then Rollins as champion started and I think it might be the most I've ever hated WWE.

• Like 2

Rollins has been champ-champ on two occasions: SummerSlam 2015 as World Heavyweight and US champs, and the October 22, 2018 episode of Raw as Raw Tag and IC champs. Folks would skin Roman alive if that ever happened for him. Rollins has been treated better than Reigns, always put in good spots and never undermined. 

Punk's dismissiveness toward Reigns was all because Punk wanted three indie guys in The Shield. But Kassius Ohno/Chris Hero was never a good fit for that faction. Couldn't tell Punk that, though. He always knew better (sarcasm).

As for Seth's cash-in: the moment wasn't worth the years of wandering in the wilderness. Either actually crown Roman and see what happens or pull the plug. Hedging bets with Rollins as a co-top guy, despite being no more prepared than Reigns, was exhausting.

• Like 2

I didn't necessarily hate Rollins as champion; I like him more than most 'round these parts. I hated his booking as the Authority's puppet and chicken shit that needed J&J at ringside. His style works better as a face. I think breaking up the Shield was a mistake. They could have had them persuing singles goals, but still come together to have each other's back. If they had to be split, Roman was the one that should have turned heel.

• Like 5

I also like Seth more than most and thing he's perfectly fine as a 1b to Roman's 1a in the company. I just don't think he should be a heel for a long, long time. If he is going to be a heel then he needs to stay as far away from Steph and HHH as possible. If you want a good reason for why his run as champion was so bad at times, it was HHH and Steph emasculating him on a weekly basis and making him look incredibly weak as a champion.

• Like 4